So, basically, I can't bend my pinky without also bending my ring finger with it and, to some degree, my middle finger too. It's actually physically impossible for me to bend my pinky independently right now. Is this something I can't change, or can I work around it (like finger exercises etc...), because this little problem is starting to really get on my nerves.
Signature? What's a signature?

Quote by WlCmToTheJungle
the house burnt down
pics coming soon!
<.<
>,>

Quote by metalscott76
No!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Best theory lesson EVER!
I believe the ring finger has to slightly move when the pinky is moved, due to the muscle in both fingers. I'm also totally clueless and get any information I know off the internet... so, I'm probably wrong.
HOLY FCKING SHlT
i never actually noticed...I CANNOT DO THAT EITHER.
(seriously i just spent like two minutes giggling like a retard whilst doing it),
[on topic]
i think i'm an 'ok' finger style player (i can play what i need/ want to anyway) and ive never even noticed it as marginally a problem. my pinky is usually left propping the rest of my hand against the pick gaurd when i play
I've noticed from using the hell out of my pinky for fretting that I can bend it a significant amount without my ring finger going with it, about a half of an inch away from touching my palm.

My right hand pinky can't get within three inches of touching my palm without the ring finger going with it.

I doubt it's possible for 100% independence though as has been said about the shared tendon(s).
What you could try doing is using your thumb and index finger on one hand to hold your ring finger in place, and bend your pinky while keeping your ring finger in place with your opposite hand.
It all makes sense
We're capable of beauty
Through sounds that make on cringe
The dogs only hear us now

actually, you can have 100% independance, but it is considered double jointed-ness, ive been lucky enough to be passed that down from my dad, so, it is in fact possible
Turquoise Team Beasts!
Quote by Xj2252bX
actually, you can have 100% independance, but it is considered double jointed-ness, ive been lucky enough to be passed that down from my dad, so, it is in fact possible

I'd like to see some research on this before you make such an extraordinary claim. There are numerous factors which may limit the independence of individual fingers, including active AND passive motion. The anatomy of the hand and its interaction with the nervous system also limits its ability. I'm not saying that it's not impossible to attain efficient technique, but it is impossible to attain true finger independence because of involuntary limitations.
Last edited by silvadolla at Jun 13, 2008,
thats a normal hinderance, like others have said its our anatomy. and the only way i know to really overcome it is to start using your pinky more so it becomes more dextrious and controllable. it seems like a lot of new players (myself included) blame their anatomy for their in ability to use their pinky.

i do know one player whos pinkys really are screwed up though, since birth they have been locked in a 90* L shape. the 1st joint from the hand is fine, the second is at 90* and is immobile, and the third is at 180* with very limited immobility. its weird he can put his hand on a table and push on his joints and they dont move, and both hands are the same way. he cand fret notes on the B and e strings with his pinky but it prevents him from playing some chords, and he has to move his hand alot more. but hes accually becoming a fairly decent player despite it
this is my song. i made it out of music. please help it grow big and strong by criticising it mercilessly