My band is a metalcore thrash metal band influenced by Unearth, Lamb of God and others alike and were thinking of changing to 7 strings.

So can you guys tell me about them the pros and cons? Which do you prefer 6 or 7 strings? If We do get them What should we tune to? And what 7 strings are cheap In 600 -700 $$ area or cheaper? What amps should we use with them or does it matter? Pick ups?

So thanks and this would be a great help for me and the band!

Peace
NICK-NAC PATTY WACK GIVE A DOG A HANDJOB!

The day I see a squirrel masturbating to pictures of other squirrels is the day that we'll lose our human uniqueness.
i have an rg7321 7 string i found little use for it actually i take the top e string and remove it and tune all my strings down for heavyness and good tone
Quote by Allnightmask22

Alternatively, have your friends hold him down, then take a dump in his mouth, make sure your genitals don't touch him though, that's gay.

Quote by RageAgainst...
Teddy-Metal
for those who like to mosh, but just wanna cuddle afterwards

smashing pumkins fans=)^
dunno too much about 7 strings, but i do know that Schecter makes some pretty good 7 string guitars in your price range
we want to go heavey but still able to shred when needed

The day I see a squirrel masturbating to pictures of other squirrels is the day that we'll lose our human uniqueness.
Ibanez S7320, RG1527, RG7321 or maybe even an Apex are good choices.
From Schecter there's the Hellraiser, the Blackjack and the Jeff Loomis sig. they are all awesome as well Most people keep their 7-strings in standard tuning, as far as I know, but tuning it down half a step or dropping the B-string to an A are also common tunings.
Brigadier of the 7-string legion. 7>6

Fender Telecaster
Schecter Damien 7
Engl Fireball
Quote by Shwing55
My band is a metalcore thrash metal band influenced by Unearth, Lamb of God and others alike and were thinking of changing to 7 strings.

So can you guys tell me about them the pros and cons? Which do you prefer 6 or 7 strings? If We do get them What should we tune to? And what 7 strings are cheap In 600 -700 $$ area or cheaper? What amps should we use with them or does it matter? Pick ups?

So thanks and this would be a great help for me and the band!

Peace

depends on the size of your hands really if you have fairly large hands you can handle a 7 which gives you more versitility and can save you having 2 different tuned guitars, if not then its a struggle to play them and your playing style changes not to mention being harder to shred on.

I got a hellraiser 7 but i have small hands and fingers so its tough and there isnt all that many benefits in terms of bigger chords or bigger scales..the only time i use it is for the br00tal chugging or a couple of extra scale notes. Im going back to two 6ers
Try one out for yourself, see if you like it......if not keep with detuned 6's or something. That is the only way you're going to work it out, i find it way more conventional to have an extra string rather than detuning all the time to get some low end.

Bjoern pretty much covered all the available 7's in your sorta range, probably worth mentioning the Agile models and the LTD SC607/B ranges. As for tunings you can use whatever you want really, unearth tune to a standard tuning, but you can go wherever you want with it, you just have to compensate for the sound by EQ'ing your amp a bit. A 7 will not immediately sound great through your rig, you have to work out what gauges of string work best for you.

And as for pickups, most of the popular 6 string models are available as 7 string variants, be careful with active EMG's though, they will not fit in a conventional 7 string p'up routing, extra work will need to be done.

Any more questions or queries look to the 7 string thread in the EG forum.
Quote by DiMeTiMe
RJ shredding? lol

Alot better than you can

Thanks every one

anything else?

Quote by Say Ocean
If you can get used to the feel, there is basically no con

^ This

Whether you use the five extra semi tones for chugging or extending chords/scales the extra can be very helpful. You might just want to look at seven strings the company of whatever guitar you have now makes now so that feel will stay close to the same. Unless you want to try something new...
Quote by DiMeTiMe
Haha, RJ...

Get the Ibanez Xiphos (replace Edge III) or Schecter Loomis sig....

the 7 string xiphos has a fixed bridge, no tremolo.
Guitar:
Schecter Omen 6 (Dimarzio X2N & Tone Zone)
Amps:
Engl Fireball
Genz Benz G-Flex 2x12 Cab
Quote by DiMeTiMe

Definitely not at sweeping, and I never hear you play any lead stuff .
But your awesome at that chug-chug rhythm stuff .

All you ever do is sweeping ive never seen you do anything else, and you dont lisen when iam playing Because your so focused on getting the guitar, But the sweeping thing is true.

Would you guys rather see a band with 7 or 6 strings?

What tuning would work if i wanted to be heaveyer than standerd?

Quote by Shwing55

Well..you guys are doing fine with 6 strings right now. If you eventually do go to 7 strings, Drop A would be f'in heavy (AEADGBE).
True i dont think were gunna change

Quote by Shwing55

we would rather HEAR a good band, we don't want to see a cool looking band.

standard tuning for a 7 string is pretty heavy. you can tune your guitar however you want, you don't need our opinion.
Ibanez RG7321
Dean Evo Special 7
Agile AL-2000
ESP LTD VB-300
Peavey Vypyr 30
General of the 7 String/ERG Legion

Quote by Bentheemo
Thats probably some of the best advice I've ever received on here.
Quote by ugmung
we would rather HEAR a good band, we don't want to see a cool looking band.

standard tuning for a 7 string is pretty heavy. you can tune your guitar however you want, you don't need our opinion.

Very true

Quote by darth awsome
Get 8 strings and tune down a half step. Every thing else is just sissy.

Meshuggah fan?

EDIT: I can think of one con... there aren't alot of HSS 7 string guitars put there, and some 7 stringers will refuse to go back to 6, but I guess you can go custom...
RIP Jasmine You.

Lieutenant of the 7-string/ERG Legion

Quote by FaygoBro420
Yo wassup, I'm trying to expand my musical horizons if you know what I mean, so can anybody reccomend me some cool Juggalo jazz?
Last edited by aznrockerdude at Jun 17, 2008,
Yea