Ok, so in a few months I'll be upgrading my gear (yes, that includes the amp, so don't bring up the fact that I have a crappy one right now). So anyway, I was looking at a few different guitars that I all like, but the only big difference between them that would affect my decision is the pickups.

First question: Are the Seymour Duncan Custom Invaders on the Synyster Custom any good? And also, can they be coil split. I read in one place that they could, but wasn't able to find any information to back that up.

Second Question: Is there any major difference between EMG 85's and EMG 89's?

I play a diverse amount of music, everything from rock to heavy metal to metalcore. So, could anyone tell me how well these humbuckers work?
Quote by RoamingConflict
In Soviet Russia, GAS deals with you.

Quote by Lumiere Rouge
A reviewer on Amazon.com reviewing an album by the band "HiM", said that HiM is "fag metal".
Can someone explain to me what is this sub genre of fag metal? I have never heard it before.
The Invaders are good quality pickups - their tone is subjective. Invaders give bass heavy, low frequency distortion that borderlines muddy. They're not very sensitive to EQ changes. It can be coil split

The difference between EMG 85s and 89s is 89s can be coil split. 89s also have slightly more mid frequencies in the output.
Schecter C-1 Classic (Antique Amber)
Ibanez JEM 7VWH
Crate Palamino Class A tube combo
Digitech RP80 Multieffects pedal
Ibanez TS9 DX Tube Screamer
i have an invader in my strat and love it. and i have played the syn custom and really liked it...........just not big on the ARTIST guitars. go on youtube and put in duncan invaders you'll get everything from........blink 182 to lamb of god. very versatile pickup!
Last edited by mmjohn at Jun 11, 2008,
The invaders are pretty good for metal IMO.

they give a lot of power to bass and lower tones which would suit metal.

Seymour Duncan doesn't disappoint.
Invaders are wank.

What amp are you getting, as that influences your pickup choice.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Quote by steven seagull
Invaders are wank.

What amp are you getting, as that influences your pickup choice.

spoken like a true WANKER.
A tube amp of some sort. Probably a Blackheart BH5H head.

And just to clear things up, I'm not looking at the Synyster Gates Custom because I like Synyster Gates. I genuinely like the guitar, from the shape to color to what I've heard so far about the sound. I'm going to go try it out, but not anytime soon. Finals suck. Lol.
Quote by RoamingConflict
In Soviet Russia, GAS deals with you.

Quote by Lumiere Rouge
A reviewer on Amazon.com reviewing an album by the band "HiM", said that HiM is "fag metal".
Can someone explain to me what is this sub genre of fag metal? I have never heard it before.
Last edited by Mlrc at Jun 11, 2008,
Quote by mmjohn

wow, you really know how to cut someone deep

Invader=muddy=toneless=crap

No need to get all pissy just because you bought a sh1tty pickup

TS - the Duncan Custom is a much better pickup, Invaders don't do anything particularly well except make noise....they're anything but versatile.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Quote by mmjohn

you got guts to tell that to a mod.

+1 to steven seagull on the Custom. never gets muddy.
Ibanez RG321MH (Air Classic/Tone Zone)
Fernandes Telecaster (Twang King/stock bridge pickup)
Blackstar HT-20 (Scumback 55 speaker/ Tung Sol tubes)
TC Electronic Nova Repeater
Lava Cables Clear Connect, Soar and Mini ELC
check the reviews on this site and harmony central............any place else and the invader has great reviews by their owners...........segull it's just your opinion. my guitar sounds AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!!! since a strat is made of alder and has a bright tone the bassier invader is a great fit for heavy styles of music. also fender must have thought it was a good choice.........they put it in a artist series strat.
Last edited by mmjohn at Jun 12, 2008,
Just my 2 cents. I have the Invader in the bridge and neck and I love it. My guitar has a mahogany body. This pickup is very high output so I back down some on the gain with my amp and I get amazingly clear and detailed distortion. I can get anything from punk to 80's metal to death metal without any mud. I also find that with this pickup I need to sometimes back down a little on the volume knob on the guitar.

This pickup has alot of character to my ears and I like it better than EMG's which I have also used.

However, It can be muddy if you use too much gain.
seymour duncan is the best brand of pickup but if your just going to play heavy metal and metalcore you might as well just get the emgs because it sounds like your just going to be chugging away on your fat e string...
Quote by Jack Off Jill
Better than hooked on crack, I suppose. I'd rather know my kids are safe at home beating their meat than out in the world robbing old women for their crack fix.

Quote by *sigh*
What a huge coincidence. I have a butthole also.