im thinking of building a guitar and would it be ok to take it to a car shop to get it painted?

what im trying to do is built a fender mustang out of parts from ebay and other websites (if u have any good ones please share)

Guitar : Fender CIJ Mustang and a Telecaster
Amp : 76 fender champ
Pedals : BBE green screamer, Big muff, Ibanez LU20 Pedal Tuner, boss loop pedal
Last edited by Nagashiro at Jun 11, 2008,
Yes, fine and dandy. If I were you though, I'd sand it, fill the grain, then prime it first. Do all of the prep yourself, then just get them to give it a few nitro colour and clear coats.
Quote by -MintSauce-
If I were you though, I'd sand it, fill the grain, then prime it first. Do all of the prep yoursel

i live in a apartment building if i could i would paint it my self but no cant do at least the prime part i will sand it

Yes but it might cost you a fair bit as it will be a custom job their not use to.

Quote by dogismycopilot
Absent Mind, words cant express how much i love you. Id bone you, oh yea.

Quote by lumberjack
Absent Mind is, as usual, completely correct.

Quote by littlemurph7976
Id like to make my love for Neil public knowledge as he is a beautiful man
Quote by -MintSauce-
Yes, fine and dandy. If I were you though, I'd sand it, fill the grain, then prime it first. Do all of the prep yourself, then just get them to give it a few nitro colour and clear coats.

Automotive paint isn't "nitro." Most automotive paints are some form of urethane and other plastics.
Epiphone Les Paul Standard
-SD "Pearly Gates" bridge pickup
-50's style wiring
Digitech RP150
Boss DS-1 Distortion
Electro-Harmonix LPB-1 Linear Power Booster
Peavey Windsor Studio

= My amp on crack
Quote by Nagashiro
i live in a apartment building if i could i would paint it my self but no cant do at least the prime part i will sand it

Most Acrylic Lacquer in spraycans are so forgiving it's difficult to make a mess of it. The 2 requirements are patience and opposable thumbs.

Wouldn't the apartment parking area be OK to do this yourself?

Quote by Ippon

Wouldn't the apartment parking area be OK to do this yourself?

not with the chicago wind trowing dust at it :S

Have you thought about improvising a sort of tent? I've done some spraying in an apartment on an outdoor 'patio' (about 6x6 feet) - I had trouble with wind so I had a makeshift tent made with plastic dropcloths and masking tape. Sure it was quick and dirty - but it got the job done.
i could try on the basement like 1 or 2 am haha but what primer would be good for painting wood also good paint incase i feel like trying it?

your gonna need to use a sanding sealer on the wood first, then you can get duplicolor rattle can paints from any advance auto parts. duplicolor makes good paints for guitars.
Most body shops wont mess with a single guitar. Isnt worth the clean up etc. And almost none use nitro. Maybe talk to one of the paint guys and have him do it on the side. I built a small paint booth in a unused bedroom that worked pretty well.
kilz primer is what reranch told me to use and it looks good
Fender American Standard Telecaster
Martin DC-16RE Premium

Fender Snakeskin Champ 12