I'm right handed btw

am I supposed to look at my left hand, or my right hand? The hand that is on the frets or my the hand that is strumming?
You will be doing both for awhile but once you get the hang of it you will just be looking at your freting hand.
Look at whatever helps you the most, I usually switch between, but I mostly look at my left hand.
Nine planets surround the sun
Only one does the sun embrace
Upon this watered one
So much we take for granted

So let us sleep outside tonight
Lay down in our mother's arms
For here we can rest safely
Both, make sure both aspects of your technique are spot on.

I could make this post more pretentious if you like?
Quote by Jackolas
Both, make sure both aspects of your technique are spot on.

I could make this post more pretentious if you like?

Elaborate
Fretting, but if its complex picking then picking. Both equally when needed would be the best.
Depends I guess, I'm usually looking at my fretting hand though.

I have a simple question also, should my playing be half downstrokes and half upstrokes? I'm talking roughly of course, but mine are primarily downstrokes and I'm finding it hard to incorporate more up

Sorry for the hi-jack.
depends on the song for me, and also it is best to learn to look at neither, so you can learn to sing and play guitar at the same time.
"You're a twat!"- That dude in morrisons

"You Ugly git!" - That girl in the restaurant

"You Were a Mistake!" - Mum

just a few of my fans..

Doesn't matter.
If I have a chord fingered, and have to pick certain strings, I look at my picking hand.
If I have the picking down, but need to move my fretting hand, I look at the frets.
Quote by Pac-Man44
get so you dont have to do either

That's my advice. I can do it, so it can't be too ****in hard.
Quote by will123456789
depends on the song for me, and also it is best to learn to look at neither, so you can learn to sing and play guitar at the same time.

If you're playing rhythm.
Don't look at any of them ?
My gear:
-Ibanez JS 6000 Custom w/ 11-48 gauge
-Ibanez FGM 400BB w/ 10-46 gauge
-Peavey 6505 2x12 Combo
-MXR Phase 90
-Boss DD-6 Digital Delay
-Morley Wah/Volume Pro Series II
-Boss CS-3 Compression Sustainer
-Gator G-Bus 8
-Xotic BB Preamp
Quote by yellowlizard
Depends I guess, I'm usually looking at my fretting hand though.

I have a simple question also, should my playing be half downstrokes and half upstrokes? I'm talking roughly of course, but mine are primarily downstrokes and I'm finding it hard to incorporate more up

Sorry for the hi-jack.

it gets easier with time- i know my user is only from april 07, but i've played for nearly 3 years, and it comes with time and also practise, i used to have that problem but try using a chord sequence to learn up and down strokes.

just a few of my fans..

When I do look I look at my fretting hand. But after a while you won't really need to look because your hands will sort of memorize where they need to be.
Quote by that_1_dude24
Doesn't matter.
If I have a chord fingered, and have to pick certain strings, I look at my picking hand.
If I have the picking down, but need to move my fretting hand, I look at the frets.

/thread
Alright thanks alot, sorry I can't stick around too long but I'm too anxious to get back on the guitar, cya later!
Depends...left hand for riffage and alt picking....both for sweeps and tapping...
My Stuff:
Gibson Les Paul Custom
Gibson straps
Dunlop straplok
Planet wave cables
Zoom multi effects
Fretting if anything, you should never have to look at your fretting hand unless you're new to guitar or trying to learn a new style of picking. For example, I used to economy pick, but then converted to strict alternate picking and for a while I had to watch myself to make sure I was consistently going up/down, and also when you first start sweep picking you may need to watch your hand to see if it's nice and smooth. Other than cases such as this you should watch your fretting hand if any.
Quote by will123456789
it gets easier with time- i know my user is only from april 07, but i've played for nearly 3 years, and it comes with time and also practise, i used to have that problem but try using a chord sequence to learn up and down strokes.

Yeah I thought it was probably just a time thing. I'll do that, thanks
Quote by yellowlizard
If you're playing rhythm.

no not at all, big jimmy hendrix played lead and sung, and if you can play lead and sing it is a positive

just a few of my fans..

do whatever helps you.
if you have the fretting and strumming down, look around, take in the sights.
and smile

(:
Quote by GiantRaven
You are not human.

I am totally serious.

Quote by tilinmyowngrave
I was inspired by someone saying they had Millionaire on their Ipod

he's talking about me!
Quote by will123456789
no not at all, big jimmy hendrix played lead and sung, and if you can play lead and sing it is a positive

Fair point lol, but it's definitely not necessary today. It would show insane skills though :P
in the beginning i used to look at both. i look at neither nowadays. if i'm arpeggiating chords and it's some crazy ass **** i usually look at my picking hand.
Quote by guitarnoob456
Elaborate

Basically you should look at both your left and right hand to make sure both are doing what they should be doing to the highest levels of efficency and accuracy that you can. Total syncronisation and control is the goal.
Quote by master
My eyes always roll into the back of my hand when I play.

They roll back into your hand?

That is t0tally gr1m n br00tal bl4k m3talz!!!!!!111
Quote by master
My eyes always roll into the back of my hand when I play.

that and all that coke you eyeball...

just a few of my fans..

Do what Kirk Hammett does. Put up a picture of a naked chick by your playing space and stare at it. That way, you get accustomed to playing without looking at the guitar, and the boner will make you play faster. On the other hand, you'll find your foot hitting your wah pedal a lot.
I get very tense around apples...Well, I get very tense generally. I think I've fallen into the trap of blaming fruit.

Jeff

Peavey Studio Pro 112 for sale. Anyone want it?
I'm right handed btw

am I supposed to look at my left hand, or my right hand? The hand that is on the frets or my the hand that is strumming?

Decide for yourself you have a brain, use it
multicolour random messge!

FAC 13
"The hacienda must be rebuilt"