Hey guys,
total n00b question but how to I tune to Drop D and other Tunings. Also would I do this by ear or W/ a tuner?
Thanks,
Mattrod
you could do both for drop D. all you do is tune the thickest string (e) down to the tone of a D. So pluck the E and 3rd thickest (D) at the same time, while tuning the E down, until they sound the same.
Quote by bucktheduck

Call me troll, call me psychopath. In the end, I shall stand above you all as you drown in a pool of sex and filth. It will explode your corrupted bodies, and I will walk above the wreckage as a pure man.

Quote by DieGarbageMan

Haggard13 i are impressed
just a shot in the dark but i woud say use the tuning pegs, along with a guitar, a guitar cable, and a tuner.
Quote by MakinLattes
dwelling on past mishaps is for the weak. you must stride into the future, unabashed and prepared to fuck up yet again.
Quote by Haggard13
you could do both for drop D. all you do is tune the thickest string (e) down to the tone of a D. So pluck the E and 3rd thickest (D) at the same time, while tuning the E down, until they sound the same.

Thanks a bunch!
I tune it down till the two bottom strings sound like a powerchord, I don't do the octave thing.
what you do is hold the 12th fret on E and pluck the d string and tune down E untill they sound exactly alike
*cough* Guitar and Bass basics *cough* *cough* only tuning thread *cough*

Do a search first.
My Gear:
Custom Fender 62' Reissue Strat
Carvin Custom Shop DC400T
Jackson SL3 Soloist
Fender Super-Sonic 112
Boss GT-10

Quote by XianXiuHong
000-000-000-000-000
PM------------------------

You can now play every Slayer song.
Harmonic tuning, motherfuckers. Tune so your low E (D in this case) string's 7th fret harmonic equals the A string's 12th fret harmonic.
Oh Shit!
Quote by catchy phrase
Harmonic tuning, motherfuckers. Tune so your low E (D in this case) string's 7th fret harmonic equals the A string's 12th fret harmonic.

Or just do the 7th on both strings until the vibration stops. I find this much easier.
tune down your low E in octave with the third string from the low E

it's just a step down
Mesa Single Rectifier
Marshall 1960A vintage
Rg3exfm1 w/ EMG 85/81
Big Baby Taylor Acoustic
Ibanez TS808
Quote by catchy phrase

Alright, elitist cockfag, how about you just train your ear to recognize a perfect 5th and play the 6th and 5th strings together until their a perfect 5th apart.
This should be reported because he didnt read the stickies but w.e
2/17/08 Kosova's independence!!!
zbest... do we really have to report him? can't you be a nice guy? I really don't get why people have to be so strict in the pit...
Mesa Single Rectifier
Marshall 1960A vintage
Rg3exfm1 w/ EMG 85/81
Big Baby Taylor Acoustic
Ibanez TS808
loosen your E string until it sounds dirty and bad

thats the point of drop D right ?
---
i got tired of my signature and i no longer has one

---
hes fairly new...let this be a warning
Quote by bucktheduck

Call me troll, call me psychopath. In the end, I shall stand above you all as you drown in a pool of sex and filth. It will explode your corrupted bodies, and I will walk above the wreckage as a pure man.

Quote by DieGarbageMan

Haggard13 i are impressed
I just tune it to the open D string, a lot easier than tunning it to a fretted A string.
make Industrial and/or experimental electronic music? Join my group!

Last.fm
I bet the TS tunes his E "UP" to a D rather then down.. and makes it match the sound of the 3rd string
Quote by JakdOnCrack
Alright, elitist cockfag, how about you just train your ear to recognize a perfect 5th and play the 6th and 5th strings together until their a perfect 5th apart.

It's not like either of these methods are hard to do. A perfect 5th is quite easy to tune.
Oh Shit!