Page 1 of 2
I probably have bitched about this before, but today was especially bad. I know a lot of guys who are musicians, but only me and one other one play metal. He is retarded too, but my other friends are unbelievable. Today alone, I had 3 people tell me the following things, and they were not not joking about any of them.

Friend 1: (bassist who loves jazz and bluegrass, and hates metal)
(1) Jazz is the ultimate form of music, and all other genres are inferior,(2) If a band's drummer has a double bass drum/double bass pedal, then they suck automatically,(3) If they use any tunings other than E or Eb standard, or an open tuning (meaning D standard, drop D, uses a 7 string, etc) then they also automatically suck,(4) That distortion should never be used, and that if something that was played with distortion does not sound as good with a clean tone, then it sucks (he didn't mean distortion covered up mistakes, he meant, that Master of Puppets sounds cool with distortion, but clean it doesn't sound as good, so it sucks), and (5) that using the harmonic minor scale means you suck.

Friend 2: (metal head, but also listens to Limp Bizkit)
(1)Tube amps have been replaced by solid state amps, and that owning a tube amp is a waste of money, no matter how good you are, (2) All Ibanezes are superior to all other guitars, (3) if an electric guitar has less than 24 frets, it sucks, (3) acoustic guitars are superfluous, and owning an acoustic simulator pedal is just as good, (4) basses are unnecessary, all you need is a whammy pedal set an octave down, and to roll your tone knob down, and (5) old music (anything made before 1990) sucks because it's not new.

Friend 3: (FUCKING COUNTRY)
(1) The hotter the pickups in a guitar are, the better the guitar (unless they are EMG's, which suck), (2) Appreciation of country (for me) is a point like nirvana that I have not reached yet, and will reach someday if I get better, (3) James Taylor is the best guitarist who has ever lived,(4) AD/DC is a satanic band, and (5) using thick picks is a mark of ineptitude.

I love Texas, but God damn, the people here are retarded.
ALWAYS

WANNA BE WITH YOU,
MAKE BELIEV
E WITH YOU,
AND L
IVE IN HARMONY, HARMONY,

OH, LOOVE!
at #2
Gearz:
Squier classic vibe 50's strat, modded.
Dunlop 535q
Korg Pitchblack
Carvin X100B

Coming soon to a pedal board near you:
Analogman Sunface
Lovepedal E6
Area 51 wah
Skreddy Lunar Module
Malekko 616 Ekko
Quote by SG Man Forever
Friend 1: (bassist who loves jazz and bluegrass, and hates metal)
(1) Jazz is the ultimate form of music, and all other genres are inferior,(2) If a band's drummer has a double bass drum/double bass pedal, then they suck automatically,(3) If they use any tunings other than E or Eb standard, or an open tuning (meaning D standard, drop D, uses a 7 string, etc) then they also automatically suck,(4) That distortion should never be used, and that if something that was played with distortion does not sound as good with a clean tone, then it sucks (he didn't mean distortion covered up mistakes, he meant, that Master of Puppets sounds cool with distortion, but clean it doesn't sound as good, so it sucks), and (5) that using the harmonic minor scale means you suck.

that sounds like a metallica fan. thinking all music sucks but metallica. only in this case jazz.
I hate ignorant people, I am a huge metalhead but I am still respectful and educated in all other genres of music.
Yep find some new friends
Quote by saxaxe
YESI love you.

Quote by Wulphy
Ever stuck their finger in their ass, just to see what it was like? I did

Quote by thewho65
My sister has a big ass
Friend 2: (metal head, but also listens to Limp Bizkit)

I Lol'd
Interested in Japan? Join the Club. PM me or Kurt-Corgan.
Quote by PieceOfMind666

Haha, that was an epic pic battle. you are a worthy opponent

Quote by rifftnstrings
the hooks have been picking their scabs where wolves hide in the company of men

I fell off my chair when I saw that.
ALWAYS

WANNA BE WITH YOU,
MAKE BELIEV
E WITH YOU,
AND L
IVE IN HARMONY, HARMONY,

OH, LOOVE!
Quote by LazyLatinoRocke
okay so what was the point of posting all that?

A way for me to bitch, and also an invitation for others to do likewise.
ALWAYS

WANNA BE WITH YOU,
MAKE BELIEV
E WITH YOU,
AND L
IVE IN HARMONY, HARMONY,

OH, LOOVE!
Quote by LazyLatinoRocke
okay so what was the point of posting all that?

are you that daft? clearly the point was to vent his pent up frustration regarding his dumbass friends, and to get our input on how retarded we consider them.
My bassists dad

(Traditionalist Blues man):
1."I dont need your "apparatus" modes!! Duane Allman just played what sounded good on Elizabeth Reed.
2. "Youre going too fast!" (as he plays a ****ty chromatic run down the neck with horrible coordination)
3. "I dont know, you got too many pedals, i dont want to blow up anything."
(I bring only my Tubescreamer and Wah to his house)
4.This is SO IGNORANT....

"If you know music theory you cant play with feeling and theres no need for it"

Ibanez Jem 777BK, Carvin DC727, Fender MIM Strat
Mesa Boogie DC5
Xotic BB Preamp, Ts9, BBE GS, Boss DD-6
Weber Mass
Morley Bad Horsie 2
Ask me any questions about my gear!
#2 is the kind of people that deserve to be shot. they all sound like douchebags. find some new musicians to play with.
Member #8 of the Trumpet Players' Alliance, PM E V H 5150 to join.

Quote by GuitarHero0715
The most ****ed up thing a woman can to do a man is give your d!ck an indian burn, or bite it off.

Only bassist of the Bass Militia PM Nutter_101 to join
I have a friend like that...
Quote by Lolcheez324
1 time i was home alone and i said i want a cheeseburger and then mah dad got home and he had a bag of potatoes
Quote by rifftnstrings
the hooks have been picking their scabs where wolves hide in the company of men

****, what song is that from? i think i even have it on my ipod, i just can't think right now.
Wow, they are accomplished musicians but incredibly narrow-minded. That really sucks man, I felt that one for you like a kick in the crotch. Every single one of those I can appreciate to a point, but the extremes I certainly do not agree with at all. At your next gig, smash your guitar because of how narrow-minded your peers are!
Quote by Gregray88
I hate ignorant people, I am a huge metalhead but I am still respectful and educated in all other genres of music.

same thing but with bands aswell, lol i almost agree with that ibanez one see as i own a prestige :P joking but they are freaking wicked. i hate the guy who ever said go anyhting lower than D and you automatically suck, i wonder if he knows jazz musicans go to Drop B and C standard ALL the time....
Quote by SG Man Forever

Friend 3: (FUCKING COUNTRY)
(1) The hotter the pickups in a guitar are, the better the guitar (unless they are EMG's, which suck), (2) Appreciation of country (for me) is a point like nirvana that I have not reached yet, and will reach someday if I get better, (3) James Taylor is the best guitarist who has ever lived,(4) AD/DC is a satanic band, and (5) using thick picks is a mark of ineptitude.

I love Texas, but God damn, the people here are retarded.

How old are your friends?anyone who thinks James Taylor is the best and that AC/DC is satanic must A) know where Tanglewood is (place where BSO plays but JT has a second home in the general area where I live so he plays there too) , and B) a nun with a penchant for bad music (seriously, the whole "ROCK IS TEH SATANIC STUFFZ" is over, so get with the program)
Quote by deckerbastard69
wow practice must sound really bad since all of u have different taste

Luckily, I only play with the bassist (Friend 1) (me and him are really good friends, but he is retarded when it comes to certain things), and I am flexible enough with my playing to be able to make it sound okay. I"m playing in a praise worship band (that sucks) because all the other people I know that play instruments are just as retarded, and are already in bands.
ALWAYS

WANNA BE WITH YOU,
MAKE BELIEV
E WITH YOU,
AND L
IVE IN HARMONY, HARMONY,

OH, LOOVE!
I guess friend #1 doesn't realize that Lenny Breau or George van Eps, some of the best jazz guitarists ever, used a 7 string guitar. Or that Frank Gambale, a great jazz guitarist, uses distortion. Or that gypsy jazz, and ENTIRE sub-genre of jazz, heavily uses the harmonic minor scale. Or that he's an idiotic douchebag.
Quote by guitar_god22

thats about south africa tho...which isnt poor at all.
Quote by RyanInChains9
yea venezula is just the richest country in the world...
Quote by JDizzle787
How old are your friends?anyone who thinks James Taylor is the best and that AC/DC is satanic must A) know where Tanglewood is (place where BSO plays but JT has a second home in the general area where I live so he plays there too) , and B) a nun with a penchant for bad music (seriously, the whole "ROCK IS TEH SATANIC STUFFZ" is over, so get with the program)

Freind 3 is an older guy, about 38 I believe.
ALWAYS

WANNA BE WITH YOU,
MAKE BELIEV
E WITH YOU,
AND L
IVE IN HARMONY, HARMONY,

OH, LOOVE!
same thing but with bands aswell, lol i almost agree with that ibanez one see as i own a prestige :P joking but they are freaking wicked. i hate the guy who ever said go anyhting lower than D and you automatically suck, i wonder if he knows jazz musicans go to Drop B and C standard ALL the time....

drop B standard doesn't make any sense. You mean B and C standard.

Edit: on topic, did these people actually say this? I have a feeling your putting words in their mouth.
Last edited by that1l)ude at Jun 11, 2008,
They sound pretty stupid.....I fail to see how people think a guitar brand or genre of music is superior to others. My step dad occasionally gives me **** for listening to Metal because you "can't understand what they're saying, grrraawwrrr is all they do."....I remind him with it's a guitar/drum oriented genre unlike his favorite genre, Country, which is vocally oriented. He tries to tell me that tapping is stupid and useless. (He tried to tell me it wasn't good because you can't bend and tap but he didn't know what a bend was called. My MOM who doesn't play guitar knew what a bend was and corrected him.)
Quote by Fat Lard
Why would you spend tens of thousands of dollars to learn about a language you already speak? It was over before it even started dude

Quote by captainsnazz
brot pls
Quote by Zeppelin256
Or that gypsy jazz, and ENTIRE sub-genre of jazz, heavily uses the harmonic minor scale.

Oh yeah, I was going to say that too, like wtf? The harmonic minor scale is jazz
Quote by SG Man Forever
Freind 3 is an older guy, about 38 I believe.

I see. As I see it , never judge friends based on music tastes/ in this case, beliefs about music, or you won't have any.

I sure as hell wouldn't have any, all the adolescent-going to college demographic around here listen to is Nu Metal, emo, and bad, bad, bad "rap"
Quote by that1l)ude
drop B standard doesn't make any sense. You mean B and C standard.

Edit: on topic, did these people actually say this? I have a feeling your putting words in their mouth.

Nope. Simply putting various things they said tonight into a list format. Friend 2 and 3's quotes were said all by them exactly like that, but over a course of time, but quite a bit was said tonight. Friend 1 said everything there tonight.
ALWAYS

WANNA BE WITH YOU,
MAKE BELIEV
E WITH YOU,
AND L
IVE IN HARMONY, HARMONY,

OH, LOOVE!
My friend is also a guitarist, and plays for a hardcore band, so he's ONLY into hardcore and metal.

I'll be grooving on some jazz, and he wants me to listen to "this awesome breakdown".
All of these "awesome" breakdowns pretty much sound the same, except for one that had a sweep lick to keep it interesting.

I've got nothing against metal itself, but I'm a mellow guy. I don't care for brutality in music all that much.
GHOST BLOWJOB!
WHOOO! WOOOOOOOOOOOO!
hmmm...
-my church drummer thinks a les paul with bass strings might sound good (tuned BEADGC)
-my friend guitarist hates solos, doesn't learn any, then complains about his inability to solo
-my other friend has a real bizarre desire to avoid all minor scales except F# minor, which he played in once.
Quote by FatalGear41
I wouldn't call what we have here on the Bass Forum a mentality. It's more like the sharing part of an AA meeting.

Quote by Jason Jillard
HUMANITY WHATS WRONG WITH YOU.

Warwick Fortress>>Acoustic AB50

http://www.myspace.com/rustingbloom
Quote by rich420
****, what song is that from? i think i even have it on my ipod, i just can't think right now.

Sounds like a parody of mathcore, like Every Time I Die or The Dillinger Escape Plan.
GHOST BLOWJOB!
WHOOO! WOOOOOOOOOOOO!
Quote by the humanity
hmmm...
-my church drummer thinks a les paul with bass strings might sound good (tuned BEADGC)
-my friend guitarist hates solos, doesn't learn any, then complains about his inability to solo
-my other friend has a real bizarre desire to avoid all minor scales except F# minor, which he played in once.

what? that don't make no sense.
ALWAYS

WANNA BE WITH YOU,
MAKE BELIEV
E WITH YOU,
AND L
IVE IN HARMONY, HARMONY,

OH, LOOVE!
Quote by InvaderTSN
The 2nd friend shouldn't be allowed to breed.

He should be indoctrinated introduced to the Church of Euthanasia.

Quote by rich420

Inertiatic E.S.P.
Last edited by rifftnstrings at Jun 11, 2008,
Quote by SG Man Forever
what? that don't make no sense.

what doesn't make sense? the only time he ever played in minor willingly it was F# minor, and it was only one time.
Quote by FatalGear41
I wouldn't call what we have here on the Bass Forum a mentality. It's more like the sharing part of an AA meeting.

Quote by Jason Jillard
HUMANITY WHATS WRONG WITH YOU.

Warwick Fortress>>Acoustic AB50

http://www.myspace.com/rustingbloom
Quote by MedicreDemon
****ING COUNTRY? What the **** does that mean you douchebag?

I meant it as an assertion of force, much like a Metallica fan would say I LIKE FUCKING METALLICA DUDE!!!!!
Another way for me to write it would have been COUNTRY FUCK YEAH
ALWAYS

WANNA BE WITH YOU,
MAKE BELIEV
E WITH YOU,
AND L
IVE IN HARMONY, HARMONY,

OH, LOOVE!
I wouldn't necessarily say they're musical idiots, just elitist. I mean they could also be totally inept at music but from what you posted they mainly just seem close minded.
Feed your mind.
Page 1 of 2