I'm planning on buying a Washburn X37 seven string guitar, but it has two passive pickups. I hear this is total **** for seven strings, so I'd like to change em up for some active EMG's. Is this a hard/painful process?

Would I have to route a new chamber or something? If yes...is it hard?

Thanks guys.

EDIT: Stupid spelling...
Blackstar HT-5

Agile AL-2000 with Chrome Hardware
Passive pickups are fine for seven strings dude. Don't worry about it.
"there is no spoone" - The Matricks
there's no problem with passive pickups. for replacing it with actives, you need to route a battery chamber. or, just fit it in your control cavity but it would be a pain to replace batteries.
Ibanez RG321MH (Air Classic/Tone Zone)
Fernandes Telecaster (Twang King/stock bridge pickup)
Blackstar HT-20 (Scumback 55 speaker/ Tung Sol tubes)
TC Electronic Nova Repeater
Lava Cables Clear Connect, Soar and Mini ELC
Quote by leviticus_22953
there's no problem with passive pickups. for replacing it with actives, you need to route a battery chamber. or, just fit it in your control cavity but it would be a pain to replace batteries.

Is this a hard proccess?
Blackstar HT-5

i haven't tried it. the studio i play in has a ibanez which they put EMGs in. they did not route for a battery chamber. they put the batteries in the control cavity. so every time they need to replace battteries, they would have to unscrew the cover then screw it again. having a routed battery chamber makes things easier.
Ibanez RG321MH (Air Classic/Tone Zone)
Fernandes Telecaster (Twang King/stock bridge pickup)
Blackstar HT-20 (Scumback 55 speaker/ Tung Sol tubes)
TC Electronic Nova Repeater
Lava Cables Clear Connect, Soar and Mini ELC
Quote by CrushedCan
Is this a hard proccess?

Can you route wood without screwing it up? Do you know how to solder? If you aren't at least a little mechanically inclined, I'd say you should get with a guitar tech/luthier.
This space foreclosed, due to the ailing economy.
Soldering is a no worry, the wood might be a bit harder...
Blackstar HT-5

Quote by leviticus_22953
i haven't tried it. the studio i play in has a ibanez which they put EMGs in. they did not route for a battery chamber. they put the batteries in the control cavity. so every time they need to replace battteries, they would have to unscrew the cover then screw it again. having a routed battery chamber makes things easier.

Also, that doesn't sound so bad...they're supposed to last like 9000 hours or something. I don't plan on leaving the guitar plugged in either.

And I've always got a screwdriver in my case anyways.
Blackstar HT-5

But there really is no need to switch the pups to active. The passive pickups will do fine, in fact I think even better in my opinion.
"there is no spoone" - The Matricks
Well it's a 150 $ guitar, I raelly doubt the intial pups will be amazing.

Also, this guitar will be for br00talz oriented stuff...
Blackstar HT-5

Active pickups aren't going to make any difference with the gear you have - if you want br00talz save up for a louder, more metal-oriented amp.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Quote by steven seagull
Active pickups aren't going to make any difference with the gear you have - if you want br00talz save up for a louder, more metal-oriented amp.

A point well made, and I will probably either get a Valveking or an RG50TC, then replace the speakers and tubes...it's more of a budget thing than anything. Later on down the road I'll probably grab a better amp ala dual recto or something of the sort.

But, at the moment, I really want to get a seven string so I can get used to playing one at home and incorporating it into my practice.
Blackstar HT-5

If you're dead set on getting active pickups and the Washburn has a rear control cavity cover (I'm not familiar with the model), you can buy battery clips that mount onto the plastic cover and swing out for replacement. You'd then just have to cut into the plastic cover to mount it vs wrecking your guitar.
Attachments:
Battery_Box_Detail.jpg
Moving on.....