Ok, im finsihing off college and i did a test. I havnt done maths since highschool and i need help.

Could someone calculate.

Simultaneous equations

1) 5x+y=9
8x+2y=30

"The ICT support team will be based in a room measuring 4.5m long by 5.7 metres wide"

1) 11m2 of the floor area will be taken up by work benches, storage shelves etc. What proportion of the room is this"

HARD MOTHER****ER - Simultaneous equations using graphs

y=4x-1
y=-x+4
"Even though I've found God, I still love blow jobs, and I still say fuck." - Dave Mustaine

You know, when you, like, you grab a woman's breast and it's... and you feel it and... it feels like a bag of sand when you're touching it.
Quote by Wardster

"The ICT support team will be based in a room measuring 4.5m long by 5.7 metres wide"

1) 11m2 of the floor area will be taken up by work benches, storage shelves etc. What proportion of the room is this"

Shelves don't count as floor space. Being as you are working in 2 dimensions, I think you should just tell the teacher that it is far too ambiguous to possibly answer.
EDIT: Soz i thought they were separate questions
Last edited by jesus the strat at Jun 12, 2008,
The first equation to solve for y is 5*(30/8 + 2/8*y)+y = 9, solve for y using simple algebra and x is easy to find after that, just plug the numerical value for y into any of the 2 equations.
Schecter C-1 Elite
Gretsch 5120
Fender Ultra-Chorus Amp
And I think x for the last one is 5/3.
Schecter C-1 Elite
Gretsch 5120
Fender Ultra-Chorus Amp
1) y = 9 - 5x
Sub it into the second equation: 8x + 18 - 10x = 30
So x = -6

sub it in to get y = 39

2) 4.5 x 5.7 = 25.65

11/25.65 x 100 = 43%

3) y = y

4x - 1 = x + 4

3x = 5

x = 5/3
3)(1,3)
Quote by chubbychunks
1) y = 9 - 5x
Sub it into the second equation: 8x + 18 - 10x = 30
So x = -6

sub it in to get y = 39

2) 4.5 x 5.7 = 25.65

11/25.65 x 100 = 43%

3) y = y

4x - 1 = x + 4

3x = 5

x = 5/3

last one is -x+4
Rhythm in Jump. Dancing Close to You.

Quote by element4433
Yeah. people, like Lemoninfluence, are hypocrites and should have all their opinions invalidated from here on out.
Quote by jesus the strat
1) a. x=1 and y=4
b. x=3 and y=3

the second one is 14.65m^2

1) actually should be x=-6 and y=39 because x and y have to be the same for both equations.

beat to it.
Current Gear:
ESP LTD MH-250
Ibanez rg470
Peavey ValveKing 112
Blackheart little giant head
2 homemade 112 cabinets
Boss SD-1
Yeah x and y have to be the same.
Schecter C-1 Elite
Gretsch 5120
Fender Ultra-Chorus Amp
Quote by saphrax
Err...if I'm not wrong (which I may be) surely simultaneous equations have the same value for x and y?

Correct. x= -6 and y= 39.
Quote by Dr LeBrun
Yeah x and y have to be the same.

I thought so. It's been years since I finished school, I'd forgotten how to do them.

By the way, to all those in school still:

I have NEVER found a use for these things out side of school. NEVER!
Quote by saphrax
I thought so. It's been years since I finished school, I'd forgotten how to do them.

well you're doing it in college so...

EDIT:nevermind thought you were TS

Quote by element4433
Yeah. people, like Lemoninfluence, are hypocrites and should have all their opinions invalidated from here on out.
Quote by saphrax

Hahaha, I use this stuff every day along with vector calculus and differential equations.
Schecter C-1 Elite
Gretsch 5120
Fender Ultra-Chorus Amp
"HARD MOTHER****ER - Simultaneous equations using graphs

y=4x-1
y=-x+4"

So does anyone know what Y is???
"Even though I've found God, I still love blow jobs, and I still say fuck." - Dave Mustaine

You know, when you, like, you grab a woman's breast and it's... and you feel it and... it feels like a bag of sand when you're touching it.
the do. The asnwer for number on is x= -6 and y=39.

it's not difficult,

5x+y=9, solve for y and we get y=9-5x

substitute for y in the second equation and it reads 8x+2(9-5x)=30

solve for x, then plug your solution into either equation to get y

EDIT: damn beaten to it
Quote by Eminored
Hentai. It's a completely different world that will rip your eye-sockets and and skull-screw you with its tentacles.
Quote by Wardster

y=4x-1
y=-x+4"

I answered that one already

Quote by element4433
Quote by Wardster

y=4x-1
y=-x+4"

Do you not have a graphing calculator, TS? That'd make your life MUCH easier... but this is still quite easy, just set them equal to each other.

-x+4=4x-1
x=1

y=4(1)-1
y=3

...I'm guessing your major has nothing to do with math.
This is year 9 work. I would have though common sense would have solved these...
Warwick freak of the Bass Militia. PM Nutter_101 to join

Quote by elliott FTW
Damn you and Warwickyness

Quote by ScottB
Quote by CLIFF_BURTON
gm jack knows everything
+1
Quote by Dr LeBrun
Hahaha, I use this stuff every day along with vector calculus and differential equations.

Looks at Title....

OK, so mech. engineers (wouldn't it be cool if it was actually a Mech engineer!) need it...

I'm an IT goon though, so I don't!
Quote by gm jack
This is year 9 work. I would have though common sense would have solved these...

yes I mean come on, this is basic maths you should really know.
Quote by wretchedspawn
this is what college math is like? wow im going to college lol soo easy

Actually, university maths is damn tricky, and a lot of it is conceptual. School maths is learning techniques. Uni level is understanding them and teaching you to think in new ways about it.

I suspect TS is doing a non maths related subject, and a bit of maths has come up.
Warwick freak of the Bass Militia. PM Nutter_101 to join

Quote by elliott FTW
Damn you and Warwickyness

Quote by ScottB
Quote by CLIFF_BURTON
gm jack knows everything
+1
Hey, yeh i was in a rush 2 get my maths done because i never went 2 the class and today was the last day to get everything done in every Unit, so i was alone there for 30minutes . Im doing an ICT course so there is a tiny bit of maths involved.

Anyway, THANKS