Page 1 of 10
In light of the other thread I have decided to make a thread dedicated to guns and the military in general.

So whether you are a gun enthusiast, hater, aspiring enlistee, history buff, or just an arm chair general, come join the party!

I guess I will get it started. I am hoping to get my gun license within the next couple months. I'd really love a German 98k. How much would this cost me in my neck of the woods? (Canada.)
''Technological advancements are like an axe in the hands of a pathological criminal.'' - Albert Einstein
Whats an arm chair general?

I WON'T GET TO GET WHAT I'M AFTER, 'TIL THE DAY I DIE

Quote by ealtdharkon

If there's fluff of the muff,
She's old enough!

...gotta warn you though, witty rhymes do NOT hold up in court...

I live in the US. we have a second amendment that states we have the right to bear arms. any fag that thinks they can take up presidency and stop us is idiotic. if you ban guns criminals will still get them, but the good people, that are about to get robbed and possibly killed by someone, are totally defenseless.
Quote by ishalleatyou
Whats an arm chair general?

Someone who is knowledgeable on military topics without being a member.
''Technological advancements are like an axe in the hands of a pathological criminal.'' - Albert Einstein
Quote by whatadrag
I live in the US. we have a second amendment that states we have the right to bear arms. any fag that thinks they can take up presidency and stop us is idiotic. if you ban guns criminals will still get them, but the good people, that are about to get robbed and possibly killed by someone, are totally defenseless.

I don't think any of the candidates is looking to abolish the second amendment?
Quote by whatadrag

"Right to bare arms" means we have a right as individual states to have milita's for state defence against government...it doesnt actually guarentee rights to individual people
my hovercraft is full of eels
arm chair general lol.

ahem, but i have a question for weapons buffs, i preferably want this to be answered by either US military personal or someone with experience in the weapon.

anyway, i jsut wondered, what round does the M16 assault rifle use? my friend told me the 7.62mm round, but wikipedia says the 5.56mm round.

any help?
Quote by FrenchyFungus

Awww, thanks Frenchy

Quote by Cobain_Is_King
I got a packet of Love Hearts when I was six and every one said 'You Have a Tiny Penis'

Hate humans? Click here
I would also love a Karabiner 98K, or an M1 Garand (Everyone loves them right?).

I'm not totally old school though, can't wait for the Railgun to be properly developed.

^^Some M16's do use the 7.62 round, but its not NATO standard or something.
Last edited by Oli_88 at Jun 11, 2008,
Quote by thedudemeister
arm chair general lol.

ahem, but i have a question for weapons buffs, i preferably want this to be answered by either US military personal or someone with experience in the weapon.

anyway, i jsut wondered, what round does the M16 assault rifle use? my friend told me the 7.62mm round, but wikipedia says the 5.56mm round.

any help?

It's 5.56 mm. The AK 47 uses a 7.62.
Quote by rickyy
It's 5.56 mm. The AK 47 uses a 7.62.

i thought that as well, however in the film BHD, one of the rangers pulls a clip out of and AK47 and sticks it into his M16. would that work?

it could have been the M4 carbine, but i doubt that would as well
Quote by FrenchyFungus

Awww, thanks Frenchy

Quote by Cobain_Is_King
I got a packet of Love Hearts when I was six and every one said 'You Have a Tiny Penis'

Hate humans? Click here
In America we have the right to bear arms and the right to arm bears. Its your decision.
I know now what I knew then, but I didn't know then what I know now
I think it was the AK 74 that he did it with. I believe that gun uses a 5.56 mm.

It's actually 5.45, I am not sure if it would work but its roughly the same size, unlike a 7.62
I'm in a Navy JROTC program at my high school and we had an orientation today. I can't remember his name, but there was a two star Army Maj. General that came today to talk about careers and whatnot. And since the US Army's birthday is rather close (June 14, 1775) we had a small celebration which was pretty fun.

I'd never join the Army though... the Navy is where it's at
Quote by blackenedktulu
CFH82, I love you. I didn't laugh, but my god, I love you.

Quote by Zero-Hartman
Holy shit, that was epic. A mighty roar escapeth'd my mouth.

Quote by WyvernOmega
I saw a penis.

last.fm
Quote by whatadrag

Explain to me why I live a peaceful live without a gun then.

In my eyes:
Guns for hunting: okay
Guns for collecting: okay
Guns for target shooting: okay
Guns for self defense: Not cool. By saying you own a weapon for that purpose, you say that you are willing to use it agains people, meaning shooting them when you feel threatened. Now that would not be a problem if everybody was responsible enough to handle guns with care, but seeing that any given nutcase can get a gun in some places of the world, I don't like this particular idea of self defense.
Quote by rickyy
I think it was the AK 74 that he did it with. I believe that gun uses a 5.56 mm.

It's actually 5.45, I am not sure if it would work but its roughly the same size, unlike a 7.62

ah ok, cheers
Quote by FrenchyFungus

Awww, thanks Frenchy

Quote by Cobain_Is_King

Hate humans? Click here
Quote by TheQuailman

In my eyes:
Guns for self defense: Not cool. By saying you own a weapon for that purpose, you say that you are willing to use it agains people, meaning shooting them when you feel threatened. Now that would not be a problem if everybody was responsible enough to handle guns with care, but seeing that any given nutcase can get a gun in some places of the world, I don't like this particular idea of self defense.

Up here in Canada you have to pass a course in order to be able to legally purchase firearms. Is it like that in the US?
Quote by tr3nt
http://youtube.com/watch?v=nYvEFATaRMY

That is what inspired this thread.. Epic..

i know, it is quite cool, but i dont like it much. i prefer the browning .50 cal., just for its reassuring doom doom doom when its fired
Quote by FrenchyFungus

Awww, thanks Frenchy

Quote by Cobain_Is_King

Hate humans? Click here
Quote by whatadrag
we have the right to bear arms

How about other animals? Haha I'm funny

Guns no good.
I'm dancing in the moonlight
It's caught me in its spotlight
Dancing in the moonlight
On this long hot summer night

Martin D-28
Quote by TheQuailman

In my eyes:

what I'm saying is:

I know several people in my school that smoke marijuana, which is illegal. so making guns illegal means that bad people can still get them if they want, but the average person isn't going to need one in the case of an emergency.

EDIT: I meant congress not presidency in my first post.
Quote by tr3nt

No, it was my desire to enlist and I wanted to see if there are any like minded peoples here.

Quote by rickyy
No, it was my desire to enlist and I wanted to see if there are any like minded peoples here.

enlist? as in sign up? yea, im planning to join the army. would be quite a fun job, despite the risks
Quote by FrenchyFungus

Awww, thanks Frenchy

Quote by Cobain_Is_King

Hate humans? Click here
Quote by thedudemeister
enlist? as in sign up? yea, im planning to join the army. would be quite a fun job, despite the risks

Yep I am going to sign up, hopefully around Dec, Jan. I don't know how I will break it to my family.
Quote by tr3nt

:eek!: Epic!!!

Looks like it's shooting lava in the vid

What type of rounds does it use?

And what song is that?
Quote by blackenedktulu
CFH82, I love you. I didn't laugh, but my god, I love you.

Quote by Zero-Hartman
Holy shit, that was epic. A mighty roar escapeth'd my mouth.

Quote by WyvernOmega
I saw a penis.

last.fm
I don't know how much a K98 will cost in Canada.When it comes to military surplus the condition,maker,year can all play a part in the worth of the firearm.

In America the current K98's that are coming from Russia who captured them are running about $400 to $500.But these have been reconditioned.

A original non reconditioned one will go for $800 and up depending.
Quote by rickyy
Yep I am going to sign up, hopefully around Dec, Jan. I don't know how I will break it to my family.

im planning to do that when im 18, well, if im still unemployed by my 18th birthday (23rd jan next yr). then i will sign up, i dont know how ill tell them, i might jsut blurt it out over dinner some time, but i need to beef up.

and CFH82, its firing shells.
Quote by FrenchyFungus

Awww, thanks Frenchy

Quote by Cobain_Is_King

Hate humans? Click here
Quote by LK_revival
I don't know how much a K98 will cost in Canada.When it comes to military surplus the condition,maker,year can all play a part in the worth of the firearm.

In America the current K98's that are coming from Russia who captured them are running about $400 to $500.But these have been reconditioned.

A original non reconditioned one will go for $800 and up depending.

Damn.

Thanks for the info!
look into a Yugoslavian M48.iT IS BASICALLY THE SAME DESIGN BUT ARE GOING FOR MUCH CHEAPER.

sorry my caps were on by mistake.
Quote by LK_revival
look into a Yugoslavian M48.iT IS BASICALLY THE SAME DESIGN BUT ARE GOING FOR MUCH CHEAPER.

sorry my caps were on by mistake.

Yeah I'd like an m48. But I want a genuine 98 for the historical significance.
I'm a huge arm chair general! My whole life I've just had this intense interest in military related stuff. Any era, from ancient to medieval, and WW2 to present day. I find it all terribly fascinating; the weapons, equipment, vehicles, tactics, strategy, grand strategy, etc. I'm currently reading the book Strategy, by B.H. Liddell Hart which is an expanded version of his book The Strategy of the Indirect Approach. Its absolutely a must read.
We're only strays.
Quote by Martyr's Prayer
I'm a huge arm chair general! My whole life I've just had this intense interest in military related stuff. Any era, from ancient to medieval, and WW2 to present day. I find it all terribly fascinating; the weapons, equipment, vehicles, tactics, strategy, grand strategy, etc. I'm currently reading the book Strategy, by B.H. Liddell Hart which is an expanded version of his book The Strategy of the Indirect Approach. Its absolutely a must read.

Nice, I am really into sniper books. I really want this one.

Guns don't kill people. People kill people.

Alright! That's my contribution to this thread. See ya!

*runs out of thread shooting random bystanders*
-\_/-
Quote by Fred1000000
BlackZeppelin is like Ghandi. With a bigger sense of humor.
it's the silence between the notes that makes the music.

The true Colt M16 is 5.56 only. There are companys that make AR rifles in 7.62 tho. Pretty much nowadays, you can get an AR in whatever caliber you want. I own 2, a Bushmaster in 5.56, and a Stag in 6.8. I also have a .22LR conversion upper from Spikes Tactical
You know whos got hands? The devil, and he uses 'em for holding; Preacher from Dewey Cox.
Quote by thedudemeister
i thought that as well, however in the film BHD, one of the rangers pulls a clip out of and AK47 and sticks it into his M16. would that work?

it could have been the M4 carbine, but i doubt that would as well

Hoot? lol. He takes the mag out of the AK, but he doesnt put it in his M4. He puts it in his pack. Im guessing he was supposed to be running low on 5.56 so he was going to have to scavenge an AK.
You know whos got hands? The devil, and he uses 'em for holding; Preacher from Dewey Cox.
Quote by PRSGuitars4ME

The true Colt M16 is 5.56 only. There are companys that make AR rifles in 7.62 tho. Pretty much nowadays, you can get an AR in whatever caliber you want. I own 2, a Bushmaster in 5.56, and a Stag in 6.8. I also have a .22LR conversion upper from Spikes Tactical

Yeah theres a AR-15 style rifle that is interchangeable between .308 and .50, which is just awesome. Forgot what it was called. The .50 round it shoots looks like an old .45-70 round, just bigger lol.
We're only strays.
Quote by PRSGuitars4ME

This man is correct. Ever heard of the .50 Beowulf round? It's designed for assault rifles. There's also several others that are gigantic, such as a Grendel round. My friend owns an AR-15 in .22LR.

On the whole AK-74/M16 thing, it would not work. The mag dimensions are not the same. Whoever made that movie is EPIC PHAIL.

Has anyone seen that .70 cal revolver in youtube? There's also a .70 cal shotgun.....the shotgun sounds like thunder.
Get a Carvin. Do it.
Quote by ferretface

This man is correct. Ever heard of the .50 Beowulf round? It's designed for assault rifles.

Thats it!!
We're only strays.

Guns for self defense: Not cool. By saying you own a weapon for that purpose, you say that you are willing to use it agains people, meaning shooting them when you feel threatened. Now that would not be a problem if everybody was responsible enough to handle guns with care, but seeing that any given nutcase can get a gun in some places of the world, I don't like this particular idea of self defense.[/QUOTE]

If you own a weapon you damn well better be able to use it against someone if you have to. There would be a whole lot less violent crime in the US if more people were armed. Gang-bangin hood rats are going to think twice about mugging someone, if they know that they might get their stupid ass shot.

And about the part in bold letters.............................GET THE **** OVER IT!!! I personally dont give half a **** if you dont like that method of self defense. I REFUSE to be a victim, as does my fiancee, and my parents, and my sister, and millions of other law abiding people in the United States. Be a victim if you want to, someone else will save your ass.
Quote by CFH82
:eek!: Epic!!!

Looks like it's shooting lava in the vid

What type of rounds does it use?

And what song is that?

The song is Fight Fire With Fire by Metallica.

That thing is badass. Reminds me of the turrets on Combine dropships.