will any old speakers work as amps if you put a 1/8 to 1/4 converter jack on it
and pluged it in to your guitar
(\__/)
(='.'=) This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your
(")_(") signature to help him gain world domination
Like computer speakers? Only active speakers, with a power cord that goes to the wall (or USB I guess, I dunno if they make those) will work. It won't sound good, but it will work.
Telecaster - SG - Jaguar
Princeton Reverb, Extra Reverb
P-Bass - Mustang Bass
Apogee Duet 2 - Ableton Suite
maybe? itll sound ****ty tho, if it does work
Quote by LesPaulHer0
"in the grand scheme of things, nobody cares"

Gear:
Dean 10K Commemorative Razorback
Ibanez RG 3EX1
BC Rich Mockingbird Evil Edge
Fender Acoustic
Marshall MG250DFX
Ibanez Weeping Demon Wah
Electro Harmonix Small Clone Full Chorus
my computer speaker have a plug in the wall
(\__/)
and i was just wonder if it could possibly work, i never said it had to sound good
(\__/)
guitar>amp>speaker.

You need an amp to amplify the signal to the speaker or it'll be really really quiet if you can hear it at all.
Jeez, how can someone play the guitar and not know what an amplifier does?
I'm a communist. Really.
i would think so becouse an amp just gets a sound and makes it louder and so does a speaker. if you had expensive speakers it might sound better tho

edit:
btw nearly all pc speakers sold now have built in amps, mine even have bass and treble control. if it has a power plug its amped.
✠ ☠ ✠
RIP Ronnie James Dio

Fendi Shoes is actually extremely advantageous.
Last edited by sirrjj at Jun 11, 2008,
yeah you need an amp buddy

you probably use a speaker for a replacement in an amp, but not guitar straight into speaker
I think the signal from the guitar is very weak, and the amplifier amplifies the sound so it is at an audible level... Am I correct?
ಠ_ಠ ಠ_ಠ ಠ_ಠ ಠ_ಠ ಠ_ಠ ಠ_ಠ ಠ_ಠ

Quote by Xp3ns1v3
I thought it was illegal for women to use the internet.
Quote by AthenasGhost
I think the signal from the guitar is very weak, and the amplifier amplifies the sound so it is at an audible level... Am I correct?

yes
✠ ☠ ✠
RIP Ronnie James Dio

i know what amp is Raziel2p thank you very much. i just thought it could be entertaining to see what the pit had to say about useing computer speakers as an amp.
(\__/)
Quote by bandet232
my computer speaker have a plug in the wall

Then they will work. Everyone else is just confused and they think you mean just a plain old speaker sitting around. You mean a set of powered computer speakers, which will amplify your guitar's signal. There's your answer, again.
Telecaster - SG - Jaguar
Princeton Reverb, Extra Reverb
P-Bass - Mustang Bass
Apogee Duet 2 - Ableton Suite
and i have an amp for anyone that was wondering.
you know who you are.
(\__/)
Quote by bandet232
i know what amp is Raziel2p thank you very much. i just thought it could be entertaining to see what the pit had to say about useing computer speakers as an amp.

high end speakers would be able to handle a guitar easily and sound good there both basicly the same thing, sound goes in sound gets amped sound goes out, just an amp has more fetures and is usually more powerfull (usually)
✠ ☠ ✠
RIP Ronnie James Dio

thank you to all those who answered me. maybe one of you who has a 1/8 to 1/4
coverter plug and powered computer speaker could try it and settle all the confusion
(\__/)
did you have speakers that pluged in
(\__/)
ive done it with powered speakers. sounds pretty bad.
ive tried it with unpowered speakers, doesnt work
yes they were self powered computer speakers. Trust me on this, you can give it a try, it wont hurt the speakers. Computer speakers have a very low impedence input whereas guitar amps have a very high impedence input. You really need a pre-amp suited to a guitar to play a guitar.
how about speakers with batterys. since they are still active they should still work right.
i know some of you say it wont work period. but some say it will so i don't know
(\__/)
some one put an mp3 on there profile of them using speakers. then we will all know
(\__/)
Quote by bandet232
thank you to all those who answered me. maybe one of you who has a 1/8 to 1/4
coverter plug and powered computer speaker could try it and settle all the confusion

i have them now oh look they work what a suprise.

edit:
he never mentiend the power of the speaker
✠ ☠ ✠
RIP Ronnie James Dio

ok i tried it and it worked. all of you who said it wouldn't are wrong. it didnt amplify it very loud but still proof of concept.
(\__/)
It's stereo amp, and I don't think it's tube. However, for a stereo amp, it is very good. Don't plug guitar into it; just use it as hi-fi if it works.
GG&A forum, and no it would not, thus the name "amplifier," which amplifies the signal, as compared to "speaker," which doesn't make sense but it just releases the sound. So no, because the guitar electric signal is not powerful enough. Plus you need a pre-amp to convert the signal.

EDIT: Well, reading your latest posts, it can conceivably work, but it probably sounds like ****, correct me if I'm wrong.
Last edited by st.stephen at Jun 11, 2008,
Quote by bandet232
ok i tried it and it worked. all of you who said it wouldn't are wrong. it didnt amplify it very loud but still proof of concept.

the confusion with the people who know more about electronics is that you just said (i believe the phrasing was) "any old speakers." if you just say speakers it doesn't include an amplifier, which is required to get an audible sound from your guitar. otherwise, why couldn't you just plug headphones directly into your guitar?

so even when you say your "computer speakers," if they have any sort of power in them (battery or wall) they also include an amplifier.