ok so i play right handed
but my rythym is left handed
shes been going on about learning right handed incase the heads of the guitars hit off each other while were playing
is it really worth all the bother????
im not too sure so any help will be greatly appreciated
My name is Vikki. Use it

We took the last train
Out of the city
To plan our great escape
theres no need to worry i dont think stages are that small
Gear:
Guitars/ Basses:
PRS SE singlecut w/Tremolo
Epiphone Sg
Epiphone Thunderbird

Waiting in the wings:
Squier Strat mod
(soon to start)

Amps:
Line 6 Spider JAM
Peavey Max 115 bass amp
No it's not worth the bother haha. I'd reccomend carrying on the way she's playing, there's nothing wrong with playing left handed, but the ability to play with both hands is a rare, and amazing one
klkl thanks i wasnt too keen on her playing right handed coz shed have to learn all the chords ect.. all over again
but shes really protective of her guitar and was like "im gonna learn right so it dosent get broked"
thanks for the help
My name is Vikki. Use it

We took the last train
Out of the city
To plan our great escape
SWITCH NOW!!!!!!!!!!!! PLEAZE, IF YOU LOVE HER YOU'LL MAKE HER SWITCH!!!!!!! ALL LEFTY RYTHM GUITARISTS SUCK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! JUST LOOK AT ZACKY VENGEANCE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!(oh am i gonna get flamed for this or what? >
Quote by GLandolina
erm... why not switch sides? then it would be impossible to clash.

i never thought of that
ill tell my rythym then
hopefully shell listen
My name is Vikki. Use it

We took the last train
Out of the city
To plan our great escape
Quote by Lunchbox362
SWITCH NOW!!!!!!!!!!!! PLEAZE, IF YOU LOVE HER YOU'LL MAKE HER SWITCH!!!!!!! ALL LEFTY RYTHM GUITARISTS SUCK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! JUST LOOK AT ZACKY VENGEANCE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!(oh am i gonna get flamed for this or what? >

I was actually gonna suggest doing what Avenged Sevenfold do. If the stage is THAT small, stand on her left hand side, so both guitars are facing outwards. Looks cool.

Also, what makes left handed rythym guitarists bad? How is it different to right-handed playing?
Jackson Kelly KE3 w/P-Rails; Aria Pro II TSB-350
• ZVex Fuzz Factory; DigiTech Whammy; Danelectro Fish & Chips; Marshall ED1; Fulltone OCD; DigiTech Whammy; Marshall JMP1; Boss CE3; Vox AC4TV

EMU 0404; Reason/Record; M-Audio AV40
Quote by ParamoreMadXD
i never thought of that
ill tell my rythym then
hopefully shell listen

Yep, sometimes the most obvious, staring us right in the face, solution to a problem can completely pass us by for some unknown reason.

This whole thread actualy brings up an interesting point. How do people become left handed musicians in the first place?
A left handed writer is understandable as you have the choice of placing a pen in your right or left hand and if you happen to be naturaly left handed, you will always naturaly favour the left, but most musical instruments are designed to be played with both hands and the very first time someone picks up an instrument and attempts to play it, it feels completely alien to us whichever way around we play it.
It's the same thing as learning to eat with a knife and fork. As very little children, we generaly have to learn which way around the knife and fork go, and quite often our parents correct us when we get it wrong for whichever hand we happen to favour. But the fact that this has to be taught means that it really doesn't matter which way around they go, there isn't any natural way around to hold a knife and fork until we have gotten sufficiently used to holding them a cirtain way.
I know a guitarist who's son is naturaly left handed, but because he himself is right handed and because he taught his son to play on a right handed guitar, his son now naturaly plays right handed.
The drummer in my own band however is a lefty who plays drums left handed, and he constantly moans about it and wishes that he'd learned right handed instead because it's a pain in the arse whenever he's involved in a kit share at gigs.
His dad is a right handed drummer (who played for 60s legends Freddie and the Dreamers for a while when their drummer died) who taught his son to drum. Our drummer says it did make it easier to learn because they would set their kits up facing each other and whatever his dad did, he repeated as a mirror image, which is something that apparently comes more natural to us, probably as a result of our constant use of mirrors when brushing our hair for instance.
Of course, you can buy a drum kit and set it up either left or right handed. Apart from the Staccato kit, which has a very definate 'right handed' side drum, and ironicaly, is the kit that our drummer chooses to play. Typical huh? He has to set it up with the right handed side drum facing backwards.
Strangely enough, he plays guitar right handed.
In the meantime, guitar manufacturers are charging way over the normal price of a 'normal' right handed guitar for left handed guitars.
This is because people who are left handed and wish to take up an instrument generaly assume that they will need a left handed instument, when in actual fact, nothing could be further from the truth, and the guitar manufacturers are laughing all the way to the bank.
So if you know any left handed kids that are interested in taking up guitar, or any other instrument come to think of it, do them a favour, tell 'em to learn it right handed. It won't make a blind bit of difference playing wise in the long run but at least it'll save 'em some money and allow them to share an instrument with someone, even if it's just jamming on their buddy's guitar.
Last edited by SlackerBabbath at Jun 15, 2008,
Quote by SlackerBabbath
*wall o' text*

Yeah. I'm a natural lefty, but playing guitar left handed is just bizarre.
It's pretty weird too, because I'm totally blind in my left eye, so I can't slyly glance down to check on the fretboard
ah well she says shes learning right and theres nutin i can do
its gonna take ages for her to learn again
and she wont listen:S
My name is Vikki. Use it

We took the last train
Out of the city
To plan our great escape
Quote by ParamoreMadXD
ah well she says shes learning right and theres nutin i can do
its gonna take ages for her to learn again
and she wont listen:S

Talk to her again about it in two weeks.
ok
shell get annoyed in a while anyway and start playing left again
My name is Vikki. Use it

We took the last train
Out of the city
To plan our great escape
Learning how to play guitar both ways is one thing, but doing so because you're afraid of hitting somebody with your guitar sounds like a joke to me. Seriously, if you can't coordinate yourselves to avoid hitting each other on stage, I doubt you'll have any better luck completely relearning how to play a guitar the other way.

It's funny you mention that part about learning right handed. I originally picked up a guitar left handed. Who knows why, I'm right handed for everything, except most sports. However I was told I should learn to play guitar right handed (I'm so glad I did, as I can't imagine paying the extra money for a left handed guitar, or missing out on being able to just pick up any guitar and play it)
Quote by asator
SlackerBabbath, your wisdom is epic

I'm just experienced with women.
Last edited by SlackerBabbath at Jun 16, 2008,