Ive been learning chords like a bitch recently. I wont post every chord I know but I have learnt the following chords in all the major and minor keys:

All Major Chords
All Minor Chords
All Major 7th Chords
All Minor 7th Chords
All Dominant 7th Chords
All Minor 7b5 Chords
All the Sus 2 Chords
All the Sus 4 Chords
All the 7sus 4 chords
All Major 6th Chords
All Minor 6th Chords
All the add 9 chords
All 6 add 9 chords
All minor 6 add 9 chords

Chords to Learn

Major 9ths
Minor 9ths
Dominant 9ths
9sus 4
Dominant 11ths
Major 13ths
Minor 13ths

----

Basically need help with the chords to learn section. I want to be a walking chord dictionary. Ive basically been learning the chords, working out what keys they go in and what scales I can use them with. Ive kind of come unstuck. I dont want any altered chords like 7#5 etc since I havent learnt how to utelise those altered chords yet. Im getting to that part of my theory slowly...

Thank you for any help!
Sat in a lab, curing diseases. They actually LET me play with chemicals!
Yeah... Just look up the chords and memorize how they're made and where your fingers go. Good job on mastering those chords so far!
█████████████████████████████████████████████
█████████████████████████████████████████████
Portugal. The Man »–
Quote by bangoodcharlote
Download Powertab (Google it) and use the chord finder.

*Feels dumb*

I have powertab and guitarpro.

I didnt know they had chord libraries.

>_>

I passed my chemistry degree so... I have a brain... Somewhere.

<_<
Do you actually know the chords, or have you just memorized a few shapes?
Someones knowledge of guitar companies spelling determines what amps you can own. Really smart people can own things like Framus because they sound like they might be spelled with a "y" but they aren't.
I know the theory of how to build chords... Ive memorised the most common shapes in those groups but yes, I do know how to build chords.
What resources did you use to learn those, is powertab good?

Knowing them by name really helps.
Main resources: Guitar teacher, AB guide to music theory, various webistes on chord construction and harmony, Jazz theory for guitar.. Miscallaneous books from my uni library on chords.

I study chemistry but I seem to read more books on music theory

>_>

Im so doing the wrong degree

<_<
I know the feeling and I'm not even doing a degree.

Cheers for the info mate!

Edit - Was just reading your profile, nice to see someone giving Malmsteen some proper credit for his amazing music and style. He really is capable of making beautiful and amazing stuff.
Last edited by Jackolas at Jun 11, 2008,
You might wanna look into:

-Diminished (1 b3 b5)
-Diminished 7th (1 b3 b5 bb7)
-Augmented (1 3 #5)
-Augmented 7th (1 3 #5 b7)
-Augmented Major 7th (1 3 #5 7)
-Augmented Minor 7th (1 b5 #5 b7)
-Minor (Major) 7th (1 b3 5 7)
-Add 11 (1 3 5 11)

There are more, but those should keep you busy for a while.
Last edited by Tsunoyukami at Jun 11, 2008,
I'd work on being able to form them really quickly and not just memorizing them. Also, for practical use, get to know what tones you can exclude when things get cluttered.
Quote by Guitardude19
A whole list of chords I should probably know
Just by curiousity, what sort of music do you play? Most music only uses major and minor chords, or powerchord (but they arent chords)
that's a pretty hefty list. if you don't want altered chords then you have basically most of groups.

learn inversions and voicings using open strings.
Quote by demonofthenight
Just by curiousity, what sort of music do you play? Most music only uses major and minor chords, or powerchord (but they arent chords)

My main influence is Malmsteen so Im a wanna be Malmsteen. I just want to learn everything and anything that will help me be a well rounded better guitar player.

I play classical guitar
Blues
Bit of Jazz
Rock
Metal
Flamenco (well... Started learning it recently).
Quote by Guitardude19
I play classical guitar
Blues
Bit of Jazz
Rock
Metal
Flamenco (well... Started learning it recently).
Lucky you. Most of that stuff is lead based (for guitar), or powerchord based. Unless you play big band jazz? Something tells me your more into fusion though.

I think the weirdest chord I've seen in blues is a ninth chord. Once I thought I saw a Xmadd13 chord. But still, very simple chords.