And no, i'm not asking for help on the subject...
I'm having an exam in about an hour...

So pit, what would you say to make me relax and feel more comfortable about it?
just take deep breaths and go over your notes one last time so you can be confident you know what you need to know. grab a drink of water, go to the bathroom and just try and relax
from daylight...
...into darkness
Microbiology you say?

I consider myself an expert on the subject; after a day trip to Hull University where I did some this Monday.
Actually it's applied microbiology (had the fundaments last year)... Basicly, it's microorganisms used on fermentation processes, vaccine and antibiotic production, effluent treatmentment, cool stuff
Quote by Deliriumbassist
Applied micro? I did that this year, was fun. Found out that bottled water contains more coliforms than tap water

I still hate MacConkey agar. I f*cking hate making it up. It's a f*cking pain.

ahahah, it's quickly done but yeah, a pain in the arse (most of the time the teacher did it for us, cause almost always we had to make a lot of growth medium )...
Last edited by saty at Jun 12, 2008,
Quote by saty
ahahah, it's quickly done but yeah, a pain in the arse (most of the time the teacher did it for us, cause almost always we had to make a lot of growth medium )...

I bet you got given precast electrophoresis gels as well, you lucky bastard
Quote by Deliriumbassist

yup on genetic engineering

actually we recently made some journeys of work on some professional molecular biology labs (not intern since i'm only a second year) and we made a lot of cool stuff (electrophoresis, protein expression through FPLC, recombinant DNA, sequenciation...)

we should create a biology / science group (if there's not one already).
horse tranquilizers

go keith moon on dat mofo!
Quote by Sir-Shoelace
manliest string guage? barbed wire.

Founder Of the UG Slide Player's Guild, PM me If You're Really Feelin' Dem Blues

THE PIT
"better than your average psychiatrist"
Quote by saty
yup on genetic engineering

actually we recently made some journeys of work on some professional molecular biology labs (not intern since i'm only a second year) and we made a lot of cool stuff (electrophoresis, protein expression through FPLC, recombinant DNA, sequenciation...)

we should create a biology / science group (if there's not one already).

I did a load of that DNA stuff in my first year... whenever the gels were running, that's when it was time to hit the SU bar, lol. Beats the primary research I did a few weeks back for a month on peanut allergens... (protein delipidation, extraction, identification (using chromatography, which was ok...)). If my lecturer uses the stuff I found out for him in his research paper, I want my name on it.
Quote by Deliriumbassist
BIORAD will sell them to you for an arm and a leg, but they're so damned useful and time saving you won't even care.
Quote by Deliriumbassist
I did a load of that DNA stuff in my first year... whenever the gels were running, that's when it was time to hit the SU bar, lol. Beats the primary research I did a few weeks back for a month on peanut allergens... (protein delipidation, extraction, identification (using chromatography, which was ok...)). If my lecturer uses the stuff I found out for him in his research paper, I want my name on it.

Teachers taking advantage from students work... that's be something completely new... /sarcasm

seriously, sounds interesting the peanut thing... part of the works we have done were based on allergens too (some protein which would prevent allergens to work, i think from the Arabidopsis thaliana flower).

but most of the research was about the L-casein from the milk and the genetic regulation mechanisms.

edit:

Quote by freedoms_stain
BIORAD will sell them to you for an arm and a leg, but they're so damned useful and time saving you won't even care.

LOL

our molecular biology teacher showed us this last year...
Quote by Deliriumbassist

oh come on, it doesn't take that long for gels to set, have a cry
from daylight...
...into darkness
Quote by freedoms_stain

It's £7 a gel, IIRC. But then again, I guess making up your own stuff is good practice. We bought the BIORAD reagents in though. F*cking Coomassie Blue...

Quote by divid3d
oh come on, it doesn't take that long for gels to set, have a cry

But making them removes valuable drinking time after the day is done when the gels invariably fail to show anything

EDIT: That PCR song is genius... I'm sending that to a few people
Last edited by Deliriumbassist at Jun 12, 2008,
Nice, glad you liked it... it was kind of awkward watching it in the class since most of the class didn't understand what was going on >_>

btw is the coomassie blue a marker like ethidium bromide? i think we never used it... we always had strict rules manipulating the ethidium bromide cause it's mutagenic as hell <_<
Coomassie Blue is a gel stain. It's a pain in the ass cos you have to add it to acetic acid and glycerol. If you don't dilute the acetic acid enough, it'll explode when in contact with glycerol. So naturally, I was press ganged to do it. Just like when I had to handle the DTT. It's like my work group wants me to get cancer.
Last edited by Deliriumbassist at Jun 12, 2008,
It takes like no time at all for the electrophoresis gel to set.
Maybe a couple of hours? It's not like you have anything better to do
Quote by saty
our molecular biology teacher showed us this last year...

omfg i've gotta send that to my mate from uni
from daylight...
...into darkness
just out of curiosity, do you guys have a degree on what? i'm currently on biotechnology (second year)... it only takes 3 years since the new bologne program kicked in (and yes it sucks...) and i don't know if i'm getting a PhD or masters degree right after it... i think we have something related to biofuels on our school but i'm not really interested...
nice this year opened a biomedic engineering degree close to me... one year sooner and i might had considered taking it, but i'm cool now.
as for the masters degree, i'd be more interested on something about nanotechnology or stem cells... biofuels just seem meh...
i'm halfway through my fourth year of a degree in biotechnology. it was only supposed to be 3 years but i went overseas for a semester and had too much fun
from daylight...
...into darkness
Quote by saty
just out of curiosity, do you guys have a degree on what? i'm currently on biotechnology (second year)... it only takes 3 years since the new bologne program kicked in (and yes it sucks...) and i don't know if i'm getting a PhD or masters degree right after it... i think we have something related to biofuels on our school but i'm not really interested...
In 3 weeks I graduate my undergrad Masters in Molecular and Cellular biology.

Got an upper 2nd class and have no plans for the future...
Quote by divid3d
i'm halfway through my fourth year of a degree in biotechnology. it was only supposed to be 3 years but i went overseas for a semester and had too much fun

i signed myself for erasmus next year (exchange student program) to the czech republic (not overseas since i'm from portugal).
still, hope to get a scholarship for it so i can enjoy the trip with full pockets
for future reference ... cigarettes. the more cigarettes i smoke before a test the better i generally do.
#DTWD