So I was messing around on my guitar trying to make a riff but not really thinking in the terms of any scale I was just making sure to throw in a lot of tritones and minor thirds to outling a diminished chord sound and I came up with something that sounds pretty good. The notes I used are G Ab Bb Cb(i couldn't think of a better way to name it) Db. now my questions is why does this not sound horrible I am using a major 3rd with a tritone I would imagine that it would clash but it doesn't can anyone explain this to me? The only answer I can think of is that maybe the major third is actually funtioning as a flatted 4th.
Quote by zac362
not many ppl have heard of the lochrian mode, mainly cos its only really usefull for mindless shredding
meh, its a half diminished chord right. sounds different but not too bad. if you think altered chords are cool, try minor maj7

EDIT: music does not revolve around theory, theory revolves around music
BE HAPPY

Quote by ajmasterjaydude
so this kid at my school microwaved brussel sprouts for lunch, and when he was about to eat them one of them exploded on his face and burned him. i like turtles

in a thread about malmsteen^
The only answer I can think of is that maybe the major third is actually funtioning as a flatted 4th.
Well you've written it as a diminished fourth. Lydian has a major third and an augmented fourth (emharmonic to a diminished fifth).
My name is Andy
Quote by MudMartin
Only looking at music as math and theory, is like only looking at the love of your life as flesh and bone.

Swinging to the rhythm of the New World Order,
Counting bodies like sheep to the rhythm of the war drums
Quote by SOAD_freak777
So I was messing around on my guitar trying to make a riff but not really thinking in the terms of any scale I was just making sure to throw in a lot of tritones and minor thirds to outling a diminished chord sound and I came up with something that sounds pretty good. The notes I used are G Ab Bb Cb(i couldn't think of a better way to name it) Db. now my questions is why does this not sound horrible I am using a major 3rd with a tritone I would imagine that it would clash but it doesn't can anyone explain this to me? The only answer I can think of is that maybe the major third is actually funtioning as a flatted 4th.
I think it's wisest to call it a major add#11th chord with the fifth omited.

Fifths are always omited, they're like the boring guy at the party that copies the popular guy hosting the party (the root). They sound very much like the root, most audiences wouldnt tell if the fifth was omited or not. So we just leave him out, as he doesnt do much for the mix.

Anyway, it's very common chord in jazz. The Lydian mode works great over it