I know a decent amount of theory such as, relative minors, modes, dominant fifths, triads, 7ths, 9ths, etc...., intervals and I don't know what else to learn. I know there's more but what is it? Also I'm trying to learn to follow the rhythm sections in songs closer instead of just playing random notes in a scale and hitting the right notes with some arpeggios and was wondering what is the best way to learn the arpeggios and the notes in order to follow closer. Thanks
if you know what chords they're playing you can use that
for me, when i want to resolve the solo (usually at the end of the solo or when there is a change in the "feel" of the song) i just hit the root of the chord on beat 1 (this is for generic rock etc. basically anything in 4/4) otherwise i like use the 3rd of the chord but it all depends on the feel you want to get using the 5th might be good if you want to drive it a bit more
for arpeggios it's good to stick to what chord they're playing at that time but sometimes you can get away with just BSing it
as for better ways to learn try doing two octave legato and staccato arpeggios and to find a shape all you have to do is find the notes in the chord and play them (if you don't know the notes on the fretboard this will be hard but your f*cked in reality if you don't know what notes you're playing so learn them if you don't know already!)
Gear:
Jackson SL-3 Soloist w/ licensed Floyd Rose
Peavey VK 100 Head
Earcandy Boa 2X12 Cab w/ 70 watt Speakers
Fender Frontman 15 Watt Practice Amp

I'M SELLING A HOHNER HR1000 GUITAR. PM ME FOR INFO.
some more good stuff to learn might be some jazz theory - learn how to substitute chords in a progression to create extensions to the harmony - and then you could apply it to your arpeggio playing
Quote by jimmyslashpage
I know a decent amount of theory such as, relative minors, modes, dominant fifths, triads, 7ths, 9ths, etc...., intervals and I don't know what else to learn. I know there's more but what is it? Also I'm trying to learn to follow the rhythm sections in songs closer instead of just playing random notes in a scale and hitting the right notes with some arpeggios and was wondering what is the best way to learn the arpeggios and the notes in order to follow closer. Thanks

One thing you could try is arpeggiating the tune. For instance lets say the tune is.....

Am7 D7 Gmaj7 Cmaj7............

pick 1 position and try to play through each arpeggio. when you get to the next chord try to connect whatever note your on to the closest note in the next arpeggio.

example:

* all 8th notes
* blue note indicates where each new chord starts
----------------------------------------------------------------------7--8
----------------------------------------------------7--------5----8----
----------------------------------5----7---4--7------7---------------
--------------------5----4---7-------------------------------------
--------------7--------------------------------------------------
-----5----8-------------------------------------------------------

then try it in different positions.

This will help you visualize your arpeggios, and connect them to make lines.
shred is gaudy music
Last edited by GuitarMunky at Jun 11, 2008,