I want to change the pickups on my S470, which I'm going to change (before installing new pickups) to HH configuration.

I use a Laney VC-15, and the tone from that is lovely, but the stock pickups are a little sterile/dull/lifeless.

I'm looking for 2 passive humbuckers which could give me a richer, more dynamic sound, and maybe improve sustain a little (higher output?).

For a bridge pickup, I'm looking for a very clear tone, both clean and with overdrive: almost single-coil-like when clean, and able to keep the clarity of notes when overdriven.

For the neck, I want smooth, sustaining tone, but with bite to it: not too bassy (I know e.q is more important for this, but still), which isn't too muddy playing chords.

I have looked at the Seymour Duncan and Dimarzio websites a bit, but I'd quite like some opinions, as I don't know much about pickups and I won't get a chance to try them out, which makes it a little harder than shopping for guitars or amps.

Price is a factor; I'm willing to pay up to about £120/$235 (I might stretch that a tiny bit) for both, but would much rather pay less if possible.

Sorry about the large amount of text and information, and thanks for any help!
Quote by XxLloydxX
How young would you consider no-pedo attempt
I don't know why you would change the pickups in this thing because i love mine. They sound great, but whatever floats your boat. I would look into some of the Seymour Duncans. Possibly the 59's because they sound the best to me. I'm no expert though.
Fender American Stratocaster
Gibson Les Paul Standard
79 Gibson Les Paul Custom
Suhr Pro Series S5
Ovation Custom Balladeer
Mesa Boogie Mark IV with 4x12 Recto Cab
Looking for Ibanez RGA model or Petrucci PM me for details
I have a Washburn BT-6 with a Seymour Duncan SH-12 George Lynch Screamin Demon in the bridge position (about $95 USA) and a Seymour Duncan SH-4 in the neck position (about $70) which is pretty much dead on to what you described in sound.

But there are also other factors that affect basic tone: string gauge, pick, what type of bridge and even what capacitor on the tone pot. Sometimes it is just a hit and miss. I bought a DiMarzio Evolution because it sounded so good in a friends guitar but it sounded like mud in mine, and then went with the Seymour Duncans
DiMarzio + Ibanez = Win.

There's a ton I'd suggest though, Evolution is a really nice, crisp and defined pickup in the Bridge, but it's not for everyone. There's also the Breed and Tone Zone, I don't have as much experience with the Breed, but I have a TZ in my Ibanez and a TZ S in my Strat and love them both.

For the neck, you could also go with a Breed or a PAF Pro which I also have in my Ibanez, which sounds amazing and is currently my favorite neck pickup.
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
Swineshead AMP, Runaway, Warthog or Condor are all worth looking into depending on what kind of output you want. I'd go for something like AMP in the neck (with a coil split, obviously), and a Warthog or Runaway in the bridge. Maybe even a pair of AMPs if you want a lot of versatility.
A dwarf might hear you. What then?

My Music
^ agreed, swineshead are bound to be worth a look for that budget. corduroy's rockmonkey pickups too (though i haven't tried them, but hear great things). EDIT: also, don't judge single coils based on your stock one- stick a nice single coil in there and you might find that you actually like them.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Dave_Mc
: also, don't judge single coils based on your stock one- stick a nice single coil in there and you might find that you actually like them.

I don't really have anything against single coils, I just have no use for 3 pickups in this guitar, and I can't be bothered to fill in the cavities a bit to accommodate single coils.
Quote by XxLloydxX
I'm thinking Swineshead too....a pair of AMPs is what my gut instinct says, but maybe a Runaway bridge, AMP neck?

www.swinesheadpickups.co.uk
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
I've looked at the Swineshead pickups, and I'm going to go for a Swineshead AMP in the neck, and probably a Runaway or Warthog in the bridge.

But I'm also looking at RockMonkeyGuitars pickups (made by a UG member: CorduroyEW). They sound good, and it looks like a very personalised, good service, but I'd like a bit of a review or guide other than whats on his website. Has anyone ever bought/tried any?
Quote by XxLloydxX
Quote by timi_hendrix
Swineshead AMP, Runaway, Warthog or Condor are all worth looking into depending on what kind of output you want. I'd go for something like AMP in the neck (with a coil split, obviously), and a Warthog or Runaway in the bridge. Maybe even a pair of AMPs if you want a lot of versatility.

the warthog's crap for cleans in the bridge

i'd look at ceramic pups for a tighter distorted tone if thats what your after
Get off this damn forum and play your damn guitar.
^ i dunno about crap, it can sound decent if you roll the volume down, but i'd agree that the warthog is much more aimed at overdrive or distortion than cleans...

Quote by monkey_dancer
I don't really have anything against single coils, I just have no use for 3 pickups in this guitar, and I can't be bothered to fill in the cavities a bit to accommodate single coils.

i meant for the middle pickup, but that's no problem if you know you just don't want/need them in that guitar.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
well, its a plywood body, but still, i'm going through TSs amp too and theyre cold and sterile

im not one for bridge cleans anyway. neck single/split HB ftw
Get off this damn forum and play your damn guitar.
my warthog (from what i remember, anyway) is pretty warm-sounding...
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?