I recently ordered a duncan distortion pup for my hss strat, and it got here the other day, but im stuck in a dilemna, which i probably should have thought about before ordering. First, I feel like im almost runing the "stratness" of the guitar, and its a fairly rare strat as well. Second, I almost regret not buying the JB. What are your guys opinions? Will it "ruin" the integrity of my guitar, and should i go for the JB instead?

Sorry for the stupid questions, but its bugging me!
Gibson Les Paul Custom
Fender American Tele

F/S:
Orange Rockerverb 50
Orange PPC412
hmm put the Pick up in and take a **** than play it
Quote by TTH
hmm put the Pick up in and take a **** than play it

real mature.
Gibson Les Paul Custom
Fender American Tele

F/S:
Orange Rockerverb 50
Orange PPC412
Define 'rare' please?

Unless we're talking 60s/70s here, do whatever the hell makes you happy. If it's a modern limited edition, Squier JV or whatever else, as long as your wiring is tidy and you keep hold of the original pickup it's no problem at all.
is this a cheap duncan performer detonation p'up or is it is it a real seymour duncan. cause im having a similar problem myself
I think the JB is kinda bright sounding.

I would keep the single coil in the strat just for versatility. and just place the Distortion in that Gibson you are going to get.
yeah - i got a JB at first and then regretted it. As many of you know I went with the Custom Custom SH-11 and am extremely happy. I would call it a mid-gain pup and has the right amount of distortion without being overly gainy.

JB - too bright for a Strat prolly

And TS i seriously doubt it will degrade the value too much as you can always put things back the way they are now if you want to sell it and think someone will care.

on the used market my guess is that there will be some that will think whatever you do is perfect for them and love it and snatch it up just like there will be the die-hard Strat fans who only want the original gear.

also if in doubt - call Duncan cust. serv.

you know they have a 30 day exchange too, assuming it is a real Duncan

also i think you know that you need to get the Trembucker version for a Strat guitar

good luck
Quote by jake911
I think the JB is kinda bright sounding.

I would keep the single coil in the strat just for versatility. and just place the Distortion in that Gibson you are going to get.

It is in a HSS strat..and I was planning on doing that anyways.

Also to the guy way up there who said how rare..it's not like old or anything its a 2000, but no shop no matter if its guitar center or the most knowledgeable guitar shops know what exactly it is. Bascially its an american deluxe HSS strat, but with this special floating locking trem, and locking tuners, roller nut, etc. I posted a thread a while back about finding out what it was, and nobody has any awnsers. Also I havent seen a strat with its color/pickguard combo deal.

So im not saying its some super rare strat, but its for sure not a common one.
Gibson Les Paul Custom
Fender American Tele

F/S:
Orange Rockerverb 50
Orange PPC412
Quote by F8iscruel
is this a cheap duncan performer detonation p'up or is it is it a real seymour duncan. cause im having a similar problem myself

No its the real deal. Seymour Duncan Duncan Distortion.
Gibson Les Paul Custom
Fender American Tele

F/S:
Orange Rockerverb 50
Orange PPC412
Quote by dcdossett65
No its the real deal. Seymour Duncan Duncan Distortion.

nice i dont have the money to get one. im trying to figure out if i should save up and just get a full blown new guitar then throw in 2 emg81 split shafts to get the true metal god to come out of me... mwahahahaha. and does the guitar have a brand on it anywhere. because if it doesnt then its probally just a really well made strat copy. because (dont quote on this) i think fender doenst make guitrs with floyd roses as a manufactured mass but ithink they can be speical ordered.
Quote by dcdossett65
It is in a HSS strat..and I was planning on doing that anyways.

Also to the guy way up there who said how rare..it's not like old or anything its a 2000, but no shop no matter if its guitar center or the most knowledgeable guitar shops know what exactly it is. Bascially its an american deluxe HSS strat, but with this special floating locking trem, and locking tuners, roller nut, etc. I posted a thread a while back about finding out what it was, and nobody has any awnsers. Also I havent seen a strat with its color/pickguard combo deal.

So im not saying its some super rare strat, but its for sure not a common one.

No worries then. If you're after a slightly warmer, Gibson-y sound the '59 may have been a safer bet though the guitar itself makes a huge difference in the tone. Incidentally, I think the JB sounds fine in fenders - particularly alder/rosewood ones. Leave the tone control on 7 or 8 if it's too bright for you.

If you want a crunchy rock sound out of a Strat, P90s are great. If you prefer heavy tones, something like the Custom Custom or Dimarzio Breed will work well. Don't go overboard with high-gain pickups - if you've got a decent amp there's no reason to sacrifice tone and headroom just for a few extra k of inductance....
Quote by F8iscruel
nice i dont have the money to get one. im trying to figure out if i should save up and just get a full blown new guitar then throw in 2 emg81 split shafts to get the true metal god to come out of me... mwahahahaha. and does the guitar have a brand on it anywhere. because if it doesnt then its probally just a really well made strat copy. because (dont quote on this) i think fender doenst make guitrs with floyd roses as a manufactured mass but ithink they can be speical ordered.

It is not a floyd. Its a fender made locking tremelo..and for all you wikipedia snoopers, its not what they describe as the locking tremelo strat in the article. I am sure its a fender, I have checked the serial number and everything.
Gibson Les Paul Custom
Fender American Tele

F/S:
Orange Rockerverb 50
Orange PPC412
No offense, but in getting an HSS strat I think you've already ruined it's stratiness.
I don't give a shit if you listen to me or not
Quote by Kevin Saale
No offense, but in getting an HSS strat I think you've already ruined it's stratiness.

i kinda disagree Kevin...i mean i hear what you are saying

you can always do a split coil on an HB if you REALLY like the sound of a single coil in the Bridge.

Strats are versatile as it is, but with the HB there as an option for playing makes it that much more versatile. I know for me, i play in the HB position a hella lot more than i used to with stock HB now that i have upgraded to Duncan.

and ...dcdosset65....i remember you know...

you should post your pic again of Bridge - i swear that must have been a custom job but it looked like you found a good source web site so maybe post that too...see ya
Last edited by 311ZOSOVHJH at Jun 13, 2008,
here ya go
Gibson Les Paul Custom
Fender American Tele

F/S:
Orange Rockerverb 50
Orange PPC412
That bridge has been modified - those look like GraphTech graphite saddles.
Ibanez RGA121 | ESP LTD H-1000
Axe-FX Standard
Which link?
Gibson Les Paul Custom
Fender American Tele

F/S:
Orange Rockerverb 50
Orange PPC412
Quote by DrNick
That bridge has been modified - those look like GraphTech graphite saddles.

They aren't. I looked up the graph techs, they arnt the same.
Gibson Les Paul Custom
Fender American Tele

F/S:
Orange Rockerverb 50
Orange PPC412
Quote by dcdossett65
Which link?

the one you (at least i thought it was you) posted of the Bridge options that at one point in time that Leo had created (one off?)

was that not you dude? don't you have a 'one off' bridge?

i remember it being a somewhat confusing thread so maybe i'm jacked up
Im pretty sure that wasnt me hah. Oh well..the bridge is awesome, you can dive it to hell and back and it wont go out of tune.
Gibson Les Paul Custom
Fender American Tele

F/S:
Orange Rockerverb 50
Orange PPC412