Poll: Would you buy a Les Paul over a SG even if the Les Paul was more expensive?
Poll Options
View poll results: Would you buy a Les Paul over a SG even if the Les Paul was more expensive?
Yes
36 52%
No
33 48%
Voters: 69.
Page 1 of 2
So I'm sittin at home and i go online to see an amazing guitar, The Epiphone SG Prophecy (and it's amazing cause it's in my range of a decent guitar). The only problem is, my bassist thinks that SG's look like ****, and wants me to get the Les Paul verison, which is exactly the same, but cost $150 more. So I want to see if people would get the SG over the Les Paul.

SG cost $550
Les Paul cost $700

EDIT: Forgot to mention that they both have EMGS, if you see one that says dirty fingers, its just the different model of it with different pickups. Same price though.
Last edited by Rojam at Jun 11, 2008,
Quote by oggiedoggy
If I'm not mistaken the Les Paul version comes with EMG's and the SG comes with Dirtyfingers? That would justify a price difference

there are actually 2 verison of each theres the SG EX(with emgs) and DX(with dirty fingers) and the Les Paul EX(EMGS) and DX(dirty Fingers)

les paul is still $700 either way, and SG is $550
I wish I knew enough guitar stuff to understand the difference
Epiphone Les Paul Standard

Fender Frontman 15G

Squire Strat.
i got an epiphone sg for $300 and it kicks ass! a good les paul will be $450. go to guitarcenter.com
Quote by frankum
I wish I knew enough guitar stuff to understand the difference
I've heard the phrase "bees in a can" describing EMG's before, while they are still quite popular. Some prefer the more organic? you could say? tones of a regular pickup (the diryfingers).

and to the TS, imo I would lean towards a les paul style body because the SG "neck sag" irritates me
Last edited by oggiedoggy at Jun 11, 2008,
I prefer the les paul personaly, but i would suggest going to the store and trying them out and messing around with them a bit. I would choose the one that sounds the best for what you are trying to play, and of course consider the price. But seriously this is your guitar man, the bassist isn't going to be playing this, so go with what you like.
not a fan of the sg body style but it comes down to what u want and like...please yourself, not everyone else
ESP Eclipse with blackouts (Snow White)
Taylor 814ce (tabacco sunburst)
Dean Dime o Flage
Spider valve mkii
Fender Super Reverb
Peavey Vypyr 15
SG> Les Pauls

That post was wholeheartedly based on my hate and loathing for Les Pauls

/puts up flame shield
BACK LIKE A HEART ATTACK
We the people of the Electric guitar forum......command you to buy whatever the **** you want to!!!!

My things:
Bowes SLx7
Washburn WG587
Washburn X40Pro
Washburn X50
Washburn HM24
Washburn WR150
Laguna LE200s
Arietta Acoustic
First Act
Valveking 112
VHT Deliverance

Im gettin what i the SG, but i want to see what other people would do.
Quote by Rojam

If you have already made your decision, then why is it important that you find out what other people would have done in your place if its not going to affect your own decision?
Got a question about Baritone guitars? Feel free to PM me.

Thanks to UG, I converted from Metalcore to some "real" Metal.
Quote by Rojam

i would skip both then...
ESP Eclipse with blackouts (Snow White)
Taylor 814ce (tabacco sunburst)
Dean Dime o Flage
Spider valve mkii
Fender Super Reverb
Peavey Vypyr 15
Quote by Kai07
SG> Les Pauls

That post was wholeheartedly based on my hate and loathing for Les Pauls

/puts up flame shield

I'm sure he hates and loathes you back, Kai.
Do YOU know who Les Paul is?

Guitars:
-Epiphone Dot Studio
Amps:
-Fender Stage 112 SE
Effects:
-BBE Soul Vibe
-Boss OD-1 Overdrive
-Ibanez DE-7 Delay
tell your bassist to buy the les paul for you if he wants it so bad. sg's rule!!!!!!!!!! the sg is way more playable up in the higher frets. les paul dont let you do that.
Last edited by mg14 at Jun 17, 2008,
uhm...your all retarded if they both have emgs they are going to sound exactly the same so whats the point?
Quote by Jack Off Jill
Better than hooked on crack, I suppose. I'd rather know my kids are safe at home beating their meat than out in the world robbing old women for their crack fix.

Quote by *sigh*
What a huge coincidence. I have a butthole also.
How about an agile les paul instead of an epiphone? Those sound, look and feel better.

Anyways I think SGs are some of the ugliest guitars in existence. But don't buy for others, buy for yourself, so get the one you like. SG does feel better than the les paul after all. Although i prefer the appearance of the LP.
Its what YOU want. If your bassist said Blowing off your dick with a shotgun was cooler than plowing his hot sister would you blow your dick off?
I would buy the LP, but only cos I don't like the SG shape!
Quote by Kensai

Awesome guy right here
Quote by oggiedoggy
I've heard the phrase "bees in a can" describing EMG's before, while they are still quite popular. Some prefer the more organic? you could say? tones of a regular pickup (the diryfingers).

That is a metric ton of bullsh*t. The second part of your post certainly has merit, but the only thing that makes EMGs sound buzzy is crappy amplification and/or EQing. EMGs have flatter frequency response than other (read: passive) pickups, as well as usually higher output. In a way, this leaves more to the amplification and EQ than to the pickup.

If you want to hear an example of thick EMG tones then listen to Buck Dharma on Blue Oyster Cult's live album A Long Day's Night... some of the smoothest and thickest tone I've ever heard.

On topic, I like SGs a lot, but they are rather unbalanced and do not sustain as long as a Les Paul. They do, however, have better fret access. It's a tradeoff between functionality and sustain/tone in my opinion - the SG will have more high end.
Steinberger GU/Spirit w/ Moses Graphite neck, EMG 81-85
"Fireball" Pacer/RG hybrid

Furman Power Conditioner
Axe-Fx Standard
ART SLA-1
Yamaha S112V
Peak FCB4N
As the representative of the people of the Soviet Union, we honestly believe nothing is better than a good Soviet Guitar.
Guitars:
Schecter C-1+ Black Cherry FMT
2008 American Standard Stratocaster Candy Cola

AMPS:
Fender G-DEC
Fender Dyna-touch III Stage 1000
Vox Valvetronix XL AD30VTXL

Pedals:
DOD Supradistortion FX-55B (w/ Boost)
well I'm a huge SG fan, but you really need to play both and pick which one you like best.
make Industrial and/or experimental electronic music? Join my group!

Last.fm
go with what YOU like. Not what your bassist thinks.
What if you break up eventually? You have an Les Paul sitting, when you rather would like an sg, and for what reason? No.
Ibanez s540 with gold Schaller bridge and OMGGOLD hardware

Ibanez RGR320 with Lo-Edge Pro bridge and scalloped fretboard

Lee Jackson XLSC - 500

Roland Microcube

Dunlop Jazz III black
i say sg, its lighter than the lespaul and has a lot of the same stuff like pickups an you save 150
I prefer the look and feel of the Les Paul, so the price difference wouldn't matter to me.

Make sure you get what YOU want though because it's your guitar.
Quote by Rojam
So I'm sittin at home and i go online to see an amazing guitar, The Epiphone SG Prophecy (and it's amazing cause it's in my range of a decent guitar). The only problem is, my bassist thinks that SG's look like ****, and wants me to get the Les Paul verison, which is exactly the same, but cost $150 more. So I want to see if people would get the SG over the Les Paul.

SG cost $550
Les Paul cost $700

EDIT: Forgot to mention that they both have EMGS, if you see one that says dirty fingers, its just the different model of it with different pickups. Same price though.

i love the LP shape.

ive never played an SG but i like a few bands who use them... i just prefer the look of the LP.
Thank you please.
Sg

Pro's
- Cheaper
- Higher fret acces
- Kickass look
- Lighter (weight not sound)

Con's
- Huge neck dive

Les paul
Pro's
- longer sustain
- Better placed Pup selector
- Balanced (no neck dive)
Con's
Heavy
- poor fret acces
- thick neck

Decide foor yourself
Quote by zxkevkop
Sg

Pro's
- Cheaper
- Higher fret acces
- Kickass look
- Lighter (weight not sound)

Con's
- Huge neck dive

I've never had a problem with neck dive on my SG although mines body is swamp ash instead of mahogany which might make a difference.
make Industrial and/or experimental electronic music? Join my group!

Last.fm
Page 1 of 2