Page 1 of 2
Hello, I was wondering how to achieve INSANE amounts of gain, without buying a new guitar or amp... Im not talking about heavy, I'm looking for something to make every palm muted E to sound like an explosion.

Please help.
GET A MARSHALL MG..THE OVERDRIVE IS SLAMMING!!!!!111oneoneone.

Seriously, there are so many options to choose from..what bands do you listen to?
Gibson Les Paul Custom
Fender American Tele

F/S:
Orange Rockerverb 50
Orange PPC412
tune your guitar lower to get lower sounding, more ominous notes. a lot of death metal bands play in D, C, and even B standard.

make sure to have the right guage strings and if you need to adjust your truss rod do it.

EDIT:
also really a lot of the heavy distortion comes from really good pickups (EMGs or just good Dimarzios or Seymour Duncans, or even some lesser-known brands as well) or really good amps with great gain settings. you might be able to get it to sound kinda heavy without those (or without a good distortion pedal ran through the clean channel) but thats how you'll get the best Distortion tone. Why do you think the best bands pay big bucks to have great equipment unless they needed it for great distortion tone?

Quote by The Virtuoso
Yes, you sir win the internet!

Quote by saphrax
To put it crudely, every hole is a goal.

Last edited by bootyguard at Jun 12, 2008,
I have a schecter damien 6 with emg 81/85.

And Crate 100w head/cab flexwave
Quote by dcdossett65
GET A MARSHALL MG..THE OVERDRIVE IS SLAMMING!!!!!111oneoneone.

Seriously, there are so many options to choose from..what bands do you listen to?

Pantera, metallica, slayer, iron maiden, anthrax.
Hmm..a 5150/6505 combo or head cover that kind of stuff pretty good. Although for metallica, slayer, iron maiden..id get a marshall jcm 800 or something..for that old school thrasy sound.
Gibson Les Paul Custom
Fender American Tele

F/S:
Orange Rockerverb 50
Orange PPC412
Quote by dlmebag
Pantera, metallica, slayer, iron maiden, anthrax.

you shouldn't need to downtune for those. Get a distortion pedal if yours isn't cutting it. I personally use the Line-6 Uber-Metal (I don't like line-6 amps but they make pretty good pedals), set it to pulverize (the 2nd setting, which sounds most like thrash, the 1st setting is "metal" and sounds good for iron maiden and classic more bluesy sounding metal, and "insane" is better for either nu-metal or maybe death metal if you get it at the right settings. it has 3-band eq (treb, mid, bass) as well as a scoop so u can scoop some of those mids to get that metallica tone. You deffinetely won't sound completely like the band but its a pretty cheap step up without buying a new amp. I'd say try one in a store first through an amp thats the same as yours or pretty similar in price range and see if it gets better distortion or worst than your amp. if yes then buy it, if no, then look at other brands or start saving up for a really good amp.

Quote by The Virtuoso
Yes, you sir win the internet!

Quote by saphrax
To put it crudely, every hole is a goal.

the only thing is to get a tube (almost anything is good for it) get 2 EQ pedals, turn the volume on 12 an you have an issane amount of gain. You dont need a high gain tube amp... a Use a laney Klipp, its a "clean amp, but when i turn the volume to the max its get"ANGRY" .. and the teo EQ pedals give +60db gain.
Boss MT-2 + Line 6 Ubermetal + 10-Band EQ set to max on everything + Distortion Channel on amp = Explosions on palm mutes
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
Quote by MatrixClaw
Boss MT-2 + Line 6 Ubermetal + 10-Band EQ set to max on everything + Distortion Channel on amp = Explosions on palm mutes

No, No, No, that way you get onéy buzz and noise...
There's a distortion pedal called The Landmine you might be interested in...
Do YOU know who Les Paul is?

Guitars:
-Epiphone Dot Studio
Amps:
-Fender Stage 112 SE
Effects:
-BBE Soul Vibe
-Boss OD-1 Overdrive
-Ibanez DE-7 Delay
Full bass. There's more to it than that, but I can't be bothered thinking about it right now.
Quote by TheEmoStrangler
sacrifice a virgin to Satan

Or plug your guitar straight into Satan's asshole.

Or you can get a Soldano SLO100, seeing as you didn't state a budget.
I agree with using an EQ pedal. I have an MXR 6 band EQ and run it through the effects loop on my marshall 8100 and it transforms the sound. I get a lot of compliments on how heavy my sound is and I always would pickup the EQ and tell them that this is my key.
i'd say get a solid state amp (a good one, mind) and a compressor. gain won't help you out much. If you set the compressor right, you'll get a really hard attack to the sound, and long sustain. if you flood the signal with ridiculous amounts of gain, it tends to make your guitar sound like an angry pig rolling in the mud, and thats a bad thing.
I like analogue Solid State amps that make no effort to be "tube-like", and I'm proud of it...

...A little too proud, to be honest.
where do you live? I have an ubermetal for sale, ****in awsome sounding metal distortion, just not quite what I wanted. Its been used 3 times, is unmarked like new and boxed.... yours for £40

peace

G
Cursed to one day crash and burn because we fly so god damn high.
Bogner Uberschall / Diezel VH-4 / Soldano SLO100 / Engl SE in order of heavyness
Jackson KV 2, Jackson COW 7 (both in B), Jackson Demmelition V
Bogner Überschall (blue rev)
Marshall 1960B Vintage (2x V30 & 2x G12T75)
TC Electronic G Major
BBE Sonic Maximizer 422A
Weber Mass 150w
ISP ProRackG
T.Racks Dinopower
It shouldn't be your equipment as much as the settings on your amp. Try changing the setting to around 9 bass, 2 middle, 8 treble. Tell me if this works.
Pinch Harmonics are all about luck. The more you practice them, the luckier you get.
Crate Flexwave has that kind of gain.
I got some good guitars, yo.
He don't want buying new guitar or amp ,he is asking to improve his correct tone

so at first don't turn Ur gain on 10 (it will kill Ur dynamic). Some people are using high output pickups and alot of pedals ,and they don't have these really heavy sound(they put more and more gain and more is somrthing like less ,now on my ENGL I have gain=7 and I'm playing Hatesphere stuff) .Put some more bass and gain on 7-8 (half past 2) and than imprortant thing is Ur RIGHT HAND!!! It should help ,just practice right hand and make those setup.

Wish I help U

sory for my English
Greetings!
Last edited by Musza at Jun 12, 2008,
well for heavy gain, like people say a badass highgain amp will solve your problems.

But if your using a lower end tube amp or something, an OD pedal ontop of a gain channel can push it pretty far.

But as for the palm mutes, I have a boss GE-7 equalizer in my effects loop. And a booster bass and some mids can really help to bring out crunchy palm mutes
-------------------------------
Faded Gibson SG Special - Black ice mod
Seymour Duncan SH-5 in bridge
B-52 AT 112
Ted Weber Mass100 attenuator
EHX Small Clone
EHX Metal Muff
DIY Modded tubescreamer
Dunlop 535Q Wah
Wax Potting tutorial
Quote by ICANSEEYOU7687
some mids can really help to bring out crunchy palm mutes

That's a myth :P

Devin Townsend has one of the crunchiest tones I've ever heard yet he completely scoops his mids.
Quote by MatrixClaw

very true

Quote by HUNYeti
No, No, No, that way you get onéy buzz and noise...

you can't sense sarcasm too well can you?
Guitar:
Schecter Omen 6 (Dimarzio X2N & Tone Zone)
Amps:
Engl Fireball
Genz Benz G-Flex 2x12 Cab
I wasn't saying that you can't get crunchy palm mutes with only mids. But personally I like the sound it gives with some boosted mids.

But you can definately alter the way palm mutes sound with an eq pedal. But like i said i didn't mean you had to adjust your eq to get crunch pm... lol thought i would clarify
-------------------------------
Faded Gibson SG Special - Black ice mod
Seymour Duncan SH-5 in bridge
B-52 AT 112
Ted Weber Mass100 attenuator
EHX Small Clone
EHX Metal Muff
DIY Modded tubescreamer
Dunlop 535Q Wah
Wax Potting tutorial
Insane amounts of gain with out getting an amp.. Protone Body Rot Pedal

Best route is getting a tube amp like a Diezel Herbert, Engl powerball/fireball, 5150/6505 and so on and so on.......
do you really suck that bad?
trying to hide your playing in distortion is only going to make it sound worse

also the correct term is "tha br00talz"

Br00tal palm-mutes are for suckers.
Quote by imgooley
Or plug your guitar straight into Satan's asshole.

that actually made me laugh
Guitars:

Fender Mexican HSS Strat (Sunburst, Maple Neck)
- /w custom handwound John Mayer pickups - thx cord!

Amp:
Hughes & Kettner Matrix 100 Combo (practice amp)
Fender '73 Twin Reverb (main amp)

boss bd-2 (keeley modded)
Quote by dlmebag
I have a schecter damien 6 with emg 81/85.

And Crate 100w head/cab flexwave

If you can't get that kind of gain from a flexwave's hi-gain channel, then it looks like you need to put a metal muff in front of it, whilst the high gain is on. If you don't get what you're looking for, try 5, if that isn't satisfying, you shouldn't play guitar.
I got some good guitars, yo.
Seymour Duncan twin tube mayhem pedal is supposed to give insane levels of gain.
Firefly > You

Trumpet Alliance
get this awesome pedal made in hell!!!

DIGITECH DEATH METAL pedal
Ihave a LP with EMG 81/85, like yourself, and I just did the 18v mod tonight and it made a very big improvement on sound. It was very cheap like $1.69 for the part and another 9v battery. I just read about it last night and I had to try it and what a difference it made
Page 1 of 2