Page 1 of 2
because there's many forms of minor scales (harmonic, melodic, etc.)
:
BC Rich Bronze Warlock
Ibanez Artcore AFS75T
Fender CD-SCE140 Acoustic Electric
1962 Guild MKIII Classical
there is more than one minor scale. there is the harmonic minor, and melodic minor.

EDIT: Pretty nice website you got there.
MY MUSIC!

Quote by severed-metal

Strawberries are cool in real life, but in ice cream, they're like neighbour kids who live across the street from you who like to steal your virginity.

Gear:
Schecter Hellraiser C-6 FR, C-7 FR, C-8
ESP LTD MH-250 w/ EMG 81/85
Last edited by djn419 at Jun 12, 2008,
It is just called the minor scale, conventionally. Pure/Natural is just more specific. Minor scales include b3, as opposed to 3, found in major and dominant scales.
If you just say minor scale, everyone will know what you mean. But technically speaking, anything with a b3 is a type of minor scale. So the website needs you to be more specific.
b3 b6 and b7

C major = C D E F G A B C and the A natural minor scale is A B C D E F G A (A is the 6th degree of C major) (nat minor)

same concept goes for the other keys only you are adding sharps/flats
Last edited by newguitars08 at Jun 12, 2008,
Quote by newguitars08
b3 6 and 7

C major = C D E F G A B C and the A natural minor scale is A B C D E F G A (A is the 6th degree of C major) (nat minor)

same concept goes for the other keys only you are adding sharps/flats

b3 6 7 is melodic minor.

b3 b6 b7 is natural minor.
b3 b6 7 is harmonic minor.
Quote by TheShred201
pointed this out in another thread, its AEOLIAN not AERLIAN. O, not R. If he puts in Aerlian, he'll get nothing.

I'm thinking he says it all on purpose...
It's a good thing to know there's breathing spell checkers still avliable and
on duty

if you can't figure it out even if i write it like this "ALOIAEN"....it means you
have brain damage...not becuase of your iq.lol
Last edited by Ordinary at Jun 12, 2008,
Quote by TheShred201
Well, if you tell someone to search for something that they don't know about, it's kind of important to spell it correctly. ESPECIALLY when the day before you were informed that you were spelling it wrong when trying to teach someone else about it.

He's been doing this for a while now, actually.
I wouldn't go that far....though there is an empty "retard box" in the who to listen to thread...

Ordinary, regarding to your edit--OBVIOUSLY I CAN FIGURE IT OUT. How would I have corrected you if I couldn't tell what you were trying to write. HOWEVER when you are TEACHING it to people who DON'T KNOW what AEOLIAN is, they will NOT figure it out.

1. For the signature, I used it because it works together with the two posts taken from the same thread. I didn't feel like looking to your other threads.

2. Misspelling isn't the only misinformation, etc. that you have posted. If you only couldn't spell people wouldn't care. Also, the fact that you seem to have no interest in trying to fix errors that you routinely make that people point out to you gives the idea that you have an apathetic attitude to the whole situation, whereas people are more likely to try to be nice to and help people who get things wrong but accept the help given to them.

3. It's been a long time since I've done anything pertaining to melodic minor, but if I remember correctly, the reason when descending that you play 8, b7, b6, 5, 4, b3, 2, 1 is that when you descend you don't play melodic minor at all. you play natural minor. I may be mistaken in which case I apologize, but that is how I remember it.

And also, where have I ever swore up an down that something didn't exist. If you can find an example of me doing this, please let me know so I can change my password since someone hacked my account.
Last edited by TheShred201 at Jun 12, 2008,
You want me ban becuase of some stupid piont or argument you want to make.
Something about the natral minor and aeolian.

All i wrote was some people know the 1,2,b3,4,5,b6,b7 as either or.
Also the melodic minor decending has the same interval.
You swear up and down and state that it dosn't exist.

So you resort to my miss spelling or your stupid signature.
And go into a long argument taking things out of context.

i don't expect much from kiddies.
Quote by Avedas
b3 6 7 is melodic minor.

b3 b6 b7 is natural minor.
b3 b6 7 is harmonic minor.

Typo..
Quote by TheShred201
No typo, he got it correct.

Melodic Minor is 1, 2, b3, 4, 5, 6, 7. Thus b3, 6, 7.
Natural minor is 1, 2, b3, 4, 5, b6, b7. Thus, b3, b6, b7.
Harmonic Minor is 1, 2, b3, 4, 5, b6, 7. Thus b3, b6, 7.

He got it all correct.

He said that he typo'd, which he did.
see....it's stupid.

some people , if they want to get up into other's arss.
Will argu til the sky trun red....b3,b6,b7 is not natural minor..thus not connecting
the dots and take it out of that context from the way that was written and
make an assumtion with the incomplete interval

example .... the phrygian 1,b2,b3,4,5,b6,b7 also have b3,b6,b7
Quote by Ordinary
see....it's stupid.

some people , if they want to get up into other's arss.
Will argu til the sky trun red....b3,b6,b7 is not natural minor..thus not connecting
the dots and take it out of that context from the way that was written and
make an assumtion with the incomplete interval

example .... the phrygian 1,b2,b3,4,5,b6,b7 also have b3,b6,b7

But you're taking it farther than needed. I already stated that b3 was minor, in any case. You need to calm down.
yes...i understand that becuase i'm a very understanding person.lol

It's the same when I wrote that the aeolian and natural minor has the same interval.
I never mention anything about progressions or playing in a minor key or whatever
the hell else.

which comes back to this thread about the term the minor scale.
lets say, if a person say they need help with playing a minor scale,
the assumption would be that person is talking about the natural minor,
even thou there's different minor scales.
Quote by jimithrash
hey guys

i was on http://www.all-guitar-chords.com/guitar_scales.php looking for the e minor scale and to my surprise i couldn't find it. so i checked out the natural pure minor scale and that was the minor scale!

why cant it just be called the minor scale? just curious... thanks

Just a note on that website, it is a site i always recommend for people to find chords/scales, however some of the scale nomenclature often leaves a little to be desired. I think you have a fair example as calling it Natural Minor would be sufficient, but it has Pure in brackets as it may be called that in some circles.

I have come accross a couple of errors on that page for the more advanced scales and you could always cross check the information somewhere else
1. I appreciate you using the proper spelling of aeolian.
2. No one on this thread was arguing that aeolian and natural minor don't have the same notes.
3. Back to this thread , they were asking why it is called natural minor, not just minor. The answor here is to differentiate it from Harmonic and Melodic Minor. Then, the discussion was of what those are.
thanks a lot guys, just wanted 2 know if iwas looking at the right scale, cheers
Quote by TheShred201
The answor here
Is English your first language? I'm not the type to be anal retentive about spelling, but you seem to be. It's very likely that Ordinary's native language doesn't use characters even close to English letters, yet you pounce on him as soon as he incorrectly spells an obscure word. "Answer" is used far more commonly than "Aeolian", yet you spelled it incorrectly. Have you never read or been taught how to spell 'answer'?

There's a word I'm thinking of, starts with 'h'...
My name is Andy
Quote by MudMartin
Only looking at music as math and theory, is like only looking at the love of your life as flesh and bone.

Swinging to the rhythm of the New World Order,
Counting bodies like sheep to the rhythm of the war drums
Quote by Goblumich07
because there's many forms of minor scales (harmonic, melodic, etc.)
Quote by TheShred201
But speaking solely of the differences between Natural, Harmonic, and Melodic Minor, Those are the three notes that Differentiate them
Your both wrong. When writing in minor keys you must use ALL THREE. You use elements of each in different circumstances, you dont restrict yourself.
The only time that you restrict yourself to only one of these scales is if your playing modally, and I dont feel like discusing that tonight.

And stop tearing strips of ordinary. And aenimus, stop eating the noobs and calling them hypocrites. I came to this forum to get away from the idiots that frequent my high school each day. Always trying to have the bigger penis by "pwning" the other.
was just browsing this thread cause the answer interested me, and have to say demoofthenight well played sir.
okay...okay
I do admit, my spelling is not the greatest and my grammer is out of this world.

Anyway, you're going to have to explain that to me again..(maybe some other night)
I caught it the other day on another thread but I can't find it anymore.
You mentioned something about the 7th or b7th or not using it an an extension
of a chord. Something about not being restricted as you mention.
I would really like to comprehend on how that works.
I'm clueless on that

I have a book..but it dosn't go into details of how to use elements of
veriouse minor scales. It only designate the V chord as a possiable
link, but shows V7.
Quote by Ordinary
okay...okay
I do admit, my spelling is not the greatest and my grammer is out of this world.

Anyway, you're going to have to explain that to me again..(maybe some other night)
I caught it the other day on another thread but I can't find it anymore.
You mentioned something about the 7th or b7th or not using it an an extension
of a chord. Something about not being restricted as you mention.
I would really like to comprehend on how that works.
I'm clueless on that
Please ask questions. And could the regulars and random theory nerds and grammar nazi's point out undisputable mistakes. I'm trying to save a list of posts on my computer for reposting.

-------------------------------
How do I use the minor scale?
-------------------------------
To say that you must play the melodic minor one way ascending and another way descending isnt entirely correct.

First off, to resolve whilst writing minor melodies, you probably should use the major seventh as it resolves really well to the root just about a semitone about it.

If your moving from above the root to the a seventh just below the root, and you want to resolve the melody, you probably should play a major seventh (meaning harmonic minor) instead of a minor seventh. This produces a strong resolution to the root.

If you want to hit that major seventh (so you can resolve to the root) without moving from above the root (so you can move upwards in pitch, not downwards), you probably should use a Major sixth instead of a minor sixth. This is because the augmented second (same as a minor third) step the minor sixth creates with the major seventh is dissonant.

If you dont want to resolve your melody, you should use the minor seventh, as it doesnt resolve as easy.

If you want to play perfect fifth, try to use a minor sixth instead of a major sixth as the minor sixth leads better to the perfect fifth.

If you want to sound eastern, try to play that minor sixth note before or after that major seventh note. For the best effect, dont play a root note and keep that dissonance hanging.

This is why many people consider writing in minor keys more difficult than major keys. The only note out of key note in major melodies that I would use regularly is the #4, as it moves really well to the perfect fifth (which can act like a second root; therefore resolving your melodies)
And aenimus, stop eating the noobs and calling them hypocrites.
Hey, if the shoe fits. And I hate the whole concept of 'pwning'. I don't even know how to say that. By the way, I'm drunk at the moment.

I just want people to think, 'hey, ordinary is actually a really good guitarist, maybe what he says is at least worth considering, rather than dismissing instantly'.
My name is Andy
Quote by MudMartin
Only looking at music as math and theory, is like only looking at the love of your life as flesh and bone.

also, Shred101 isn't a noob.
I really hope so, judging by the gear he's got! Nice stuff.
My name is Andy
Quote by MudMartin

When writing in minor keys you must use ALL THREE.

You most certainly "must" not. Personally, I despise the sound of a V7 chord in a minor key, and go to great lengths to avoid it. Same goes for harmonic minor in general. I'm quite a big fan of melodic minor, but it's very rare that I find (or create) an opportunity to actually use it.
Someones knowledge of guitar companies spelling determines what amps you can own. Really smart people can own things like Framus because they sound like they might be spelled with a "y" but they aren't.
Quote by Avedas
It is just called the minor scale, conventionally.

I think (though i'm not 100% certain) that in a classical context if you said minor people would assume it was the harmonic minor because it is used so much more.
Page 1 of 2