Well i've been in the market for a valve amp for a LONG time now,
I now find myself stuck between 2, Engl screamer 50combo and a mesa f-50,
i play metal mostly, but also alot of 'shred' and blues.

Just wondering on what you guys think i should go for?

I was worried that there wouldn't be enough gain for my liking, how can i solve this problem? eg pedals, pickups

my budget is £85o in total, anything else i should be looking at?
The screamer is probably a better value as mesas are overpriced across the pond there. Other than that my f-30 can do metal on it's own, and only sounds better with an od.
I don't give a shit if you listen to me or not
I have a Screamer 50, I absolutely love it. I don't know a whole lot about the f-50 though.

I think the screamer will suit your styles perfectly. It has PLENTY of gain on tap in my opinion, but that all depends on what metal you play. I play a lot of 80s metal(iron maiden, early Metallica, UFO, Deep Purple, megadeath, ect ect ect) and shreddy stuff. If you need more gain you can always boost it with an overdrive or an all tube distortion pedal.
♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪
ok guys, well i'm going to try them both out on the weekend,
someone told me to try out the peavey 6505 combo, but im usure of the cleans,
how are they?
I've only fooled with one a bit and it doesn't even have a clean channel. You just have to drop the gain on the rhythm channel. In my short demo I was unimpressed, but you might like it.
I don't give a shit if you listen to me or not
Well, i dont play like exterem BroT00lzzz metal just say devildriver at most, but i want really crystal clear cleans, which is going to suit my needs best? should i go witha tubescreamer or something of the like, just to add a bit of warmth to the tone?

cheers again guys
the engl is probably better value considering you're in the UK; however since the f-series is discontinued, you might be able to get a deal on one. I'd say it's preference as to which you prefer, to be honest. both should have enough gain for metal, and both are pretty versatile.

might be worth looking into a laney tt combo too, and a marshall jvm combo, just to see how they compare.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
I think they can do metal equally as well as each other, so I'd base my decision on which tone you value more- your shred tone or your blues tone. The ENGL's a bit brighter, and would be better for shred IMO. The F-50's got a nicer blues tone and cleans if you ask me.
I've tried out the jvm series, i thought they were really versatile but no really the tone i was aiming for. Idealy i want like a tight bottom end but with kind of rage to it, i played a laney vc series before and thought it was reall really nice, just not packing enough in terms of gain for my liking. All i'm thinking now is that, i can get the Engl screammer50 for £700 including the z5 footswitch, but the mesa is going to be £820, is it really the worht the extra £120? i mean i could use that money to go towards pickups, or pedals.
Quote by rhys_jacksonrr3
I've tried out the jvm series, i thought they were really versatile but no really the tone i was aiming for. Idealy i want like a tight bottom end but with kind of rage to it, i played a laney vc series before and thought it was reall really nice, just not packing enough in terms of gain for my liking. All i'm thinking now is that, i can get the Engl screammer50 for £700 including the z5 footswitch, but the mesa is going to be £820, is it really the worht the extra £120? i mean i could use that money to go towards pickups, or pedals.

Considering that they are fairly equal amps but one costs more I would go with the ENGL and footswitch. Then I would add a really nice overdrive pedal to tighten up the sound a bit.

but like hrdcorelaxplaya said it all comes down to how much importance you put on a bit better blues tone.
♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪
^ agreed. though if you prefer the f-series, it probably is worth the extra. if you prefer the engl, the fact it's cheaper is the icing on the cake. i wouldn't solely base my decision on the money factor, unless you're already struggling to afford the engl.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?