I'm looking into getting a new amp, to play at the house and such, since my other one mainly stays at the band practice area. Price range around 300 or so.

My main amp is a Randall. I'm mainly looking for something with good distortion, and some good clean as well. What would you guys suggest?
But...why would you bake a cake in the woods? No one bakes a cake in the woods! :O

...BATTLE CLERIC!
Good cleans and distortion for...? What genres??
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
Metal and rock.
If thats descriptive enough.
But...why would you bake a cake in the woods? No one bakes a cake in the woods! :O

...BATTLE CLERIC!
For a practice amp get amicrocube and pocket the extra dough for a pedal??
Fender Deluxe Strat HSS
Fender Standard Strat
Fender Highway 1 Tele
Epiphone Les Paul Standard
Orange Rocker 30 Combo
Seymour Duncan Twin Tube Mayhem
Roland Microcube
Boss Micro BR
Korg Pitchblack
EHX Holy Grail
Hohner 3/4 Classical
I'm in the same boat, but I'm not too fond of a the microcube. Can anyone suggest anything else. I don't mind buying 2nd hand either.

Sorry for threadjacking, but this thread describes my same problem. Main amp is in practice area. I have about $300 to spend on a practice amp, and I play mainly Rock and Metal.
Bigger cube? I mean, really.... that's about as good as you can find for those things in that price range. Maybe a SS Orange if you just want the tone without the modeling, but everything I know about those is secondhand.
Member of the EHX Guild

Yamaha SG500B
Danelectro Fish 'n' Chips EQ
EHX Russian Big Muff
Roland Cube 30
Jake will suffice.

Join the revolution, GG&A.
Quote by hellrazzer24
I'm in the same boat, but I'm not too fond of a the microcube. Can anyone suggest anything else. I don't mind buying 2nd hand either.

Sorry for threadjacking, but this thread describes my same problem. Main amp is in practice area. I have about $300 to spend on a practice amp, and I play mainly Rock and Metal.

Valvetronix. You can get a used AD50VT for under 300 if you look, and an AD30VT for 200.
Quote by imgooley
Valvetronix. You can get a used AD50VT for under 300 if you look, and an AD30VT for 200.

Really, though... it seems like a cube would be better for his genres. I know he says he's not a fan, but, if he doesn't like the cube's take on metal, I doubt that he'll be to keen on the valvetronix, which, as a previous owner, I would shirk from in a metal situation.
Member of the EHX Guild

Yamaha SG500B
Danelectro Fish 'n' Chips EQ
EHX Russian Big Muff
Roland Cube 30
Jake will suffice.

Join the revolution, GG&A.
Quote by carniferous
Really, though... it seems like a cube would be better for his genres. I know he says he's not a fan, but, if he doesn't like the cube's take on metal, I doubt that he'll be to keen on the valvetronix, which, as a previous owner, I would shirk from in a metal situation.

Well, I know it can do hard rock extremely well for the price, and it is overall a warmer sounding amp, even on the higher gain channels.

I'm not a super expert on what an exceptional amount of gain one needs for metal, but a Valvetronix can more than handle thrash, doom, classic, and sludge metal just fine. Put an OD in front of one of the gain channels and you have more than enough gain.