Alright, so i'm going to university next september, and uckily i get a new laptop. i am pretty computer savvy as i've been a gamer since like the first GTA and Warcraft.
getting to the point i'm trying to pick one that will best suit my needs. i forsee my laptop being used for the normal things, word processing, music and internet browsing, along with not so normal things, like recording and producing music, and of course GAMING. i play mainly RTS pc games, not FPS or anything fancy so my computer doesn't need to be TOO graphics heavy, you know?
ok so to suit my needs this is basically what im asking,
- Intel vs Athalon?
- which processor for each, is anything greater than the Intel t5550 or the AMD Turion 64x2 TL-62 necessary?
-graphics card? i know i'll need a dedicated gfx card, not just integrated, but 256mb dedicated graphics sufficient?
- obviously like 4 gigs of ram and like 250gigsHDD
- wireless N is useless right? ive been told that its less stable and not even faster than G networks.
- ALSO importantly, which brands should i stay away from, i have an acer right now and it is ****, so unless it was a lemon, i''m never getting another one. and every HP i have used overheated like crazy. so any specific brands to recommend?
-thanks a LOT

EDIT: Also...sound cards! im guessing sound blaster is still the standard for top quality sound
Last edited by tona_107 at Jun 11, 2008,
AMD has decent CPUs for cheaper, but currently I'm still going with C2D's. AMD is coming up with some better CPUs pretty soon though.

256mb should be sufficient to run most RTS

You don't need 4GB ram. A good CPU is more important.

Acer, HP, Vaio. They should be fine.

...modes and scales are still useless.

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Hey guys could you spare a minute to Vote for my band. Go to the site Search our band Listana with CTRL+F for quick and vote Thank you .
Quote by sam b
Voted for Patron Çıldırdı.

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana
Quote by Xiaoxi
AMD has decent CPUs for cheaper, but currently I'm still going with C2D's. AMD is coming up with some better CPUs pretty soon though.

thanks alot bro, so yeah this is the one i'm checking otu right now, i figure 2.1ghz x 2 is pretty dope

http://www.bestbuy.ca/catalog/proddetail.asp?sku_id=0926INGFS10099886&catid=25253&PCName=laptop%5F1000%5F1499&logon=&langid=EN
Quote by Processing
Try a gameboy color? ... pokemon edition.

its actually hialrious becuase i own that exact gameboy
Quote by Xiaoxi

also, what does pretty soon mean? like by the end of the summer?
Dell XPS m1530?
Then just get minimum RAM and upgrade yourself from newegg, much cheaper since ALL outlets overcharge for RAM.

Quote by tona_107

If it's gonna be new, it's going to be expensive.
Abbreviated version:
Quote by Lots of People

Quote by :.FireStorm.:
+1 Maus24

:.FireStorm.: - #15 poster in the thread, #1 in my heart.

o _o
/###############
|###############
\###############

Member #6 of the "Shoop da Whoop" club
pm C.C. Deville to join
Quote by Xiaoxi

Are Asus laptops pretty nice, as well?

I've got my eye on a nice one, but I don't know a WHOLE lot about them.
Voted 3rd Friendliest User of UG 2010

BUILD A TIME MACHINE, AND JERK OFF IN IT, AND SEND IT TO HITLER!

Saxo-Walrus

Steam & PSN ID: Panopticon20
Quote by tona_107

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/AMD_Barcelona
So it's out already? But not out to the public yet?

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Hey guys could you spare a minute to Vote for my band. Go to the site Search our band Listana with CTRL+F for quick and vote Thank you .
Quote by sam b

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana
Quote by tona_107
- Intel vs Athalon?
- which processor for each, is anything greater than the Intel t5550 or the AMD Turion 64x2 TL-62 necessary?
-graphics card? i know i'll need a dedicated gfx card, not just integrated, but 256mb dedicated graphics sufficient?
- obviously like 4 gigs of ram and like 250gigsHDD
- wireless N is useless right? ive been told that its less stable and not even faster than G networks.
- ALSO importantly, which brands should i stay away from, i have an acer right now and it is ****, so unless it was a lemon, i''m never getting another one. and every HP i have used overheated like crazy. so any specific brands to recommend?
-thanks a LOT

EDIT: Also...sound cards! im guessing sound blaster is still the standard for top quality sound

- intel, no question
- sorry, dont know a whole lot about laptop processors
- even if you are playing RTS games like world in conflict and so on use a lot of juice so aim for around an 8600GT (the ram of a graphics card means very little)
- i think thats right, again not an expert on laptops
- dell make pretty solid laptops and so do asus except ive heard their battery life inst great.

as for overall ram, 2 gig is pleanty
Quote by Processing
Try a gameboy color? ... pokemon edition.

Pretty sweet Gameboy, that one.

I remember having GAS for one when I was younger. If GAS could be applied to Pokemon edition Gameboys, that is.
Quote by fallenangel20
Are Asus laptops pretty nice, as well?

I've got my eye on a nice one, but I don't know a WHOLE lot about them.

Based on Newegg reviews, they seem to be pretty good...

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Quote by sam b

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana
Quote by tona_107
thanks alot bro, so yeah this is the one i'm checking otu right now, i figure 2.1ghz x 2 is pretty dope

http://www.bestbuy.ca/catalog/proddetail.asp?sku_id=0926INGFS10099886&catid=25253&PCName=laptop%5F1000%5F1499&logon=&langid=EN

I'd up it to 2.4. Then it'll be sick.

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Quote by sam b

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana
Quote by Xiaoxi
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/AMD_Barcelona
So it's out already? But not out to the public yet?

holy****omfgjsdhgkjsdg are you serious? 10ghz? jizz in my pants? but i am confused, is that right becuase later in the article it just says like 2ghz...

also are quad cores gonna become affordable in laptops any time soon? are they even useful for my applications?
Quote by Xiaoxi

im tempted to agree with this but it isnt a huuuge deal. personally id be looking for a slightly better graphics card but on the other hand, 5.5 hours of battery life is pretty fantastic for those specs compared to other laptops ive seen
Quote by Xiaoxi

its funny cause 2.4 x 2 would be exactly 4 times more powerful than the laptop i'm on now
Quote by tona_107
holy****omfgjsdhgkjsdg are you serious? 10ghz? jizz in my pants? but i am confused, is that right becuase later in the article it just says like 2ghz...

also are quad cores gonna become affordable in laptops any time soon? are they even useful for my applications?

You won't need quad core unless you're doing super hardcore gaming (perhaps Crysis on full settings?)
Abbreviated version:
Quote by Lots of People

Quote by :.FireStorm.:
+1 Maus24

:.FireStorm.: - #15 poster in the thread, #1 in my heart.

o _o
/###############
|###############
\###############

Member #6 of the "Shoop da Whoop" club
pm C.C. Deville to join
Quote by Maus24
You won't need quad core unless you're doing super hardcore gaming (perhaps Crysis on full settings?)

multiple processors arent really for gaming par se, more for running many many programs or apps simultaneously.... gamers usually used overclocked cpus
Quote by tona_107

I don't rally know anything about the K10s...just that they exist. :P

Quad core...meh I don't think you need it.

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Quote by sam b

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana
Quote by richiemokkiez
Custom-make and you'll never go wrong.

It's pretty hard to build your own laptop...

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Quote by sam b

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana
Quote by Xiaoxi
It's pretty hard to build your own laptop...

i'm pretty sure azn is a requirement when it comes to building your own laptop. no one else has mad skillz like such, god i wish i was blessed.
and thanks alot for the help xiaoxi and company

but im pretty sure he meant like...dell it and say exactly what you want, ya know?
Last edited by tona_107 at Jun 11, 2008,
Quote by tona_107
i'm pretty sure azn is a requirement when it comes to building your own laptop. no one else has mad skillz like such
I gotta work on my azn then...

but im pretty sure he meant like...dell it and say exactly what you want, ya know?
Well, almost all companies have customization options. But that's not the same as building your own.

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Quote by sam b

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana
i just bought my vaio for the same reasons your looking for a computer for. mines got an intel ti9300 core duo - 2.5 ghz, 4gb ram, 300 gb hard drive, nivida geforce 8400 graphics, had a display upgrade so the screen had 1080 full hd, and its perfect for what im using it for.

definetly go for the intel. for gaming purposes keep it above 2.3 ghz id recommend higher, get the 4 gb of ram, my geforce 8400 was as good as sony offered for laptop graphics at the time, dont worry about wireless, i have a,b,g and n compatible. there fine, i dont notice anything. as for the overheating, i havent noticed it with hps, and ive had no problems with my sony so far. ive only had it a week or so.

your best off choosing a brand and then customizing it yourself. i spent 1650 on mine. and its worth it. if you want a nice computer be ready to spend the money on it.
Quote by fallenangel20

And thanks MotleyCrueSATD, that was pretty awesome.

Quote by hemi-san
the truth he speaks well, harken unto his word.
Quote by MotleyCrueSATD
i just bought my vaio for the same reasons your looking for a computer for. mines got an intel ti9300 core duo - 2.5 ghz, 4gb ram, 300 gb hard drive, nivida geforce 8400 graphics, had a display upgrade so the screen had 1080 full hd, and its perfect for what im using it for.

definetly go for the intel. for gaming purposes keep it above 2.3 ghz id recommend higher, get the 4 gb of ram, my geforce 8400 was as good as sony offered for laptop graphics at the time, dont worry about wireless, i have a,b,g and n compatible. there fine, i dont notice anything. as for the overheating, i havent noticed it with hps, and ive had no problems with my sony so far. ive only had it a week or so.

your best off choosing a brand and then customizing it yourself. i spent 1650 on mine. and its worth it. if you want a nice computer be ready to spend the money on it.

link me a site with your laptop please i wanna creep it haha your post has been monstrously helpful. nad 1650 isnt a big deal my parents are paying for most of it and im working all sumer, a couple weeks will pay the extra money i need to dish out.