Page 1 of 2
Ive never herd protest the hero, there are two bands called fall of troy(that i am aware of), the indie/rock/whatever band or the metalcore band from adelaide 2000-2001ish ?
If you want to get less badass (which probably shouldn't be the case), in exchange for more melody and sappiness, you could try chiodos.
Your Signature:
i think we should have a Suggestions thread

this is like the 10th thread on people making suggestions for bands
BEAT IT, BUT NOT IN FRONT OF CHILDREN YOU DIRTY C***!-Mel Gimpsuit
Quote by XCount Me InX
i think we should have a Suggestions thread

this is like the 10th thread on people making suggestions for bands

We have three.
Quote by ch715dallat
Necrophagist how could all you n00bs forget the best german metalcore band ever. i think theyre tech metalcore tho or sumfin
Okay guys, this is now a Lets Discuss a rec thread. Seriously, we need one.
And you can't spell funeral
without fun
hope you had a good time
cuz now your life is done
mk I volunteer to start a general rec thread if it can be approved by the mods. It would start somethin like this. I would add links, genre definitions, details, subgenres, more genres, more bands, etc later. This is just something I threw together off the top of my head.

So after 500 threads asking for "bands that sound like such and such," I've taken the liberty to make one of these up. Of course, I'm not a genre expert, so feel free to complain, criticize, or contribute. This is just a bare bones way to start, there will be subgenres added to each, etc. If anyone feels they can write a section (definitions, subgenres, band lists) better than I have (as I'm sure you will), PM me and I'll add it in, with full credit to you. Just band lists for now, more to come

Hardcore (aka Hardcore Punk)
Verse
Modern Life is War
Ruiner
Bane
Terror
Madball
Killing the Dream
Pulling Teeth
Trapped Under Ice
Trash Talk
Bracewar
Death Before Dishonor
Guns Up
Have Heart
Hatebreed

Metalcore
Unearth
Parkway Drive
August Burns Red
Underoath
Protest the Hero
Arsonists Get All the Girls
Darkest Hour
The Devil Wears Prada
The Human Abstract

Deathcore
Suicide Silence
Job for a Cowboy
Winds of Plague
Whitechapel
The Boy Will Drown
The Faceless (Also considered tech death)
Beneath The Massacre
As Blood Runs Black
Bring Me The Horizon

Mathcore
The Number 12 Looks Like You
Dillinger Escape Plan
Psyopus

Post Hardcore (loose definition here, will be refined by someone more knowledgeable than myself)
Thursday
Thrice
The Fall of Troy
At the Drive In
Chiodos
Saosin
Drive like Jehu
mewithoutYou
Last edited by saxaxe at Jun 11, 2008,
Protest isn't Mathcore, they are metalcore. TFOT would probably fit better under post-hardcore. Plus, I think that there should be waaayyy more bands in the metalcore section that aren't... well... ****ty (omg opinions!).

EDIT: Add Million Dead and At The Drive-In to post hardcore.
without fun
hope you had a good time
Quote by tomohawkjoe
Okay guys, this is now a Lets Discuss a rec thread. Seriously, we need one.

Dai won't sticky them
Quote by ch715dallat
Necrophagist how could all you n00bs forget the best german metalcore band ever. i think theyre tech metalcore tho or sumfin
Quote by tomohawkjoe
Protest isn't Mathcore, they are metalcore. TFOT would probably fit better under post-hardcore. Plus, I think that there should be waaayyy more bands in the metalcore section that aren't... well... ****ty (omg opinions!).

EDIT: Add Million Dead and At The Drive-In to post hardcore.

mk, thanks. And as for the ****ty metalcore bands, they're just the first that popped into me head haha.
mk I volunteer to start a general rec thread if it can be approved by the mods. It would start somethin like this. I would add links, genre definitions, details, subgenres, more genres, more bands, etc later. This is just something I threw together off the top of my head.

So after 500 threads asking for "bands that sound like such and such," I've taken the liberty to make one of these up. Of course, I'm not a genre expert, so feel free to complain, criticize, or contribute. This is just a bare bones way to start, there will be subgenres added to each, etc. If anyone feels they can write a section (definitions, subgenres, band lists) better than I have (as I'm sure you will), PM me and I'll add it in, with full credit to you. Just band lists for now, more to come

Hardcore (aka Hardcore Punk)
Verse
Modern Life is War
Ruiner
Bane
Terror
Madball
Killing the Dream
Pulling Teeth
Trapped Under Ice
Trash Talk
Bracewar
Death Before Dishonor
Guns Up
Have Heart
Hatebreed

Metalcore
Unearth
Parkway Drive
August Burns Red
Underoath
Arsonists Get All the Girls
Darkest Hour
The Devil Wears Prada
The Human Abstract

Deathcore
Suicide Silence
Job for a Cowboy
Winds of Plague
Whitechapel
The Boy Will Drown
The Faceless (Also considered tech death)
Beneath The Massacre
As Blood Runs Black
Bring Me The Horizon

Mathcore
The Fall of Troy
The Number 12 Looks Like You
Dillinger Escape Plan
Protest the Hero
Psyopus

Post Hardcore (loose definition here, will be refined by someone more knowledgeable than myself)
Thursday
Thrice
Chiodos
Saosin
Drive like Jehu
mewithoutYou

I will work on writing the deathcore section, since I'm ace.
Quote by ch715dallat
Quote by 'StoleN'
I will work on writing the deathcore section, since I'm ace.

ok.
Do you guys think it would be worth posting as a new thread?
Should I PM a mod with a sticky request?
Quote by saxaxe
mk, thanks. And as for the ****ty metalcore bands, they're just the first that popped into me head haha.

I figured you were just putting them there because they were more popular and would help people with some confusion. Either way, I think they do need to be there, but I don't want people getting the idea that all those bands are what metalcore should sound like.

EDIT: PM him for right now but don't start the thread yet. I think this should be thoroughly discussed before any action is taken. Especially since we really aren't in a position to make decisions for the forum without mod approval.

EDIT: WHERES MY MILLION DEAD
without fun
hope you had a good time
Last edited by tomohawkjoe at Jun 11, 2008,
Quote by saxaxe
right right.

BTW:
Dibs on startin the rec thread.

Sure thing.
without fun
hope you had a good time
Quote by saxaxe
ok.
Do you guys think it would be worth posting as a new thread?
Should I PM a mod with a sticky request?

I would recommend making it a bit more elaborate then your post here before starting a new thread, then really get it up to snuff before asking for a sticky.
Quote by ch715dallat
Well I PMed the mods, and of course I'd refine it and perfect it before actually posting it. I just wanted verification that it would be stickied before I make the effort.
Quote by 'StoleN'
I would recommend making it a bit more elaborate then your post here before starting a new thread, then really get it up to snuff before asking for a sticky.

Yeah, this is probably what we should get done first. Also, Sadist or STABxYOU if your reading this, write up a Power Violence and Crust Punk section please.
without fun
hope you had a good time
Quote by saxaxe
Well I PMed the mods, and of course I'd refine it and perfect it before actually posting it. I just wanted verification that it would be stickied before I make the effort.

Sounds good.

Quote by ch715dallat
check first page, post #11.
without fun
hope you had a good time
we're trying to write up a rec thread, and we need a pv section for it. So I was wondering if you could write a pv and/or crust punk section for it.
without fun
hope you had a good time
Quote by SadistNation
what?

I'm makin a rec thread. If you could, write up a PV definition/genre outine, and a list of bands, organized as you see fit. PM it to me, and I'll stick it in the thread with full credit to you.
Quote by SadistNation
have one already. it's on the 1st page now

ok. If my plans work out and I consolidate the rec threads into one, would you mind if I take from that thread?
go ahead. that list is huge list of just pv and crust, if you acutally want a rec list that's like smaller and rec worthy let me know.
Quote by SadistNation
go ahead. that list is huge list of just pv and crust, if you acutally want a rec list that's like smaller and rec worthy let me know.

That would be great. The thread's got a pretty huge list, so something with the most accessible/best starting points, etc. I'll link to the actual thread in the section too.
Quote by SadistNation

Actually, I think it would be better if we had a smaller list with bands that could give a good overview of the genre with like a short description of the genre itself.

EDIT: What saxaxe said.
without fun
hope you had a good time
Quote by tomohawkjoe
Actually, I think it would be better if we had a smaller list with bands that could give a good overview of the genre with like a short description of the genre itself.

EDIT: What saxaxe said.

yep
ok

Bruce Banner
Dropdead
Weekend Nachos
Asshole Assassination Squad (AxAxS)
Crossed Out
Extortion
The Slight Slappers
Waco ****
Sick Fix
Infest
Charles Bronson
ACxDC
Apathetic Ronald McDonald (AxRxM)
**** on the Beach

is that too big?
That's about the right size. You could fit in a few more bands even. And a short definition and overview of the genre would be great too. And I'll include Toxic Narcotic and No Comment cuz I love em.
yeah, a short description would be great. Which leads me to say we also need some short descriptions for the other genres as well saxaxe. If any regs reading this want to contribute please do so.
without fun
hope you had a good time
Page 1 of 2