My guitar is really trebly recently, and I think it might be the cap between ground and the tone pot. Is this possible? It says 2A473K on it. What value do I need? On a Seymour Duncan wiring diagram it says .22k. And finally, how do I read the values? I have one here that says 2A104J on it (tiny bit bigger in size), I'm hoping that will be alright as I can't go into town for a while and pick up another cap.

Cheers!
The number code on caps changes from one company to the next so unless you know the number coad for that company then you need to have a special meter that can read capacitance.

If you want to see if the capacitor is still working take it off your guitar, get a 9 volt battery, a jumper wire with an aligator clip on each side, and a voltage meter. connect 1 side of the cap to the + terminal of the battery with the aligator clips. Connect 1 lead of your voltage meter to the other side of the cap and connect the other lead to the - terminal of the battery. So your meter to read 20 volts or less. Now it will probably let current through for a second or two but then it should level off at under .01 volts. If it reads higher than about .3 volts you need to replace the cap. If it reads less then your cap is fine and you don't need to replace it.
Not taking any online orders.
Number code for value is same in every company - 2A473K is 0.47pF, 104 is 1.00pF Try the 0.22 if it gets less trebly
Last edited by DiXX at Jun 12, 2008,
Yeah it will be good, but you can try other values, depends on taste
Quote by DiXX
Number code for value is same in every company - 2A473K is 0.47pF, 104 is 1.00pF Try the 0.22 if it gets less trebly

I've got several caps with the same number code that are diffent values. I also have the same value caps with different number code. Part of it depends on the country the caps were made in and what country they are meant to be sold in. It isn't always the same.
Not taking any online orders.