Page 1 of 2
I'm trying to get a 4.0 this semester b/c if I do my parents pay for my vacation this summer...otherwise I get to pay for it.
I'm in the clear for all my other classes but in chemistry I just got an 85% on the final, bringing my overall grade to an 85 as well. This teacher is kind of weird and brings students up a letter grade if they do well on the final, even if it wouldn't normally bring us up (if you have an 83 for example and get a 90, you would have an A), but I think my case would be kind of a long shot seeing as how I'm 5% away from a 90 in both cases.

Now, what would be the best way to go about reasoning with him to get a good grade? I kind of sucked up in his class a lot for this specific reason, asking questions and answering them and everything, but I still need a strategy for talking him into giving me a good grade.

What would you recommend?

tldr:
I need to talk my chem teacher into giving me an A for the semester. how?
If you think things can't get worse it's probably only because you lack sufficient imagination.
**** you... an A where i live is a 94% or above... ****ing fairfax county... anyway, on topic. explain to him your situation. he might just understand if he's as cool a teacher as you say he is.
Call me Jack.
All that you love...
...you must love now.
My Gear:
PRS Custom 24
Standard MIM Tele
Larrivée LV-09E
Rivera Clubster 45 112 Combo Tube
Boss ME-20 Multi-effects pedal
Boss OC-3 Super octave pedal
My own home-made octave-up pedal
The best way in my experience is to ask if there's a project or something you can do to bump up your grade.
Ha, here it's 93% or higher not 94%. But, yeah just go talk to him and see what happens, if that doesn't work then come back here and make a plan.
Quote by bizkitday4eva
You know suicide is just as bad as killing yourself

Taco Man of the Jhonen Vasquez/Invader Zim Club. PM HolyWars90 to join
You guys actually have letter grades? I haven't gotten any since elementary school, what's the point of having both?
founding member of the Bill Bailey fan club (assuming there isn't already one)

proudly not an overly proud vegetarian
Quote by Guit4rG0d
use your knees, and pop rocks

Best video ever.
Telecaster - SG - Jaguar
Princeton Reverb, Extra Reverb
P-Bass - Mustang Bass
Apogee Duet 2 - Ableton Suite
Maybe it'd be easier to work something out with your parents, since you came so close...
“A man is a success if he gets up in the morning and gets to bed at night, and in between he does what he wants to do.”
-Bob Dylan

Quote by Freezer Burn

Congratz on the having the longest wall of text ever!

Quote by sargasm
The best way in my experience is to ask if there's a project or something you can do to bump up your grade.

Eh, I've tried that before and he's said no so far. but I'll give it a shot.
And I'd rather not involve my parents unless its necessary, they would kinda flip out if they knew I had a B (the horror...)

Any other suggestions? Specifically what to say when I talk to him.
If you think things can't get worse it's probably only because you lack sufficient imagination.
Quote by drunkinkoala
Here an A is 86 and up.

wtf where do you live??

also, blow him.

Yeah. The rumors are true. I'm a twat.
Here, you get a first for anything over 70%!!11
██████████████████████
██████████████████████
██████████████████████
██████████████████████
██████████████████████
██
████████████████████
██
████████████████████
██████████████████████
Quote by lucky69

also, blow him.

srsly nao.
Well give Extra credit a shot. If you do really well on the extra credit it will definately raise your grade. If not, just talk to the guy. He will probably understand and take pity on you.
Quote by Arrived+Dparted
**** you... an A where i live is a 94% or above... ****ing fairfax county... anyway, on topic. explain to him your situation. he might just understand if he's as cool a teacher as you say he is.

I know man, here in loudoun it's a 93% and higher for an A
90% FTW!

ask for an extra credit assignment, if you can retake any tests, and if you can make up any assignments you "lost"
Quote by FatalGear41
I wouldn't call what we have here on the Bass Forum a mentality. It's more like the sharing part of an AA meeting.

Quote by Jason Jillard
HUMANITY WHATS WRONG WITH YOU.

Warwick Fortress>>Acoustic AB50

http://www.myspace.com/rustingbloom
In BC a high school A is anything above 86%.

I never realised that other places would be so difficult...
How about in stead of wasting time on UG trying to find a way to sweet talk your teacher you try studying so you can actually get a good grade and then your teacher will bump it up like you said.
Quote by dark&broken
How about in stead of wasting time on UG trying to find a way to sweet talk your teacher you try studying so you can actually get a good grade and then your teacher will bump it up like you said.

dude...f*** you. I have A's in all my other classes, which are all advanced. Advanced, math, spanish, english, java, etc. Oh, and advanced chemistry.
Quote by mrbagrat
dude...f*** you. I have A's in all my other classes, which are all advanced. Advanced, math, spanish, english, java, etc. Oh, and advanced chemistry.

Java?
On topic, I'd talk to him about getting some extra work to boost your grade up. If you really sound sincere and show the teacher that you're making an attempt, he'll want to give you an A. Don't go up to him and tell him that you need an A to pay for your vacation.
Peace.
Quote by Arrived+Dparted

Oh my god... an A here is 80% it's pathetic.
In B.C. it was 86% that was a bit harder. I had straight A's last semester
Quote by 20cdndollars
You are god, floppypick

Floppydick

If that's how you read my name, leave a message saying so on my profile
Quote by mrbagrat

You're a freshmen aren't you
Or maybe just change the grade on your results? If you can get 85% in chemistry you should be able to make up some phony results papers
If your parents never had children, chances are, you wont either.

Member #2 of Kerry/Edwards fanclub
what is all this about A's being in the 80's in my school we don't A's unless we get 90% or higher. F = fail D = Below average C = average B = above average A = Excellent

well out of 10 questions the average person, statisticly speaking, will answer 7 out of ten right. So what an 80% is 8 right one more than the average. I don't find that excellent. I had to work hard for my 4.0.

About your teacher, just em that you really want to get a 4.0 and if there is anything you can do to raise your grade you'll do it.
grok it.

SKREAM!

Listen to jazz, it's good for you...
Quote by dingmydong
You guys actually have letter grades? I haven't gotten any since elementary school, what's the point of having both?

In the U.S., we use them to calculate our GPA
so if you live in the U.S.A., you're full of ****
Quote by tjhome28
It annoys me when kids sit there playing the sweet child o mine or smoke on the water intro riff repeatedly
and badly
and so loud the whole shop can't hear themselves think
and with the worst amp settings possible

[/rant]

+1
Quote by bright-eyes

If you are and you're taking advanced Chem.....
I salute you

Edit: ****e, double posted....my bad lol
Quote by tjhome28
It annoys me when kids sit there playing the sweet child o mine or smoke on the water intro riff repeatedly
and badly
and so loud the whole shop can't hear themselves think
and with the worst amp settings possible

[/rant]

+1
Trade him your holograph Charizard!

EDIT: However, I would probably suggest doing an additional assignment.
EDIT: Had to take metaldud's place until he discovered this thread.
Last edited by st.stephen at Jun 11, 2008,
Quote by lucky69
wtf where do you live??

also, blow him.

+1

It's the only way.
Quote by SlinkyBlue
I remember when I was really young, I had a wet dream in which i was being dragged along an urban countryside by a pickup truck.

Don't ask me I have no idea how the hell it happened.

To Me:

Quote by Son.Of.TheViper

I love you
Quote by Xaveir
In the U.S., we use them to calculate our GPA
so if you live in the U.S.A., you're full of ****

I think the large all capitalized MONTREAL in his location is an indication he clearly does not live in the U.S
GREAT ODIN'S RAVEN
You don't get weighted grades for being in advanced classes?
Take some honors classes next time and do well in them so you don't have to worry about a B not getting you a 4.0 because you could be getting any number higher than a 4.0 on a weighted grade scale.
12 fret fury
the percentage of your final grade doesn't really mean anything here, it's really all about the letter grade. a 70% is the same as a 79.4%. An A is a 90%, i think it's crazy that it would be anything else...

i'm in a similar situation, just 5 points out of about two thousand away from the higher grade. i'm too proud to do anything about it

My mind is going. I can feel it.
Quote by Arrived+Dparted

Fairfax Country Represent
Quote by charvel_man

I am buying you an e-beer HomerHitter *Buys*
Quote by bright-eyes

no...sophomore.
well, whatever you want to call it since school is out. soph-junior. something.

Quote by crazygluedmybut
Java?
On topic, I'd talk to him about getting some extra work to boost your grade up. If you really sound sincere and show the teacher that you're making an attempt, he'll want to give you an A. Don't go up to him and tell him that you need an A to pay for your vacation.

Yeah man. Gotta fulfill those career voc-ed requirements to graduate.
Thats probably what I'll end up doing. Thanks.

Quote by devin_g94
90% is an A- where i am. and why are you still in school?

Same. Because school is cool!

Quote by Punk Poser
You don't get weighted grades for being in advanced classes?
Take some honors classes next time and do well in them so you don't have to worry about a B not getting you a 4.0 because you could be getting any number higher than a 4.0 on a weighted grade scale.

Unfortunately no...they do something good for college though, maybe more credits. I'm not sure though.

Quote by Xaveir
If you are and you're taking advanced Chem.....
I salute you

Edit: ****e, double posted....my bad lol

Hah thanks. And I thought I was in for an easy ride...
right.
Page 1 of 2