Page 1 of 2
I'm in the market for an American standard Stratocaster. I want to play classic rock, blues and some of the more modern rock. My question is which Start should I get? The standard 3 single-coil pickups or the HSS version with 2 Tex-Mex single-coil pickups and 1 humbucker? They are the same price. Is there any difference between them besides the pickups?
1)none
2)neither
3)i dont know but dont get it
Quote by aig91
"It doesn't get much beter than that! Ok, maybe a free ibanez guitar and marshall half-stack in perfect condition would be better, but free pancakes comes right behind that"

Quote by neptune1988
"My tone should be like me........FAT! "
I would say that the three single coils gets you that more traditional bell strat tone. If you want to play any modern rock at all or even classic rock, definitely get the HSS. You still have the single coils for anything you would have wanted with the SSS, but you get more of an edge if you select the humbucker, and can get some darker tones. The HSS is just much more versatile.
Maybe you should consider a G&L Legacy as well? Easily at or above Fender quality, and one could call it the natural progression of the Stratocaster (since Leo Fender himself designed the Legacy).

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/GL-Legacy-Electric-Guitar-with-Tinted-Maple-Neck?sku=511302
Do YOU know who Les Paul is?

Guitars:
-Epiphone Dot Studio
Amps:
-Fender Stage 112 SE
Effects:
-BBE Soul Vibe
-Boss OD-1 Overdrive
-Ibanez DE-7 Delay
Last edited by Wulver at Jun 12, 2008,
Quote by albinokrikit
1)none
2)neither
3)i dont know but dont get it

WTF?

You've been around this long and that's all you got? Go back to the Pit or where ever you crawled out from.

Congrats on decision to get an American Standard Strat. As you know the Strat can do everything from County to Jazz to Blues to Classic Rock to Rock to Metal to Thrash to Nu Metal.

imo - latter half of those styles get the HSS
imo - former half of those styles get the SSS

either way, a HSS can be 'split coiled' to give you a single coil at Bridge. easy mod.

my first post got frozen by Vista or UG or the Internet so i'm stopping now.

any questions?
Last edited by 311ZOSOVHJH at Jun 12, 2008,
Quote by Wulver
Maybe you should consider a G&L Legacy as well? Easily at or above Fender quality, and one could call it the natural progression of the Stratocaster (since Leo Fender himself designed the Legacy).

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/GL-Legacy-Electric-Guitar-with-Tinted-Maple-Neck?sku=511302

But a Legacy will never be a fender because a fender will always be a fender + no one likes fender Copy's xD (well i dont)

i say HSS.
Quote by 666_Pounder
If you don't have enough for tube get a Roland Cube.

Equipment:
Fender Squire Fat Strat Affinity series
Some cheap amp....
Quote by True Dreams
But a Legacy will never be a fender because a fender will always be a fender + no one likes fender Copy's xD (well i dont)

i say HSS.

Thats just pure ignorance.
i have played a standard SSS MIA strat with texas specials pups for years. love it, all the classic strat clean tones and plenty of balls for rock tones if i use gain on the amp or (preferably) a distortion pedal.

i recently bought a MIA deluxe strat HSS, i find that it has all of the qualities of my old strat plus the humbucker features. S1 switching is also worth having, it gives some extra tonal qualities through parallel wiring.
I've been imitated so well I've heard people copy my mistakes.
- Jimi Hendrix
I an 08 MIA Standard. Get it, because honestly it rocks. Either configuration works, with the HSS adding slightly more of an option to customize your sound. I wouldn't trade mine for anything.
Thanks for all the input everybody. It sounds like the HSS is the way to go. I just wished they had more color options. I've never really been a sunburst fan. I really like the Olympic White color that's available in the SSS model. But, I guess color is secondary to sound. What about the J5 Triple Telecastor with 3 humbuckers? Or would that be overkill?
Buy the Fender 50s Classic Players Start, about $700, maple neck, vintage pickups.
Quote by chip46
"I'm discontinuing production on the Timmy now as well. It might come back into production at some point down the road, but probably not because people will just clone it anyway cause they're stupid jerk face doo doo heads. -Paul C."
Quote by lespaul#1
Buy the Fender 50s Classic Players Start, about $700, maple neck, vintage pickups.

He wants an American.
I used to own an American Deluxe Stratocaster - Wilkson Nut, Locking Tuners, Fender Lace Gold Sensors, HipShot Tremsetter and the nicer (2 pole) tremelo. It was a beaut and while I've been converted to Les Pauls & sold it to my brother, I must say the Strat was still great after owning it over 12 years. MIM won't compare but it's half the price. I don't think you'll be dissapointed by an American Strat one bit.
Moving on.....
If you have the money get the deluxe american it is like 1200 or 1300. More versatile than the standard with the s1 switching. Better workmanship and a roller nut unless they discontiued putting the roller nut on the 08. And get the HSS.
Fender Highway 1 Fat Strat
Fender MIM Standard Strat(EMG SL-20 loaded pickguard)
Gibson Les Paul Special
PRS SE singlecut
Schecter C-1 Classic
Schecter C-1 Hellraiser
Vox Valvetronix AD50-VT
Fender Blues Jr
Roland Cube 30X
Quote by KenG
I used to own an American Deluxe Stratocaster - Wilkson Nut, Locking Tuners, Fender Lace Gold Sensors, HipShot Tremsetter and the nicer (2 pole) tremelo. It was a beaut and while I've been converted to Les Pauls & sold it to my brother, I must say the Strat was still great after owning it over 12 years. MIM won't compare but it's half the price. I don't think you'll be dissapointed by an American Strat one bit.

Eh, I doubt that an MIM "won't compare" The Americans aren't that much better.
Quote by TheProducer
Eh, I doubt that an MIM "won't compare" The Americans aren't that much better.

^clueless
Gibson Les Paul Special
PRS SE singlecut
Schecter C-1 Classic
Schecter C-1 Hellraiser
Vox Valvetronix AD50-VT
Fender Blues Jr
Roland Cube 30X
Quote by anonamooseguy
^clueless

Excuse me? I've played both, and while the American IS better, I said I doubt that an MIM "won't compare". The poster seemed to be implying that an MIM wouldn't last 12 years like an American would.

So before you go name calling, at least back up your statements or shut up. You can't call me clueless without justifying why the Americans are so much better that they make me look stupid.
Quote by True Dreams

i say HSS.

The Legacy is MORE of a Fender than an 08 American Fender is, you know. Leo Fender designed it himself, long after he designed the original Strat.

Instrument designed by Leo Fender > instrument designed by committee based on Fender's original design.

Or, that's how I view it.
Do YOU know who Les Paul is?

Guitars:
-Epiphone Dot Studio
Amps:
-Fender Stage 112 SE
Effects:
-BBE Soul Vibe
-Boss OD-1 Overdrive
-Ibanez DE-7 Delay
Quote by roger33
I'm in the market for an American standard Stratocaster. I want to play classic rock, blues and some of the more modern rock. My question is which Start should I get? The standard 3 single-coil pickups or the HSS version with 2 Tex-Mex single-coil pickups and 1 humbucker? They are the same price. Is there any difference between them besides the pickups?

Shameless advertising, but I think I have what you need here:

https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=883052
I think the HSS would be good for you. For classic rock, you can easily switch to a humbucker, which sounds better for rock since they give some kind of thick sound. Plus you have single coils, which sound good for blues and all that stuff. But the better thing to do is to try 'em out and see what you like.
I will back it up by saying that I have both and have played many others. your statement is from ignorance or lack of knowledge. My MIM is better than my highway 1 for a good reason.

EMG SL20 - 200.00
Locking tuners - 70.00
Fender Roller nut - 60.00
Wilkinson vs100 - 115.00
plekked neck - 100.00
MIM standard - 350

Total - 890.00

Highway 1 - 499.00 (memorial day last year)
Handmade Hum - 70.00
Plekked - 100.00

Total - 670.00

The base body compares but the neck doesn't, fretwork doesn't, Nut doesn't, Tremolo doesn't, Pickups Don't, Wiring and pots Don't.

There is that better?
Gibson Les Paul Special
PRS SE singlecut
Schecter C-1 Classic
Schecter C-1 Hellraiser
Vox Valvetronix AD50-VT
Fender Blues Jr
Roland Cube 30X
Quote by anonamooseguy
I will back it up by saying that I have both and have played many others. your statement is from ignorance or lack of knowledge. My MIM is better than my highway 1 for a good reason.

EMG SL20 - 200.00
Locking tuners - 70.00
Wilkinson vs100 - 115.00
plekked neck - 100.00
MIM standard - 350

Total - 890.00

Handmade Hum - 70.00
Plekked - 100.00

Total - 670.00

The base body compares but the neck doesn't, fretwork doesn't, Nut doesn't, Tremolo doesn't, Pickups Don't, Wiring and pots Don't.

There is that better?

Certainly a lot more useful than being ass. At least you're providing some useful information to someone.
Your original statement had no facts either other than the general statement that they are close. It only deserved a 1 word reply.
Gibson Les Paul Special
PRS SE singlecut
Schecter C-1 Classic
Schecter C-1 Hellraiser
Vox Valvetronix AD50-VT
Fender Blues Jr
Roland Cube 30X
Quote by anonamooseguy

EMG SL20 - 200.00
Locking tuners - 70.00
Wilkinson vs100 - 115.00
plekked neck - 100.00
MIM standard - 350

Total - 890.00

Handmade Hum - 70.00
Plekked - 100.00

Total - 670.00

There is that better?

Wait, speaking of ignorance, what are you even talking about? I was saying that you can't say an MIM Strat "won't compare" to an MIA Strat. Period. I could care less how your MIM compares to your Highway 1.
I am saying it is comparable with an extra 500 put into it. The basics of the guitar as I stated arent even close. Read again.
Gibson Les Paul Special
PRS SE singlecut
Schecter C-1 Classic
Schecter C-1 Hellraiser
Vox Valvetronix AD50-VT
Fender Blues Jr
Roland Cube 30X
Quote by anonamooseguy
I am saying it is comparable with an extra 500 put into it. The basics of the guitar as I stated arent even close. Read again.

We're not talking about your guitar unless you plan on selling it to him. You're comparing your modded MIM to a stock MIM Highway 1, which has nothing to do with anything in this case since he wants an American anyways. I was simply commenting that an MIM is still a well-built guitar. The poster seemed to imply that an MIM wouldn't last 12 years like a MIA. It's probably not what he meant, but I just wanted to clear that up.

Also, "clueless" is not an answer. It's an attack on me and not my opinions. Go learn how to have a proper argument before you get all smug. And for the record, none of this even applies to the TS question, so if you think you're being helpful, you're not.
It seems I am the only one that has put forth any facts whatsoever, My point was and still is that you have to more than double the cost of a MIM to get the quality of an american. The highway 1 is the cheapest american made strat. The quality of my MIM is that of an american standard with is 999.00 but I have 900 in it basicly. How you contrue that to mean I am stating that stock MIM is "close" or "better" than a stock american is beyond me. Now state your case on how they are "close" in quality. I am still waiting for those facts to be presented.

You still seem clueless because instead of backing up your original dumbass, uneducated, off-based, clueless statement. Don't tell someone that MIA and MIM are close in quality because that is wrong and might send him to got get a 350 dollar MIM strat thinking he is going to get close to the quality of a 999 dollar american.

So tell me again how are they "close" in quality?
Gibson Les Paul Special
PRS SE singlecut
Schecter C-1 Classic
Schecter C-1 Hellraiser
Vox Valvetronix AD50-VT
Fender Blues Jr
Roland Cube 30X
Quote by anonamooseguy
It seems I am the only one that has put forth any facts whatsoever, My point was and still is that you have to more than double the cost of a MIM to get the quality of an american. The highway 1 is the cheapest american made strat. The quality of my MIM is that of an american standard with is 999.00 but I have 900 in it basicly. How you contrue that to mean I am stating that stock MIM is "close" or "better" than a stock american is beyond me. Now state your case on how they are "close" in quality. I am still waiting for those facts to be presented.

You still seem clueless because instead of backing up your original dumbass, uneducated, off-based, clueless statement. Don't tell someone that MIA and MIM are close in quality because that is wrong and might send him to got get a 350 dollar MIM strat thinking he is going to get close to the quality of a 999 dollar american.

So tell me again how are they "close" in quality?

Okay, quotes are for quoting people. Never would I say that a stock MIM is better than a stock MIA.

And quality =/= features. If you'd stop ranting for a minute and read, you'd realize that I was referring to the BUILD QUALITY. All I was trying to say is that side-by-side, an MIM isn't going to fall apart across 12 years while an MIA holds up. Yes, I'm fully aware that the MIAs are higher quality. I'm also aware that an MIM will not fall apart, so to speak.

And he doesn't even want to know the difference between MIA and MIM, and he'd be the fool for going out and buying something based on one remark in an internet forum. No one cares about your facts unless you've got advice as to whether he should get an SSS or an HSS setup.
lol , done here also.
Gibson Les Paul Special
PRS SE singlecut
Schecter C-1 Classic
Schecter C-1 Hellraiser
Vox Valvetronix AD50-VT
Fender Blues Jr
Roland Cube 30X
Sorry to ofend anyone unintentionally I was simply stating that the ADS I purchased in '93 was still as good as the day I bought it when I sold it to my brother. This is a tribute to workmanship as well as quality of materials used. That was why I stated an American Strat would probably not dissappoint the buyer.
Moving on.....
Quote by TheProducer
Excuse me? I've played both, and while the American IS better, I said I doubt that an MIM "won't compare". The poster seemed to be implying that an MIM wouldn't last 12 years like an American would.

So before you go name calling, at least back up your statements or shut up. You can't call me clueless without justifying why the Americans are so much better that they make me look stupid.

Takes things to personal while still being "clueless". Watch out the terrorists are calling you "clueless" DUCK!
Guitars:
Schecter C-1+ Black Cherry FMT
2008 American Standard Stratocaster Candy Cola

AMPS:
Fender G-DEC
Fender Dyna-touch III Stage 1000
Vox Valvetronix XL AD30VTXL

Pedals:
DOD Supradistortion FX-55B (w/ Boost)
it really comes down to personal taste. With the SSS strat, you sacrafice the versitility of a humbucker for the bell like tones of a bridge single coil. With an HSS, you have more versitility, but you cant replicate that bridge single coil sound. I went with an SSS, and never once regretted it.
Fender Standard American Stratocaster
Boss DS-1
Budda Budwah
Electroharmonix Small Clone
Vox AD50VT
Thanks for all the replys everybody. Sounds like the HSS is the way to go. Now I have to take a look at it vs. the J5 Telecastor. Researching too much makes for too many choices and decisions. That's were forums like this come in handy. Nothing beats real life experiences from other people who know. Once again thanks.
That Legacy headstock is the biggest turn off since fat girls without tops.
The J5 has 1 single-coil and 1 humbucker. I think you are thinking about the J5 Triple. I agree about the headstock, butt ugly.
Page 1 of 2