Looking for a cab to go with my dual rectifier but dont want to break the bank with a mesa, looking to spend no more than £350, and its hard to come by used on ebay.

V30s have been suggested but in nearly all the youtube and other clips I think they sound awful compared to other speakers, they seem to sound a bit shrill or harsh; the youtube demo from acsteve sound perfect with blackbacks (but i cant find any info about them not even on the celestion site). Are there any other speakers i should be looking at? what aobut the Marshall 1960 or 1936 cabs? others?

I dont mind mixing and matching cabs with the head, such as other brands. There are two I have seen with vintage 30s - a warwick dragon 412 and a matamp 412 both around £300, but I want to make sure that I'm gonna like the vintage 30s first.

Thanks
reasons? I was thinking maybe doing the 1936 instead? pretty much same just 2x12 rather than 4x12, I've only got one gig lined up this summer that should need high vol. and 2x12 would manage that wouldn't it?

I dunno I'm stuck whether to go 2x12 or 4x12
1. Ignore youtube. I wouldn't trust the sound quality of those gear demos, even before they get uploaded and thus compressed beyond recognition.

2. V30s are a popular, highly regarded speaker but that doesn't mean they work for everyone. I suggest going down to a decent guitar store that has a recto in stock and ask to try it through a few of their cabs. Give them the impression you're serious about a purchase and I'm sure you'll have no problems. Concentrate on getting the highest quality cabinet you can so you can upgrade the speakers when funds permit.

EDIT: Compare 2x12 and 4x12 cabs to see which sound you prefer. Remeber the size of the cab makes no difference to the volume of the amp, it's purely a tonal preference. You might be able to get a Mesa 1x12 widebody cab at a decent price if you look around.

With cabs there's no reason whatsoever to buy new, so I suggest you spend a lot of time on eBay and the classified ads.
Last edited by kyle62 at Jun 11, 2008,
thanks for the advice on youtube, i watch the vids and i KNOW that they're crap examples but your opinion is still affected for some reason, I have a few really good guitar shops round me but none of them have any dual recs in stock and havn't for a while, cant go in with my own since i havn't picked it up yet, bought on eBay but not collected yet.

- Can someone also answer this question - whats the difference between an angled and straight cab, any difference to sound, size of cab, wiring???
To some there's a difference in sound, others there isn't. But the truth is, the sound is angled more towards your head, so you're gonna hear a little bit more tone, some describe it as less bass response.

But honestly, there's no big difference in it, nothing a crowd would notice. There's no difference in size or wiring as far as I know.
Get an Avatar if I were you. You can try out all the cabs you want, then go to Avatar and get a 4x12 put in with what ever speakers you want. It's a great deal. Also, the 4x12 has a lot better bass response, and more presence. Hope this helped.
Fender American Stratocaster
Gibson Les Paul Standard
79 Gibson Les Paul Custom
Suhr Pro Series S5
Ovation Custom Balladeer
Mesa Boogie Mark IV with 4x12 Recto Cab
Looking for Ibanez RGA model or Petrucci PM me for details
A Marshall 1960b (or a) would sound great with a Dual Rectifier.

If you can find one cheap enough, look for an Orange 2x12.
Member of UG Gain whores.
PM Gpderek09 to join!
If you do go on youtube to listen to it, make sure it's a high quality video, the sound quality is a lot better. That's a last resort though.

Also if there's no high quality option on the video add &fmt=18 to the end of the url and it make's it play in high quality
Quote by Untitled001
If you do go on youtube to listen to it, make sure it's a high quality video, the sound quality is a lot better. That's a last resort though.

Also if there's no high quality option on the video add &fmt=18 to the end of the url and it make's it play in high quality

Woah, that's a neat trick!
Member of UG Gain whores.
PM Gpderek09 to join!