So for this upcoming school year I'm going to be taking out a student loan for college b/c my parents can't afford to put me through school any more. I'm thinking about taking out an extra couple grand and get myself a nice amp. Anybody else done that for gear? I know some loans have stipulations on what you can and cannot buy with the money, but I'm going to be steering away from those anyhow. I figure if I'm going to have to pay off $75,000-100,000 after college anyways, whats a couple grand for an amp going to hurt?

EDIT: my excuse is going to be that I need a good amp to be able to play live and make some extra money, and therefore help pay back the money...haha it's a stretch but I think it has some educational value to it.
Last edited by zhunt1130 at Jun 12, 2008,
Quote by zhunt1130
So for this upcoming school year I'm going to be taking out a student loan for college b/c my parents can't afford to put me through school any more. I'm thinking about taking out an extra couple grand and get myself a nice amp. Anybody else done that for gear? I know some loans have stipulations on what you can and cannot buy with the money, but I'm going to be steering away from those anyhow. I figure if I'm going to have to pay off $75,000-100,000 after college anyways, whats a couple grand for an amp going to hurt?

EDIT: my excuse is going to be that I need a good amp to be able to play live and make some extra money, and therefore help pay back the money...haha it's a stretch but I think it has some educational value to it.

its epic how after uni i have to pay back 15,000 pound (around 30000 dollars)
Quote by the humanity
Captainjack666
the lord of sexyness...
Lulz.

I actually spend my grant money on my current amp and all of my effects. Didn't take out an extra loan though. (and now I'm flat broke and unemployed.)
Haha well I don't qualify for grants b/c my parents don't make enough to pay for college, but yet they make too much money for me to qualify for any federal money. Stupid limbo I'm in. Any money I'd have to pay back later, obviously. I'm pre-pharmacy too so after all that damn school I'll be making $100,000 a year. I dunno, taking out a little more for something I'm going to keep for years just makes sense in my head.
Quote by CaptainJack666
its epic how after uni i have to pay back 15,000 pound (around 30000 dollars)

Immagine the $100,000 I'm going to have to pay back just for undergrad. Pharmacy school is like another $60,000-$75,000.
Well I'm a Chem E major soon to be not a Chem E major. Things change majorly when you get out of the house and on your own for the first time.

Don't take my word for it though.
Quote by imgooley
Well I'm a Chem E major soon to be not a Chem E major. Things change majorly when you get out of the house and on your own for the first time.

Don't take my word for it though.

Oh believe me I know. I got lucky this past year (my 1st) b/c my grandparents paid for my tuition but they can't anymore so I'm on my own. It's sad, I went to GC yesterday and bought some strings. As soon as I walked out the door my friend called me and asked if I wanted to go out to eat with a bunch of people. I was like **** I just spent 6 bucks on strings, now I have to settle for Ramon noodles for dinner instead of a steak.
Quote by zhunt1130
Oh believe me I know. I got lucky this past year (my 1st) b/c my grandparents paid for my tuition but they can't anymore so I'm on my own. It's sad, I went to GC yesterday and bought some strings. As soon as I walked out the door my friend called me and asked if I wanted to go out to eat with a bunch of people. I was like **** I just spent 6 bucks on strings, now I have to settle for Ramon noodles for dinner instead of a steak.

Lulz, I've been eating 1 meal a day for the past 2 weeks, since I paid my rent. Luckily, I have some decent food stored up. But I don't even have money for bread or milk.

Srsly, especially since I'm in Orange County, it so damned expensive. I bought an OD pedal instead of a book this quarter.
Haha well I don't qualify for grants b/c my parents don't make enough to pay for college, but yet they make too much money for me to qualify for any federal money.

That is a weird set up! Makes no sense. I'm australian, feel free to mock my country now.
Quote by zhunt1130

You're doing well to get steak for $6. No wonder America has so many fat people!

In the UK, student loans are never that big so a couple grand extra won't hurt $100,000 I suppose.
Quote by imgooley
Lulz, I've been eating 1 meal a day for the past 2 weeks, since I paid my rent. Luckily, I have some decent food stored up. But I don't even have money for bread or milk.

Srsly, especially since I'm in Orange County, it so damned expensive. I bought an OD pedal instead of a book this quarter.

That's classic. Oh the life of a poor, hungry college student.
Quote by yourdirtysecret
Haha well I don't qualify for grants b/c my parents don't make enough to pay for college, but yet they make too much money for me to qualify for any federal money.

That is a weird set up! Makes no sense. I'm australian, feel free to mock my country now.

It is a weird, asinine setup. The levels don't exactly match.

State colleges ftw.
Quote by yourdirtysecret

I have no room to mock, I'm in the same exact boat as you.
Ever hear the saying dont count your chickens until they hatch. Whats a few extra grand to pay back, yea until its actually time to make those payments on top of car payments, rent etc. And dont be counting on a high paying job straight out of school. You will find life isnt they way its portrayed in movies. And things rarely work as planned.
Quote by Tackleberry
Ever hear the saying dont count your chickens until they hatch. Whats a few extra grand to pay back, yea until its actually time to make those payments on top of car payments, rent etc. And dont be counting on a high paying job straight out of school. You will find life isnt they way its portrayed in movies. And things rarely work as planned.

LISTEN TO HIM! HE IS RIGHT... HE IS LIKE YODA WITHOUT THE GREEN WRIKLES AND HE CANT LIFT **** OUT OF THE WATER BY LOOKING AT IT...
Better, Faster, Stronger

Kansas City Chiefs

Kansas State Wildcats
Quote by airbrendie
Hey guys in the last 3 weeks I ****ed all the girls in this picture, what do you think?

my buddy did that. he added a little bit here and there to his budget that he presented to the bank and ended up with 2800 bucks to buy a downhill bike.

now he's done school, paying off the loan and working a ****ty job putting shelves in vans. probably regretting the whole bike thing....
I once spent $2400 of student loans to buy a truck. Never used it on guitar gear though. But I only have about $6500 total to pay back over the next 10 years. So Im not in too much of a bind. But thats whats great about community colleges. lol
I wouldn't take loan money for school and spend it on an amp. Ever. It's only a couple grand now, but what about in 4 or 5 years when you're done with school? After interest (unless the loan is subsidized of course), the amount you owe back will be much higher. I know you want an amp really badly, but you'll be much better off waiting until you can afford one rather than taking a loan to get one.
Feel free to call me Kyle.

Quote by ibz_bucket
Just so you know, I read everything you type in a Mike Rowe from Dirty Jobs voice.

Quote by tubetime86
I mean in Kyle's case, it is in the best interest of mankind that he impregnate anything that looks at him funny...
Quote by zhunt1130
Haha well I don't qualify for grants b/c my parents don't make enough to pay for college, but yet they make too much money for me to qualify for any federal money. Stupid limbo I'm in. Any money I'd have to pay back later, obviously. I'm pre-pharmacy too so after all that damn school I'll be making $100,000 a year. I dunno, taking out a little more for something I'm going to keep for years just makes sense in my head.

Yeah dude, I'm the exact same way. Pre pharm and all. Though New York State decided to be nice and give me $100 this year. Thats right, one hundred whole dollars. Now as for the remaining 29,900 this year... loans.

But also, being pre-pharm, you can probably get a nice summer job/internship. I'm currently working as a pharm tech in a local hospital making close to $13/hr.
Ibanez Xiphos XPT700
Laney VH100R
Epi Les Paul (SH-1 '59 neck, SH-11 custom custom bridge)
one hundred thousand dollars?!?!?!

christ

erm, imagine in a few years when youre still a few thousand in debt

not worth it IMO
Get off this damn forum and play your damn guitar.
Quote by TNfootballfan62
I wouldn't take loan money for school and spend it on an amp. Ever. It's only a couple grand now, but what about in 4 or 5 years when you're done with school? After interest (unless the loan is subsidized of course), the amount you owe back will be much higher. I know you want an amp really badly, but you'll be much better off waiting until you can afford one rather than taking a loan to get one.

See here's the catch. My mom and I are planning on getting a loan where she pays the interest off before I even start making payments, so the amount of money I borrow will be the amount I pay. AND the place we're looking at the closest only allows certain amounts of money to be borrowed. I'm going to need roughly $23,000 for tuition, rent, food, books etc...but they only allow $20,000 or $25,000 in that particular ranges of loans. Soo...in order for me to get the amount of money I need, I'm probably going to have to get the $25,000 dollar one, leaving me with about $2,000 extra. Maybe for some people $2,000 bucks looks like a down payment on a car, but the guitarist in me sees a Dual Rec w/ a 2x12 lol.

EDIT: and out of college pharmacists in my area start out a $90,000 a year, so the only way I'd be prematurely counting chickens would be if I dropped out of school.
Last edited by zhunt1130 at Jun 12, 2008,
Quote by TNfootballfan62

Subsidized loans ftw.
^^Or you could take the extra $2000 and pay it right back to them to cover that part of your loan before interest starts building on it, saving your mom some money, and you some in the future.

^Agreed.

Quote by ibz_bucket
Just so you know, I read everything you type in a Mike Rowe from Dirty Jobs voice.

Quote by tubetime86
I mean in Kyle's case, it is in the best interest of mankind that he impregnate anything that looks at him funny...
Meh, it doesn't matter anymore to me anyway. I'm going back to sacramento and hitting up community college and then state college. Much cheaper, and much easier to find a job.
Ok heres what you do... Get the loan for 100K then go crazy with it buy 100K worth of gear and dont go to college.... The reason behind the maddness.. We all want to go to college to one day afford 100K in gear.. Skipping college your saving yourself 30 years man.. Who wants to go to college for 10 years and wait 20 more till you you actually make decent enough money to get good gear... Buy it now instead of buying it at 50 is the way to go....

And move to mexico so the government cant touch ya...

Its a win win....
^^Exactly, since you don't qualify for subsidized loans, you really shouldn't get any more money than you need to keep long term cost down (whether it be for you or your mom). If you get the $25,000 loan, i suggest giving every penny you don't need right back to them to pay it off.

Quote by ibz_bucket

Quote by tubetime86