i get payed $500 on Friday,
and i think im either going to my local guitar shop or Guitar Center, and i was wondering if it'd be better to buy an acoustic-electric, or just an acoustic?

i mean could i just put a mic up to a regular acoustic and still sound good?

just a regular acoustic would be the better value for the same price because when you pay for an acoustic-electric you're paying for electronics and pickups right?
Quote by GiantRaven
You are not human.

I am totally serious.

Quote by tilinmyowngrave
I was inspired by someone saying they had Millionaire on their Ipod

he's talking about me!
that's correct, you can pick up a good-sounding yamaha for about 300 bucks but a cheap elctric-acoustic might run you into the 5 to 6 hundreds, the difference being that the tone and overall sound of the elec-acous will be cleaner and more distinct - better overall. if you got the regular acoustic with a mic hooked up, it wouldnt sound as good, and you'd have to be careful not to move too much while playing. my advice is if you're just looking for an acoustic to screw around on, sping for the acoustic, but if you're looking to play shows with it, save up for the electric.
I'm not here to inspire you. I'm here to make your own life seem slightly less sad by comparison.
Get an Ibanez Exotic wood acoustic electric. They are the best acoustics for under 500 bucks.
^ and especially not those exotic wood ones. They are ALL LAMINATE. You do not need to spend that kind of money on an all laminate guitar, unless you want to waste your money on a very pretty piece of junk.

veggiederek, you can get ALL SOLID wood for $500, Epiphone Masterbilts for example.
Quote by Bartleby
Get an Ibanez Exotic wood acoustic electric. They are the best acoustics for under 500 bucks.

Please tell me this is a joke.

Look at Epiphone Masterbilts, Seagulls, maybe some Blueridges, though those might be pushing your price range.
It's Only Rock and Roll, But I like It
Quote by Bartleby

the amplification on that guitar is not that good...
i would prefer one with a cutaway, but does that really matter, or is that just for high soloing things?
Quote by GiantRaven
You are not human.

I am totally serious.

Quote by tilinmyowngrave

he's talking about me!
yah i say the AJ-500M would be what your looking for for under 500 you can get the pickup later or mic it up but the Epi masterbilt AJ-500 is the best your ganna do. and dont worry man for 450 with that guitar IMO your actually doing bettor than guitars 2 or three bills higher than what it cost. heres a link

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Epiphone-Masterbilt-AJ500M-Advanced-Jumbo-Acoustic-Guitar?sku=519028

or this one is good to i prefer it to the AJ just because I think its got more tone overall and its worth an extra 50 bucks man trust me, its just 50 bucks and its a world of diffrence to me, i think its the rosewood who knows it just sounds sweet.
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Epiphone-Masterbilt-EF500R-Fingerstyle-Acoustic-Guitar?sku=519061
yeah, it's for soloing mostly. most notes after the twelfth fret sound like crap after the twelfth fret anyway on an acoustic.
I'm not here to inspire you. I'm here to make your own life seem slightly less sad by comparison.
the epiphones sure are pretty. (:

and the seagulls look good, but i dont like the headstocks.

and what about alvarez?
if the Epiphone EF-500R is better than a ~$500 alvarez, then i'll get the EF-500R.
or try it this weekend when i go to the city.
Quote by GiantRaven
You are not human.

I am totally serious.

Quote by tilinmyowngrave

he's talking about me!
Quote by veggiederek
i would prefer one with a cutaway, but does that really matter, or is that just for high soloing things?

well yah if your ganna be using those upper frets alot then yah, and i mean alot.
but if not you could do without it, some guy in another thread said that a cut away affects the bass response or something, i like em without the cutaway tough but if you could save up an extra 50 bucks the EF-500R "fingerstyle" is so worth it man.
It only says finger style because it has a wider nut, but it dosent bother me at all really.

I dont own it but everytime i go to GC i always play it for atleast 30 minutes, its become a favriote sometimes they sell em and they bring in another 2 weeks later altough there a little diffrent i still enjoy them and everytime i hit a chord im like wow, this thing is only 500 bucks and it play so awesome strumming or picking its a very balanced guitar.

Dosent favor lo or high much but it does a great job in both section of the guitar, a real steal for 500.
ok.

just by the way you guys are describing it i'll probably end up loving and buying this EF-500R.

(:
and i probably wouldnt even have tried it if not for all of you.
thanks

EDIT: is there any way i can buy one without that pickguard?
Quote by GiantRaven
You are not human.

I am totally serious.

Quote by tilinmyowngrave

he's talking about me!
Quote by veggiederek
the epiphones sure are pretty. (:

and the seagulls look good, but i dont like the headstocks.

and what about alvarez?
if the Epiphone EF-500R is better than a ~$500 alvarez, then i'll get the EF-500R.
or try it this weekend when i go to the city.

well ive never played an alvarez but i hear good things about them, im pretty sure they make some solids around 500
for me the sound is first, secondary is the visual but it also plays an important part, not so much or else id own a Ibanez Artwood or whatever the hell there called

Keep an open mind tough if you see an acoustic in the same range that is a solid then go for it to dont be set on buying a guitar you havent played yet, the EF-500 is really really good IMO for the the money.

But who knows something that i might like you might not like, everyone is diffrent and everyone has diffrent taste. you might go into the store and play and think its a crap guitar , or you might be like me and think its pretty damn good. IN the end its all down to you.
Last edited by the-kid44P at Jun 12, 2008,
Quote by veggiederek

EDIT: is there any way i can buy one without that pickguard?

i dont think so i think its standard on all of them but you could always change the pick guard at any time after you buy it with any guitar.
Pick guards are just cosmetics you could change them whenever.