yes i know locrian is weird and nobody uses it
but i think it sounds cooler than all the other modes

i know the theory behind locrian but i cant seem to make it sound good
part of the reason probably being i cant figure out anything in modes except for majors, minors, 7's.

can anyone show me some alternative chords i can substitute them with, like 1 chord, 2 chord, etc. (chords like diminished, augmented, 6, 9, etc)
Locrian would be played over a static m7b5 chord. Any attempt to built a progression will result in a resolution to the relative major.
Someones knowledge of guitar companies spelling determines what amps you can own. Really smart people can own things like Framus because they sound like they might be spelled with a "y" but they aren't.
not what i asked for, i know how to write in locrian
i just need to know better chords i can use than major minor and 7th
Quote by EddieCraig
not what i asked for, i know how to write in locrian
i just need to know better chords i can use than major minor and 7th

Then don't title your thread "help with locrian".
Someones knowledge of guitar companies spelling determines what amps you can own. Really smart people can own things like Framus because they sound like they might be spelled with a "y" but they aren't.
Quote by EddieCraig
but i need help with locrian
did you just read the title?

I read your post and it made no God damn sense. Major and minor 7th have absolutely nothing to do with locrian, and I had no ****ing idea what you were talking about, so I went with the thread title. You've demonstrated in this thread and others that you have no idea what modes are, and you need to read the theory sticky.
He gave you your answer. The reason that you can't make it sound as nice is because once other chords are added the progression will sound as if your trying to play in the relative major mode while you're still trying to force the song to fit the locrian mode. It'll sound like hell usually. So if you're going to write a riff in locrian, make sure to have it played over a half-diminished chord. The reason nobody really uses it is because we all have the same problem with it that you do now, its hard to sustain something that sounds good for any lengthly period of time.
If nothing else you're ambitious. If I were you I might try Locrian #6, which is a mode of the harmonic minor and is, IMO, a bit more sustainable. Of course, it wouldn't really be locrian then would it?
maybe try an X b6

Try strumming the basic blues shuffle. Instead of shuffling between
the 5&6 , shuffle 5 ,b6

Maybe try shuffling between the root and b2.
Make regular power chord and hold it.
Use you middle finger to shuffle the b2.

If you like that mystical sound, maybe try playing
the phrygian domiant over the V chord.

Maybe start out with a simple progression of two chords.
The VI and III chord.
The locrian is similar to the phyrgian
The harmonic minor is similar to the aerlian.

Once you get familar with the progression.
You can try axis picth.
Alternate between the locrain and phrygian while over the III.
Alternate between the aerlian and harmonic minor over the VI.
Last edited by Ordinary at Jun 12, 2008,
^
Becuase i live in a funkie world with a funkie wife, funkie kids and a funkie dog.
Sometimes I get driven the funk out of my funken mind.
It dosn't look right, feel right, smell right,or taste right.lol
So i figrue i might as will make it sound funkie too.
This way I can truely make art imiate life.....
It would be my greatest master piece
To T/S, do you understand what playing modally means? It either means a way a chord progression is constructed or the way in which a melody relates to the chord playing underneath.

Either way, it's not modally locrian if your not using the m7b5 chord. Using locrian over any other chord will sound yuck