I own a valveking and i would like an overdrive pedal for it to clean it up. What would the best pedal for under 100$. The dealers around my area don't have a lot of selection so maybe suggest 3 or so if possible.

Also would an EQ pedal be a better choice or should i get a overdrive first. Maybe suggest a couple EQ's if possible
I prefer the Bad Monkey like most Valveking owners...

If your playing nothing but metal i say go with the OD first.. If you doing everything else then get the EQ.. I would suggest a MXR108 its the best one out there at the moment..
Last edited by IbanezPsycho at Jun 11, 2008,
Boss bd-2, without a doubt. if i had to only have one overdrive, it'd be the BD-2.
Quote by Strato-Massacre
yeah you shouldnt have told the pit to rape your mom.

Quote by Kensai
It's not sexist, girls are just too stupid and weak to hold up doors and stuff for themselves.
I forget the name of it but there was a really cheap TS9 copy that you had to assemble yourself. Just some soldering from what I heard, easy stuff.
Quote by darkstar2466
Bigfoot.... The Abominable Snowman.... Chinese Democracy.... all stories, nothing more.

^BYOC overdrive. It's actually a TS808 (most consider this the best version) but it comes with all sorts of extras and you can easily make it a ts9 or add more gain or what have you.
I don't give a shit if you listen to me or not
mxr makes mxr, lol. I would say get the blues driver. Your valveking covers metal and alt. rock pretty well, and the blues driver can boost your leads, and be a great overdrive, esspecially if you get a Keeley modded one, but that's over 100.
Fender American Stratocaster
Gibson Les Paul Standard
79 Gibson Les Paul Custom
Suhr Pro Series S5
Ovation Custom Balladeer
Mesa Boogie Mark IV with 4x12 Recto Cab
Looking for Ibanez RGA model or Petrucci PM me for details
Quote by tomsy49
i would like an overdrive pedal for it to clean it up.
i posted the pear and all i got was a mod edit and an email

I'll give you the benefit of the doubt and assume you want an overdrive. You'll find a huge bias towards the Digitech Bad Monkey - and quite rightly so, as it's one hell of a pedal for $50. It's on a par with the Ibanez Reissues, and even A/B'd with a maxon the difference is surprisingly subtle. The Boss BD-2 isn't bad, it's voiced a little differently which some players like, and some hate. Try out both and see what you think.
I have tried and a/b'd the bad monkey with other overdrives through a marshall jvm. The bad monkey sounded incredibly sterile and digital. I cannot believe it gets so much praise here. For 40$, its still pricey. Id say go with the ts-9 or bd-2 over the bad monkey, cause to be honest, the bad monkey leaves much to be desired.
Traynor YCS-50>EHX SMM w/ Hazarai>EHX DMM>EHX Holy Grail>EHX Small Stone>EHX Big Muff PI (NY)>EHX Pulsar>Ibanez TS-9DX>Echo Park>Ibanez Vintage Tubeking>Fulltone OCD>Zvex Fuzz Factory> Roto-Machine>Fulltone Wah>MJM London Fuzz>Fender Strat
Dude, delete that pear before a mod sees. Anyways, I also like the Bad monkey.
Gibson SG Standard
Gibson Les Paul Traditional
Cort Explorer
Squire Standard Strat rebuilt with Fender USA parts
Squire Tele
Krank 1980
Orange Tiny Terror
Traynor YCV 50 Blue
Peavey Vypyr 75

Will fly for food. Call me Dylan
^Fail, neither of those are overdrives.
I don't give a shit if you listen to me or not
The bad monkey is an amazing deal for the 50 bucks it cost

Its a great TS clone and its super transparent
Quote by HeartInACage
I have tried and a/b'd the bad monkey with other overdrives through a marshall jvm. The bad monkey sounded incredibly sterile and digital. I cannot believe it gets so much praise here. For 40$, its still pricey. Id say go with the ts-9 or bd-2 over the bad monkey, cause to be honest, the bad monkey leaves much to be desired.

Strange, seeing as how it is all-analog (despite the fact that it's made by Digitech.

Anyway, I would recommend either getting a bad monkey, or maybe a BBE Green Screamer.
Strat / SH-201 -> DOD Mixer -> ZVex Mastotron -> Fulltone Clyde -> BYOC OD II -> Ibanez FLL -> VS Chorus -> DOD FX 96 -> Boss DD-6 -> MXR 10-Band EQ -> Boss RC-2 -> Stereo Mixer -> Alesis PicoVerb -> Peavey Delta Blues 210/Yamaha Fifty112
I bet if it didn't say digitech anywhere on the pedal it would get even more praise

When you open it up and exam the components.. you are definetly getting a steal for 50 bucks!
regardless of its analog circuitry, it still sounded sterile and digital, and in the realm of music, how it sounds is all that really matters.
Traynor YCS-50>EHX SMM w/ Hazarai>EHX DMM>EHX Holy Grail>EHX Small Stone>EHX Big Muff PI (NY)>EHX Pulsar>Ibanez TS-9DX>Echo Park>Ibanez Vintage Tubeking>Fulltone OCD>Zvex Fuzz Factory> Roto-Machine>Fulltone Wah>MJM London Fuzz>Fender Strat
well I don't know about the Bad Monkey but Digitech makes analog pedals too despite their name.

I've had mine exactly 30 hours and so far so good.

Use a GC coupon and it will cost you $43 bucks. Joke there. Not bad tho. Make sure you get the right power supply tho unless you are happy with batteries (which it comes with)

not arguing which is better as i hear the TubeScreamers are great
Get a Danelectro Fish n' Chips and a Bad monkey.

The Bad Monkey is surprisingly good for the price. Don't know about the Danelectro, but it's very cheap and has some great reviews
If you just want to clean it up a bit or get a little extra push i'd say an Electro Harmonix LPB-1. It's pretty much a clean boost that will clean up your sound and push your tubes a bit harder when you want it to. Otherwise as people have said the Digitech Bad Monkey is great or even a Marshall Jackhammer is quite nice at that price
MIA Fender Strat
Yamaha FG-450S
Crafter 12 string
Orange Rocker 30 combo
Vox AC30CC2
Epi Valve Junior
Fulltone Clyde
Danelectro Free Speech
T.C. Electronic Vintage Dual Distortion
Boss MIJ GE-7 (c1987)
Boss TU2
MXR Phase 90
Artec delay
under $100 i would definately say a Boss Super Overdrive. My main OD is a Tubescreamer but for the money the Boss is superb overdrive, fantastic for boosting an amp and good as a standalone overdrive pedal.
I almost forgot, if you shop around you may be able to get a Fulltone OCD for under 100.
Gibson SG Standard
Cort Explorer
Squire Tele
Krank 1980
Orange Tiny Terror
Traynor YCV 50 Blue
Peavey Vypyr 75

Will fly for food. Call me Dylan
Quote by In The Flesh
Get a Danelectro Fish n' Chips and a Bad monkey.

The Bad Monkey is surprisingly good for the price. Don't know about the Danelectro, but it's very cheap and has some great reviews

This one

and to the guy above me, if you find an OCD for under 100 bones, call me. I never see em under 150
╠═══════╬═══════╣

Tap Tempo Tap Dancer of τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ

╠═══════╬═══════╣

MINION of the"I drive a stick cause I'm better than you!!" Club

PM TehNez or IbanezPlayer27 to join.

EHX Users Guild. Bugera Users Militia
The MXR Lounge
^ I'm talking used, I've seen em on ebay for around 100
Gibson SG Standard
Cort Explorer