well anyways long story short i just bought my peavey classic 30 and i am really psyched about it becausei haven't played guitar in 2 years. so anyways i am buying a guitar on friday but something devastating occurred a few minutes ago. i just got home from work and i couldn't stop thinking about my new c30 so i turned in on just to see the beauty of the tubes glowing. anyways the guy i bought from said that the only thing wrong was that the light bulb from the LED needed to be replaced. but i notice it sort of was blinking, you know like when it seems like it's blown but not quite? well anyways i decided to take it off with the amp on (i should kill myself right about now), and i heard a spark and saw a quick flash and my amp went dead.
i tried unplugging it and plugging it back on but it won't turn on? what happen?
please, someone respond and tell me it's just a fuse that's blown. or did i just destroy my beautiful amp that i never even got the chance to play with?

HELP ME UG!
Quote by metaldud536
...I mean if indians stood naked in front of me, i couldn't tell if they're hispanic or native american. unless they put on clothes

At first he was like...
Quote by Twistedrock
I love you, man. No homo

But then, he was like...
Quote by Twistedrock
I love you even more now. Slightly homo
could be somekinda shortcircuit but I'm no expert :/
Schecter C1 Classic
Fender Vintage -57 Ri Stratocaster
Fender Blues JR w/ 12"Cannabis Rex
Mad Professor Sky Blue OD
Wampler Ego Compressor
TC Electronics Stereo Chorus/Flanger
Could easily just be a blown fuse since you tried to take out the LED with it switched on. Here's how you test the fuse...Wrap it in tin foil and put it back in the amp, if the amp starts to work again you just have a blown fuse, no big deal. Oh and DO NOT use the foil as a long term solution instead of buying a new fuse, this is just meant as a test, if you leave the foil there and don't buy a new fuse you will end up doing much worse damage to the amp
MIA Fender Strat
Yamaha FG-450S
Crafter 12 string
Orange Rocker 30 combo
Vox AC30CC2
Epi Valve Junior
Fulltone Clyde
Danelectro Free Speech
T.C. Electronic Vintage Dual Distortion
Boss MIJ GE-7 (c1987)
Boss TU2
MXR Phase 90
Artec delay
probably but will my amp survive? my heart broke in 2 when i saw the flash and then the glow of the tubes vanish
Quote by metaldud536
...I mean if indians stood naked in front of me, i couldn't tell if they're hispanic or native american. unless they put on clothes

At first he was like...
Quote by Twistedrock
I love you, man. No homo

But then, he was like...
Quote by Twistedrock
Quote by Bossman123
Could easily just be a blown fuse since you tried to take out the LED with it switched on. Here's how you test the fuse...Wrap it in tin foil and put it back in the amp, if the amp starts to work again you just have a blown fuse, no big deal. Oh and DO NOT use the foil as a long term solution instead of buying a new fuse, this is just meant as a test, if you leave the foil there and don't buy a new fuse you will end up doing much worse damage to the amp

and if it's not the fuse?
Quote by metaldud536

At first he was like...
Quote by Twistedrock
I love you, man. No homo

But then, he was like...
Quote by Twistedrock
Quote by SomebodySomeone
and if it's not the fuse?

If it's not the fuse i'm not sure, don't worry though tube amps are very fixable, if you can't get it to work just bring it to an amp tech and he should be able to fix it easily
MIA Fender Strat
Yamaha FG-450S
Crafter 12 string
Orange Rocker 30 combo
Vox AC30CC2
Epi Valve Junior
Fulltone Clyde
Danelectro Free Speech
Boss MIJ GE-7 (c1987)
Boss TU2
MXR Phase 90
Artec delay
Quote by Bossman123
If it's not the fuse i'm not sure, don't worry though tube amps are very fixable, if you can't get it to work just bring it to an amp tech and he should be able to fix it easily

but i heard amps are expensive to fix? or is that just the SS amps?
Quote by metaldud536

At first he was like...
Quote by Twistedrock
I love you, man. No homo

But then, he was like...
Quote by Twistedrock
Quote by SomebodySomeone
but i heard amps are expensive to fix? or is that just the SS amps?

Tube amps are generally easier/cheaper to fix.
Depends on what's wrong with them but generally tube amps aren't that expensive to fix. SS are a nightmare to fix and do tend to cost more
MIA Fender Strat
Yamaha FG-450S
Crafter 12 string
Orange Rocker 30 combo
Vox AC30CC2
Epi Valve Junior
Fulltone Clyde
Danelectro Free Speech
Boss MIJ GE-7 (c1987)
Boss TU2
MXR Phase 90
Artec delay
well thank you for the input. i just couldn't bare the thought that i just killed my amp before i got to give it a try
Quote by metaldud536

At first he was like...
Quote by Twistedrock
I love you, man. No homo

But then, he was like...
Quote by Twistedrock
does anyone know what the fuses look like? and is there anyway to tell if are blown by just looking at them?
Quote by metaldud536

At first he was like...
Quote by Twistedrock
I love you, man. No homo

But then, he was like...
Quote by Twistedrock
Do not do the tin foil thing! The fuse blew for a reason, the tinfoil doesn't blow, and you might destroy the amp for good if there was indeed a short in the circuit (and still is)!

Edit: Now for the longer response. It's possible that it's just a blown fuse, you should check the manual (often it also says what kind of a fuse next to the fuse) to see the rating of the fuse and get an identical one to replace it, and see what happens. If it's a glass tube sort of fuse (the ones in my amp are, or, well, the stock ones aren't, but there are similar ones with glass instead of ceramic in them), you can see if it's blown because it's blackened and the wire is broken inside it.
Quote by Lunchbox362
This thread if fail in almost every way imaniganable.
i'm NOT doing the tinfoil thing. i just want to know if i can replace it my self. there seems tobe 2 long tubes that say "f 1a fuse". 1 looks normal but the other seems to be covered in something white. maybe that one is blown?

EDIT: they are both long rods with one wire running through the middle
Quote by metaldud536

At first he was like...
Quote by Twistedrock
I love you, man. No homo

But then, he was like...
Quote by Twistedrock
How long? Yes, they seem to be the fuses. Is the white covering something ceramic? If so, it's just a different kind of fuse (different brand or something I think, just can't see right away if it's blown or not.
Quote by Lunchbox362
You should be able to safely use tin foil as long as it is only for a few seconds as you might have just crossed a live line with a ground which would cause the fuse to go, but if you have fuses or can get hold of them easily then by all means use a fuse to test it
Last edited by image6 at Jun 12, 2008,
they are both about 1/8 of an inch by and inch long. the white one feels like chalk stick when i run my finger through it
Quote by metaldud536

At first he was like...
Quote by Twistedrock
I love you, man. No homo

But then, he was like...
Quote by Twistedrock
anyways gotta go to work or i'm already late. anyways i would appreciate if people keep posting some helpful replies.
Quote by metaldud536

At first he was like...
Quote by Twistedrock
I love you, man. No homo

But then, he was like...
Quote by Twistedrock
Quote by image6
fuse is a little thing bout 2cm in length, and is tube like with metal end caps. Usually in the plug or on the back of the amp next to where the power cable plugs in. And you usually can't tell by sight as they tend to be ceramic.

What he said. Yep, they are definitely fuses.
Quote by image6
And I must advise you to only flick the amp on for only a few seconds with tin foil wrapped round the fuse, as the fuse is a safety feature that should never be by-passed in this way but *should* be okay for short time periods. And you surely must have come across a fuse before, but then again I could change plugs when I was 10.

I dunno, maybe I'm just overly cautious. But I wouldn't risk anything, if there is indeed a short in the circuit or something.

Edit: Oh btw, you can test the fuses if you have a potentiometer I think it's called? Some sort of a measuring device, it will show if current passes through the fuse. If not, it's blown. But fuses cost practically nothing anyway, so just get new, similar (ratings etc.) ones.
Quote by Lunchbox362
It sounds like you have one ceramic fuse and one glass one. Go buy replacements and try that before you further damage a great amp... Good choice by the way.
This is a pic of the fuses. the white one feels like chalk to the touch. the other one is a glass fuse but it's not blown. the white one, i can't really tell if it's blown or not

the second pic shows the inside of the amp. the red arrow shows where the glass fuse went. the white label you see there reads "F 1A Fuse" while the slot with the blue arrow has a black label that reads "F 10A Fuse", and that's where the white fuse was.

are "F 1A" and "F 10A" the same? cuz as far as i know 5 is the lowest not 1.
other than that there doesn't seem to be anything unusual that i can see.
Attachments:
WebCam_20080613_0000.jpg
WebCam_20080613_0000(1).jpg
Quote by metaldud536

At first he was like...
Quote by Twistedrock
I love you, man. No homo

But then, he was like...
Quote by Twistedrock
I don't think they're the same, check the manual if you can. It could be a typo I guess. But it's a pretty big difference between 1A and 10A.
Quote by Lunchbox362
tube 1, SS 0

worst comes to worst, you tach it to a tech and he fixes it, no dig deal
Get off this damn forum and play your damn guitar.
i'll just buy some fuses after i get paid today(i'll also be buying my RG1570 today ). the glass fuse DOES in fact have "F 1A" written in small print at the end of the cap, while the white one has "F 10A" written on it. so i don't think it's a typo. anyhow i shall try new fuses, hopefully that will fix it. if not, well, time to go to the doctor
Quote by metaldud536

At first he was like...
Quote by Twistedrock
I love you, man. No homo

But then, he was like...
Quote by Twistedrock
well, UG, i just replaced both fuses with identical new ones. my amp will NOT turn on.
somebody please help me. it's not a blown fuse because i just replaced them. what could it be.
anybody? help me!?
Quote by metaldud536

At first he was like...
Quote by Twistedrock
I love you, man. No homo

But then, he was like...
Quote by Twistedrock
Just bring it to a tech bro. It could be one of many things. Go go bring it in to be sure.
Add me or I will eat your kitty!

^Click the heart baby, you know you wanna.^

Quote by Sammythedruggie

touche sir.