and some blues tones for fartin around at home

thinking Roland Cube, Peavey Bandit or VOX with 1 12" and around 50-100 watts

any others?.... opinions?

plan to get an Epi Elitist LP... maybe
Vox for sure.

They rule with blues and can definitely handle GNR and Metallica.

I don't listen to RAGE enough to know if it could, but the Vox Valvetronix series are very versatile.

Kudos to you if you get an Epiphone Elitist Les Paul, they're supposed to be fantastic.
i hate rage against the machine...anyways a vox would be fine for your gnr, but idk about your metallica...it would prly be fine though...
Quote by Jack Off Jill
Better than hooked on crack, I suppose. I'd rather know my kids are safe at home beating their meat than out in the world robbing old women for their crack fix.

Quote by *sigh*
What a huge coincidence. I have a butthole also.
i think you should re-think how much you want to spend on your amp opposed to the guitar.

btw i would say the vox then.
Oh, and there's no point to buy 100w SS amp. It'll sound awful. You'll get much better tube amp for the money ( though it has much lesser wattage, it'll still sound pretty loudly ).g

██ ██
██ ██
██ ██

Why SS? Why not go tube?
Bands to see before I die:
Iron Maiden
Foo Fighters
Megadeth
Reel Big Fish
Rush
Streetlight Manifesto

Gear:
Epi LP Standard
Washburn Strat
Line 6 Spider (Yes, I know it's bad)

GAS:
Ibanez RG3570Z
Digitech Whammy
dont want to deal with changing tubes at this point in my life

as far as price.. <$500 or so

and not too worried about distortion. most decent size combo amps ive played sounded alright. i just turn up the gain all the way, turn my guitar volume all the way up and slowly turn the amps volume up. most do alright that way.

also plan to get a mulit effects pedal, so not too worried
you only need to change tubes if you crank it at high volume and blast it for hours. and multi effect pedals are crap compare to the real deals. for 500 you can get a peavey valveking which will destroy the vox any day
I've got a mate with a Peavey Valveking, and it has brought him nothing but grief. Constantly breaks down for various things, not always tubes, I knocked it once on a wall carrying it to one of our gigs, and three of the buttons fell off. The amp itself sounds like crap. I wouldn't recommend a Peavey Valveking to anyone. Yeah they're cheap 100W valve amps. That's all they are. You gotta spend some money to get a nice valve amp. And no matter what valve amp you get, you do have to change tubes from time to time, no matter how you play it. Tubes are like lightbulbs.
Quote by kckyle
you only need to change tubes if you crank it at high volume and blast it for hours. and multi effect pedals are crap compare to the real deals. for 500 you can get a peavey valveking which will destroy the vox any day

This is an intelligent post.

Looking at musiciansfriend, an Epi Elitist LP Standard would be around $1400 at most retailers. With that money, you could find a used Orange Rocker 30 combo, a wide assortment of Peavey tube amps, and any number of other things.

Spend more on the amp. Although, I don't particularly recommend the Valveking.
Quote by Martin Scott
I've got a mate with a Peavey Valveking, and it has brought him nothing but grief. Constantly breaks down for various things, not always tubes, I knocked it once on a wall carrying it to one of our gigs, and three of the buttons fell off. The amp itself sounds like crap. I wouldn't recommend a Peavey Valveking to anyone. Yeah they're cheap 100W valve amps. That's all they are. You gotta spend some money to get a nice valve amp. And no matter what valve amp you get, you do have to change tubes from time to time, no matter how you play it. Tubes are like lightbulbs.

my friend has a 1992 marshall jcm900 half stack. that thing sounds wonderful and the backplate for changing the tube haven't even been touched. if you do constant gigging and abuse your amp then yes you need to have a constant maintenance. but if your careful and take care of the amp. then you won't run into so much troubles. as for your mate with the peavey valveking. just because his amp crapped out dosen't mean everyone's is the same.
Quote by Flying Couch
This is an intelligent post.

Looking at musiciansfriend, an Epi Elitist LP Standard would be around $1400 at most retailers. With that money, you could find a used Orange Rocker 30 combo, a wide assortment of Peavey tube amps, and any number of other things.

Spend more on the amp. Although, I don't particularly recommend the Valveking.

it dosesn't have to be the valveking. TS you can also try the peavey classic 30. or the crate dimino something something which i forgot lol. the classic 30 is a really nice little tube amp(comparing to other valve amp size)
Quote by kckyle
it dosesn't have to be the valveking. TS you can also try the peavey classic 30. or the crate dimino something something which i forgot lol. the classic 30 is a really nice little tube amp(comparing to other valve amp size)

I just bought a Classic 30 myself and I highly recommend it.

Totally irrelevant: just looked at your sig. You have a Switchblade. :drools:
Quote by Flying Couch
I just bought a Classic 30 myself and I highly recommend it.

Totally irrelevant: just looked at your sig. You have a Switchblade. :drools:

lol your enviousness is appreciated. although i kinda regret now cause i could've got a trilogy. which looks wayy cooler and sounds better. but for small gig and band practice the switchblade do more then fine with all the settings and fx
idk, never had a tube amp. how often do you have to change the tubes if you play like an hour a day, no stupidly loud levels?
as long as you don't do stupid stuff with it. or like to throw the amp around. you won't have to change the tubes for a longg time.
Yeah, probably like once a year at the MAX, but more like every two or three years if you don't use the amp too much. I haven't touched the tubes in my valveking yet, and I bought it used last February.
Telecaster - SG - Jaguar
Princeton Reverb, Extra Reverb
P-Bass - Mustang Bass
Apogee Duet 2 - Ableton Suite
Vox makes impressive sounds that match Gnr and Metallica.

But then again Kirk Hammett uses Randalls and Slash Uses Marshalls.

it just comes down to preference.
I've had my valveking for about a year I think... Haven't changed the tubes and it sounds fine to me. And whats wrong with changing tubes? You need to change the strings on your guitar every so often, this is hardly any different...
Yamaha RGX 520FZ
Squier Affinitys Strat (customized!)
Johnson 620 Player Acoustic

Boss HM3 hyper metal
Boss CH1 super chorus
Zoom G1X

Peavey Valveking Royal 8
New: Peavey JSX Mini Collosal
i can pull couple marshall tones with just couple of tweaks from the my switchblade. you dont have to have the same amp to get the same tone.
Quote by kckyle
my friend has a 1992 marshall jcm900 half stack. that thing sounds wonderful and the backplate for changing the tube haven't even been touched. if you do constant gigging and abuse your amp then yes you need to have a constant maintenance. but if your careful and take care of the amp. then you won't run into so much troubles. as for your mate with the peavey valveking. just because his amp crapped out dosen't mean everyone's is the same.

Of course yeah, there may be good ones. All I've ever heard about them is bad things, and the only one I've known has been ridiculously crap. I couldn't believe it. This was supposed to be a gig-worthy amp that fell to pieces if you knocked it slightly. Gig-worthy indeed! I think there's just a lot of lemons out there as far as them Valveking amps go. If that's true what you say about your mate's Marshall, then he's a lucky bloke. I don't know anyone with a valve amp who doesn't change the valves once a year (ish). I don't even think it's a big deal really. Like that other guy said, you change the strings on your guitar. It's just one of them things. Valves crap out on you for the same reason that light bulbs randomly do. It's not that you 'abuse them' or anything.

When they go, you replace them, and that's it. By the same token, I know a guy who's had the same strings on his guitar for years. All he does is play a bit of rhythm, and none them have snapped yet. They're absolutely black, it's disgusting. They sound terrible of course, too. So yeah, maybe his tubes havent 'broken', but they're probably nothing like they were when they were new.
Last edited by Martin Scott at Jun 11, 2008,
Quote by Martin Scott
Of course yeah, there may be good ones. All I've ever heard about them is bad things, and the only one I've known has been ridiculously crap. I couldn't believe it. This was supposed to be a gig-worthy amp that fell to pieces if you knocked it slightly. Gig-worthy indeed! I think there's just a lot of lemons out there as far as them Valveking amps go. If that's true what you say about your mate's Marshall, then he's a lucky bloke. I don't know anyone with a valve amp who doesn't change the valves once a year (ish). I don't even think it's a big deal really. Like that other guy said, you change the strings on your guitar. It's just one of them things. Valves crap out on you for the same reason that light bulbs randomly do. It's not that you 'abuse them' or anything.

When they go, you replace them, and that's it. By the same token, I know a guy who's had the same strings on his guitar for years. All he does is play a bit of rhythm, and none them have snapped yet. They're absolutely black, it's disgusting. They sound terrible of course, too. So yeah, maybe his tubes havent 'broken', but they're probably nothing like they were when they were new.

yeah well your forgetting the fact string cost like 4 bucks a pack while one single tube cost around 20-30. so for me i'll have to spend 120 everytime i wanna change them. thank god i didn't get the duotone which would end up being 20x8=160 .

fortunately for me i take care of my amp and I won't be spending the same amount of money as a new boss pedal any time soon
I'm pretty sure anyone who has ever owned a tube amp probably 9/10 times wont ever go back to SS for sound quality. Tubes are so much better than you won't ever want to see a SS amp again. You would be way better off spending more money on the amp than guitar. I have a valveking and I love it other than the stock distortion/overdrive, if you purchase a great distortion pedals then I'm sure you'll love it as well. Also, tubes aren't that difficult to replace other than costs so its not that big of a deal.
^+1

i tried the Vox VT and it seemed like it would fun for about ....2 months

no offense TS as i've been there done that

i didn't read all of this thread but my opinion based on what i read here earlier is go all Valve amp.