Its pretty good to play with a bassist who does a lot of lead work. The bassist in my band at the moment is pretty much a classical guitarist, and plays a six string bass tuned like a guitar, using tremolo and finger picking techniques which sound amazing..

BUT, whenever he plays higher that the B on the E string (an octave higher than the low B), there seems to be a big hole in the low end from 30hz to 100hz..

Anyone got any opinions on what a bass player should do? I haven't encountered this before, and am not sure if I should tell him he needs to hold the low end more instead of lead playing...
Quote by StraightxXxEdge
Two bassists!

And play Big Bottom!

I was an Internet Witness in the mike.h Murder Case.
Quote by Pauldapro
this man is right. everything he says is right. so, stop killing people and get therapy ffs
Tell him he cant do lead stuff all the time. You have to have rhythms sometimes man
Originally posted by primusfan
When you crank up the gain to 10 and switch to the lead channel, it actually sounds like you are unjustifiably bombing an innocent foreign land.

╠═══════╬═══════╣
τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ
╠═══════╬═══════╣
Quote by StraightxXxEdge
You need at least three to do that classic justice.

Then he should get an octaver....

I was an Internet Witness in the mike.h Murder Case.
Quote by Pauldapro
this man is right. everything he says is right. so, stop killing people and get therapy ffs
In between those high notes, have him pedaling on some low-end root (or whatever else) notes. Take note of this piece by John Myung:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nhAGR95WG5c

Of course, Myung is using open notes to fill the low end. There are many songs and situations in which open notes won't do. For those cases he will need to find his own solution. I would suggest he try something that involves tapping. Also, you implied he's been classically trained as a guitarist; he could probably take advantage of his knowledge of chord formations to find a way to fill the bassist's sonar position while playing melodically.
Quote by StraightxXxEdge
You need at least three to do that classic justice.

Um yeah or he can frigging rock out the double twelve string bass