The other day my house was struck by lightning. Our garage door opener motor blew up, and none of the outlets worked in my room, but only because the breaker was tripped. Our PCI chip in the computer blew out, so I lost my internet.

I bought a new PCI chip, and it was pretty easy. It just plugged into an adapter slot.

But now I have a new problem: My sound doesn't work, and it's not my speakers. It's my computer. What do I need to fix it? I thought a sound card was it, but is that also a plug-and-play kind of thing?

Thanks...
Pissed.
Quote by uk.mace
dl drivers. google your soundcard make and model and add 'drivers' on the end

How can I find out my make and model? I can't find the information...
Pissed.
Start > Run > Type "dxdiag" and hit enter > click no on the popup box

wait for a few seconds

Go to the sound tab at the top and it should list the name of the device there
Dude, this EXACT same thing happened to me about three years ago.

I don't know what happened, though...you would be best to just take it in to Geek Squad or something to get fixed.
The.
check your drivers, but if its not doing it since the strike, would prob need a new card.
I've never had that much fun in a lightning storm

My dad has though. When he was a young 'un in the 60s, some ball lightning burst through the window, hovered over the dinner table as they were having dinner, and shot into the nearest telelphone wire, knocking out most of the telephones in the village.
Quote by Deliriumbassist
I've never had that much fun in a lightning storm

My dad has though. When he was a young 'un in the 60s, some ball lightning burst through the window, hovered over the dinner table as they were having dinner, and shot into the nearest telelphone wire, knocking out most of the telephones in the village.

But during dinner I would assume that they were using very metal spoons, forks and knives?
Quote by GuitarHero0715
But during dinner I would assume that they were using very metal spoons, forks and knives?

the telephone wire would have been teh strongest grounding point.
My sis's trailer got hit by a lightning once. It blew all the lit lightbulbs, fried the compressor in the icebox, and blew the tv.
Yeah, downloading drivers isn't the answer here. I'll take it in somewhere. Thanks for the help though.
Pissed.
Pics or it didn't happen, but then again it might have... :stickpoke:
I know now what I knew then, but I didn't know then what I know now
Quote by GuitarHero0715

the telephone wire would have been teh strongest grounding point.
I've seen lightning strike a traffic light once whilst driving down the road with my friends.
:stickpoke