Welp I'm sure there's been countless threads on this but I didn't see any lessons and when I searched nothing came up ( didn't know what to search ). Can anyone give me any exercises that could help me with this? Here's an example of what I mean if the " sweep tapping " wasn't specific enough...

http://youtube.com/watch?v=cp7CDSrvzKo
That is insane but I don't think I should start off with something like that.
start off by useing just triads. play the sweeped chord in different invertions and tap the next not up in the triad.

next start adding in the 7th and other extentions.

after you get use to that try tap slideing and linking them into a progression.
Quote by TheShred201
Just start by taking a basic sweep shape you know, then find an interval above the highest note that fits into the arpeggio you are doing and tap it.

PS. Necrophagist has lots of sweep tapping you could try.

The Ultimate Guitar Pro Exercise thread was a lot of help! Where are the Necrophagist exercises?
Quote by TheShred201
If you want to, either today or tomorrow I'll make you a necrophagist sweep tapping Guitar pro.

If you could do that I would appreciate it a lot and would definitely use it! But don't do it if you don't want to.
e|----------10-14-19-14-10----------------------------------
B|--------12--------------12----------------------------------
G|------11------------------11-------------------------------
D|----12----------------------12----------------------------
A|--14--------------------------14--------------------------
E|-------------------------------------------------------------------------

That helped. with the 19 tapped.
Last edited by Seef at Jun 13, 2008,

----------------12-17-20-17-12----------------
-------------13----------------13-------------
----------14---------------------14-----------
--------14--------------------------14--------
--12-15--------------------------------15-12--
----------------------------------------------

tap the 20

"The mind is its own place, and in itself

Can make a Heav'n of Hell, a Hell of Heav'n"

- John Milton, Paradise Lost
As you can see, just sweep up anything, tap anything and its a sweep and tap exercise. I have a few more interesting ones that i'll stick in the ultimate exercises thread sometime.
Quote by metallicafan616

----------------12-17-20-17-12----------------
-------------13----------------13-------------
----------14---------------------14-----------
--------14--------------------------14--------
--12-15--------------------------------15-12--
----------------------------------------------

tap the 20

I'm horrible at the hammer on before the sweep and if it goes on the same fret twice like the 14 that usually trips me up so I'll work on that!
Necrophagist has the coolest solos... EVER... I love em.

Not a fan of the deep growling though.
take a look at the vinnie moore song - meltdown
has some nice licks with tapping. and it rox : D
Quote by RCalisto
take a look at the vinnie moore song - meltdown
has some nice licks with tapping. and it rox : D

I will for sure!
Any tips for how to mute the stings after you pick them while sweeping? I can sweep fine but once I lift my finger up off the A and D string they ring a lot.

EDIT - And Meltdown is awesome! I'm trying to get that little lick at about 1:20 but I don't get the tapping before the sweep? Is it all left handed tapped cept for 2 notes?
Last edited by Seef at Jun 14, 2008,
you will get it right eventually. it's just a natural thing, there's no secret behind it. it's not like palm muting or anything, it's all in the left hand, so once you get the hang of it it wont sound so.. not clean :P
but yeah you're probably trying it too quick for your current skills. play it a little slower, at a speed at which it is clean. and slightly increase tempo as your skill increases

edit:
which lick are you talking about?

check out my tab and tell me the bar
Last edited by RCalisto at Jun 14, 2008,
Quote by RCalisto
you will get it right eventually. it's just a natural thing, there's no secret behind it. it's not like palm muting or anything, it's all in the left hand, so once you get the hang of it it wont sound so.. not clean :P
but yeah you're probably trying it too quick for your current skills. play it a little slower, at a speed at which it is clean. and slightly increase tempo as your skill increases

edit:
which lick are you talking about?

check out my tab and tell me the bar

19 and 20... I don't know how to go about playing 19.
i tap that entire bar. i find it easier that way. takes too long getting the picking hand back to its place between the two taps.