Hello..

I currently have a Ashdown Fallen andgel 2x12 Combo amp. Its a pretty nice amp, but its not really the sound im looking for.

Im looking for a more modern tone, Think rise against, silverstein, taking back sunday, Greenday.. stuff along those lines. Kinda like a pop/punk/rock sound.

The Ashdown amp is too " dark " sounding for me. Im looking for a brighter tone.

I was wondering if the B-52 At-100 Half Stack Would Deliver the sound I'm looking for. Or if anyone has other suggestions that would be great,
I've heard the B-52 amps referred to as "the poor man's recifier" but how much that applies to all the different models I don't know, they definitely have a more modern tone than the Ashdown.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
b-52s still have rather dark tones. I'm gettin one cuz the cleans are fantastic and the distortion is like 10x better than my current rig which I will not speak of because it embarrasses me.
You can get fairly bright tones on a Fallen Angel if you EQ it right. Take out some of the bass, even at half way it still has more bass than most combos I've played.
Quote by treflip
You can get fairly bright tones on a Fallen Angel if you EQ it right. Take out some of the bass, even at half way it still has more bass than most combos I've played.

Even with the bass turned 'off' it still has more bass than my GH50L going through a bass cab; it has a stupid amount of bass.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
Quote by treflip

+1

Also, coincidentally, I was gigging with mine tonight and had it raised off the ground on a couple of chairs...it was much, much brighter. It might be worth experimenting to see if that adresses the problem. An amp stand or even a couple of beer crates would be a much cheaper investment if it solves the proble.

I didn't get a chance to soundcheck so I had to EQ it on the fly...normally I have the gain at (all o'clocks) 3, bass at 9, mid at 4.30 and treble at 4. I quickly knocked the bass up to around 11 and knocked the mids back to around 9 in an attempt to smooth out this new found brightness and it did a pretty decent attempt at a Mesa-ish tone, more compressed and less roary.

And master volume at about 9 o'clock...damn that thing is loud
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Last edited by steven seagull at Jun 11, 2008,
Quote by steven seagull
+1

Also, coincidentally, I was gigging with mine tonight and had it raised off the ground on a couple of chairs...it was much, much brighter. It might be worth experimenting to see if that adresses the problem. An amp stand or even a couple of beer crates would be a much cheaper investment if it solves the proble.

I didn't get a chance to soundcheck so I had to EQ it on the fly...normally I have the gain at (all o'clocks) 3, bass at 9, mid at 4.30 and treble at 4. I quickly knocked the bass up to around 11 and knocked the mids back to around 9 in an attempt to smooth out this new found brightness and it did a pretty decent attempt at a Mesa-ish tone, more compressed and less roary.

And master volume at about 9 o'clock...damn that thing is loud

Now that is interesting, did you have an extra effects in the signal chain? I might have to try putting on something tomorrow if it works as well as you say.

Quote by Master Foo

Album.
Legion.
+1 to raising the amp. I do that at rehearsals, and put the master volume up to half way, sounds beastly, and actually occasionally gets too bright. It takes some work, but so long as you EQ it right, the FA can get some decent tones. Nothing compared to high end heads of course, but for the price, you can't expect any better. Change out the speaker if you can't get a good EQ, I'm doing mine soon (as soon as I get an answer from people as to what speakers to put in it. Damm slow replies in the speaker thread ), I've heard others saying their FA cleared up alot after a speaker swap.
Quote by Zaphod_Beeblebr
Now that is interesting, did you have an extra effects in the signal chain? I might have to try putting on something tomorrow if it works as well as you say.

Nope, straight in - it was an Epi Les Paul with a Custom 5/PG set so they're fairly bright pickups anyway but I've gigged with them both before with the amp on the deck and having it raised up definitely made a difference.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc

Whoa Whoa Whoa. Hold Up Now. Why would rasing the amp off the ground make it brighter ? I have to try it now !

haha.

But seriously if someone could explain this to me I'd appreciate it.
Quote by erik961
Whoa Whoa Whoa. Hold Up Now. Why would rasing the amp off the ground make it brighter ? I have to try it now !

haha.

But seriously if someone could explain this to me I'd appreciate it.

Dunno, wasn't paying attention in that physics lesson...I'm guessing it involves stuff like direction of propagation of sound waves, the inverse square law and a lack of interference from sound waves reflecting off the floor, in various quantities
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc

yeah, on the floor the bass will reverberate across the floor and into the walls. get it off the floor and it will add more clarity having less sound absorption/reflection and vibration from the floor and walls. the floor is absorbing the highs and mids while the bass is reverberating across the floors and walls.

that's the principle as to why a speaker is "hung"in a amp or the cab in the first place, to reduce contact points that produce that unwanted reverberation /vibration. I would think it is a good idea to elevate any amp actually. (ask your neighbors downstairs, see what they think)

I am not a sound engineer or a physicist either but thats my take.

another thing is to keep the back of the amp from the wall 8-12 inches or so.
Last edited by bacchus39 at Jun 12, 2008,