is it possible to some how make a bolt on neck, set? could you glue it in real strong and tight, and then take the screws out and rework the neck joint to make it a smooth contour? u get what i mean?
Peavey XXX combo *upgraded screen resistors, Tung-Sol's, and 6L6's*
Schecter Syn Std. * modded, scalloped, and worn*
Schecter C-1 Elite *still sexy*
Ibanez AEL 12-string

"He who sticks his dick in peanut butter is fucking nuts"
Yes, but the only advantage would be the smoother neck heel. You're better off just leaving it.
to make a smoother neck heel.

so it is possible, and and if done absolutely perfect, there wouldn't be any disadvantages?
Ibanez AEL 12-string

Last edited by bjovi400 at Jun 11, 2008,
do a search. I remember a few months back someone asked the same thing and for some reason it wouldn't work. I'm sure you'll be able to find it.
Guitar:
Dean Vendetta 3 - Dave Mustaine Livewires

Amplifier
Carvin X100B - Bias Mod - Tungsol 12AX7's - JJ KT77's

I have built the most badass 212 that puts all others to shame
Quote by BGSM
Now why would you want to do that?

Quote by bjovi400
to make a smoother neck heel.

pwn'd
ah i found the thread!

the reason i am asking this is because i would love to customize an Explorer type body to my exact liking and specs, but i dont have to money to buy one with a set neck. i could maybe dish out enough for a cheaper Explorer like the LTD Ex-50 that has the bolt on. i just dont have the time to build one from scratch, SOOOO my idea was just to buy the Ex-50, use some strong ass stuff to glue the neck in place, reshape the heel , repaint the guitar snow white, rewire it with some choice pups, put all gold hardware on it, BAM! a beastly axe, customized to my liking.
Ibanez AEL 12-string

My only argument with this is that you could do that w/o glue. Just shape the heel, shorten the screws accordingly and use recessed washers instead of a plate on the back.
Quote by theshroomman
pwn'd

You're vegan, you're not welcome round these 'ere parts.
Quote by Invader Jim
Maybe he doesn't want to look at his sexy set-looking neck and see those ugly-assed screws.

He could recess the screws further into the neck/body, provided they are shortened, then just sand over the holes or put some kind of removable filler material there to hide 'em.

Looks like a "problem solved" to me.
I was an Internet Witness in the mike.h Murder Case.
Quote by Pauldapro
this man is right. everything he says is right. so, stop killing people and get therapy ffs