Basically i have an epi Lp custom and my G string didnt stay in tune too well like the day after it would be flat and the others were still bang on. now today my new amp i goin too come (Hopfully) and i tune my G String and it goes flat after a few minutes

Do i need new tuners? and Or is there anything that can help??
Same thing happens to me on my knockoff Les Paul, i will be interested for replys.
GEAR
Legend LP
Nylon Acoustic
Legend 10D Amp
Korg AX3G

flickr
is the intonation correct?
A hero of war, Yeah that's what I'll be

(.)(.)..........(.)(.)..........(.)(.)..........(.)(.)..........(.)(.)..........(.)(.)..........(.)(.)
I've got the same problem, it's not too bad unless it's left alone for too long.
Quote by Alter-Bridge
If I had sex as much as you said the word "shit" I would be paris hilton.

Quote by rworsl
I have never felt closer to either cheese or weasels

Quote by Vermintide

DURN THING DUN GONE MESS UP AGIYAN. MARGE, FETCH ME MAH BOOMSTIYAK
Are these strings old by any chance? The G string just goes out of tune faster than others, but it shouldn't be happening after a few minutes.
Yamaha RGX 520FZ
Squier Affinitys Strat (customized!)
Johnson 620 Player Acoustic

Boss HM3 hyper metal
Boss CH1 super chorus
Zoom G1X

Peavey Valveking Royal 8
New: Peavey JSX Mini Collosal
Mine keeps in perfect pitch.
Maybe you just need to re-string it.
Signatures are overrated.
Yeah it happened to my lp standard get it serviced and get them to change the nut the problem for me now it A LOT better
Yehh Well its not exactly a few minutes but i was happening not seeming too happen as much now iv done it abit and yehh there quite old tbh.Thought that might be the problem but wasnt too sure.
its the b string on my LP copy... Weird... a LP Curse.
Quote by LiBam
...depends ... I sound sh*t nd i'm James Hetfield!

- This is why we Love Ultimate Guitar
It might not be the tuners or the nut. I had the same problem on a few guitars and all of them had two simple problems: Thin strings and bad intonation. If the intonation is just a little off, you will know right away when playing chords, and it will sound out of tune. The thin strings have less tension which makes the strings vibrate wider, making them go out of tune if you hit them too hard (this is very noticeable with the g string!). And if that wasn't enough, the Les Paul has a short scale, making this problem even worse. My solution to this is USE BIGGER STRINGS, I know it's hard to play and your fingers hurt, but it's worth it. Better tone, better kontrol and better intornation/tuning - try it out.
CLICK ME!

Gibson Les Paul Classic '05
JEH Custom Superstrat '07
Rickenbacker 480 '73
Marshall 6100LM head '95
Engl E412SS 4*12" cab '02
Line6 DL-4 '07
Ibanez TS9 '08
Dunlop Crybaby from hell '07
Boss CE-2 '79
Quote by lil-matee
what is a solo?
Well i use 11s so if i used bigger in standard i could warp my neck! XD
If it makes you feel any better, during that concert Metallica did in Nuremburg, Hammet's G string on his Les Paul was flat... almost an F.
Epiphone Les Paul goldtop (EMG 81/85)
Epiphone Les Paul Custom
Fender Telecaster MIM
Epiphone SG Special
Jay Turser JT200 Serpent (GFS Crunchy Rails/Crunchy Pat)
Dean V-Coustic
Ovation Celebrity
Bugera 333-212
Crate Blue Voodoo 120H
1. It could be binding on the nut in which case a better cut slot or nut-lube would help. If when you're tuning the pitch doesn't seem to change right away then suddenly you hear a ping and the pitch changes, it's definitely binding.
2. It could be that your G String tuning peg is loose. This commonly happens asnew guiatrs age and the wood shrinks (other hardware is often affected as well). Lossen off the G string so it's not providing tension on the tuning post and try to move the whole tuner around (not just post because it will move a bit). If the tuner moves, use a nutdriver totighten the Nut on the pegheads face that's holding the tuner.
3. Tuner could be defective and slipping, needing replacement.
4. Muppet may be right and intonation is off but then the string would only be out of tune in certain areas on your fingerboard. It would not explain why when you tune and recheck tuning the same way a few minutes later, it has changed.
Good luck!
Moving on.....
Quote by KenG
1. It could be binding on the nut in which case a better cut slot or nut-lube would help. If when you're tuning the pitch doesn't seem to change right away then suddenly you hear a ping and the pitch changes, it's definitely binding.
2. It could be that your G String tuning peg is loose. This commonly happens asnew guiatrs age and the wood shrinks (other hardware is often affected as well). Lossen off the G string so it's not providing tension on the tuning post and try to move the whole tuner around (not just post because it will move a bit). If the tuner moves, use a nutdriver totighten the Nut on the pegheads face that's holding the tuner.
3. Tuner could be defective and slipping, needing replacement.
4. Muppet may be right and intonation is off but then the string would only be out of tune in certain areas on your fingerboard. It would not explain why when you tune and recheck tuning the same way a few minutes later, it has changed.
Good luck!

+1

If you have 100 bucks get a new graphite nut put on and get some locking tuners and I bet you will be fixed and happy with the epi
Fender Highway 1 Fat Strat
Fender MIM Standard Strat(EMG SL-20 loaded pickguard)
Gibson Les Paul Special
PRS SE singlecut
Schecter C-1 Classic
Schecter C-1 Hellraiser
Vox Valvetronix AD50-VT
Fender Blues Jr
Roland Cube 30X
I think anonamooseguy's suggestion would take care of everything but it may be overkill and extra money spent that you may not need. He may very well be on the money but check out the my advice first before applying the "Nuke it Method" before the "finesse it version". No disrespect to others here but the simplest approach first is often the best.
In my profession it's better to understand why than throw a blanket solution on a problem.
Moving on.....
Last edited by KenG at Jun 12, 2008,