I might be getting a Squier Jazz Bass cuz I need a new axe but I have no money for a Fender. I know that everyone says the the VMs blow everything else out the water but I have yet to find one. I have only came across the Affinities (not touching those), the Standard series and the California series.

Is the Standard or Cali worth getting? Or should I wait until I start seeing the new Classic Vibes and get THAT jazz instead?
Quote by Demon Wolf
Man, you even got the melody right. +1000000 points.

Quote by Night_Lights
^thats a brilliant call. *jots in notebook*
Well, I had an affinity and it was actually pretty good. Better than most standards I have tried. However, I have also seen some shoddy ones.

I have also tried a VM, and it was definately competing with MIM Fenders.
Warwick freak of the Bass Militia. PM Nutter_101 to join

Quote by elliott FTW
Damn you and Warwickyness

Quote by ScottB
Quote by CLIFF_BURTON
gm jack knows everything
+1
the VM is very good and par if not above the MIM fenders, although cant comment on the CV series apart from sayin that the 60's jazz is gorgeous
Quote by the humanity
Captainjack666
the lord of sexyness...
I've heard the Affinity series is pretty good, if you get a good one. Apparently they are pretty hit and miss on whether you'll get a good one or not.
All your base are belong to us.
Yeah. I already wanna get just lookin' at it. I wonder if it's in the same price range as the Standard...
Quote by Demon Wolf

Quote by Night_Lights
Quote by gm jack

I have also tried a VM, and it was definately competing with MIM Fenders.

And that is the reason everyone recommends a VM. They cost about half a MIM fender but are not half as bad. I think it would take a good bassist to try two basses a MIM and a VM and blindfolded name which is which. Only reason people bash those casue it says Squier and not Fender. I already have a bass in that quality range so my next one will be something like a Lakland or spector or schecter i still need to try them out which i like best.

But the biggest differences (yes it sounds obvious) between the Squiers is type of wood and electronica. These two parts determine for 90% how the bass sounds the other 10% is strings. (roughly estimated)
To Be is to Do -Socrates-
To Do is to Be -Sartre-
Do be do be do -Sinatra
Man. How come I can't find any VMs?? Any news on the Standards?
Quote by Demon Wolf

Quote by Night_Lights
I looked everywhere, and I can barely find any information on the california series. All I could gleam from the information is that it is made of agathis, and I got mixed reports on wether the pickups were stock or not. If you gave us more info on what the cali series is, we could help you, but with all the info I have I reccomend the classic vibe. It supposedly costs the same as the VM, but has a glossed neck, better pickups, and a high mass bridge.

EDIT: Also, try out the aff series, my aff pbass has a neck that competes with high end fenders.
-Instruments-
Squier frankenbass
LTD Deluxe EC-1000 in Vintage Black
1960's Banjuke
Last edited by kranoscorp at Jun 12, 2008,
Im not so sure myself. It's not anywhere on the website. It looks just like a Standard, with same colours but the sticker says California Series. I cant compare prices as one store had one Standard and one store one Cali. I tried them out and they sound the same. It's hard to find basses here. Lotsa guitars though.
And only ONE each in each store. Wtf?

The only difference was that the Standard had the Fender stamp of approval or whatever saying that it was made in Indonesia while the Cali had a piece of cello tape on the neck that said made in china.

The Cali was 385 while the Standard was 300. I live in Singapore so the prices are very different. I found Squiers for Fender price!
Quote by Demon Wolf

Quote by Night_Lights
Last edited by shotbythepope at Jun 12, 2008,
i can't comment on the cali series but the standard series jazz bass that i own will easily blow away most fenders twice it's price
Quote by bassmanjoe08
Dan

Don't stop being you <3

Quote by fatgoogle
I think after this relentless adding for the last 10 mins, that Dan is the coolest looking. Goddamn welsh people and my great etc etc etc etc etc granddad is welsh.
ya the standard series is great but now and again you can come across a crap one and now and again an amazing one i got an amazing one so am happy
honestly i was disappointed by the VM Jazz i played, in fact i wasn't the only one, my cort is worth half what the VM is new and last night at a gig people were choosing my cort over the VM for the sound.

Even the owner of the VM says my cort is just as good if not better.

Just Food for thought....
Gear:
Washburn RB2500 (5 String)
Yamaha BB400 Fretless (1981)
Carlo Giordano 3/4 Upright (White)
Cort Action 4 (Stereo-fied)
Orange Bass Terror 500
Orange 1x15 Cab
Boss GT-6 Bass Multi-effects
that is THE first time i've heard something bad about the VM jazz. Damn!
Today I went to a store that sold second hand and cheap guitars. Half of the store sold Squier strats. Cali series and bullet strats. My guitarist friend tried some Cali strats and he found no difference between the Standard he had tried early on and the Cali. The Calis were cheaper than the bullets.

I heard that Bullets suck ****. The Cali series CONFUSES me.
Quote by Demon Wolf

Quote by Night_Lights
Affinity- Alder Bodies, Standard Electronics and Hardware

Standard- Agathis Bodies, Standard Electronics and Hardware

VM Jazz- Maple Body, Seymour Duncan desgined pick-ups, Standard Hardware

VM Precision- Agathis Body, Seymour Ducan designed Pick-up, Standard Hardware

Classic Vibes- Basswood Body, Seymour Ducan designed pick-ups, HiMass Bridge

Well, there you go. I couldn't find anything about the California Series.
Fenders make me frown.

They used to be good, but all the new ones Ive played have a terrible set up, really fat necks, and bad electrics. And the A string always buzzes at the nut.

Id say go Ibanez. Good build, good feel, dependable, and flexible. Also very thin and very fast necks.
Thanks Cap Insano! I really appreciate that.

Do Bullet Strats really suck? I dunno why Im asking the Bass Forum. I hear that Bullet Strats are really crap. If the strats from the Cali series are cheaper than the Bullets than I'd steer clear of the basses as well.
Quote by Demon Wolf

Quote by Night_Lights
Last edited by shotbythepope at Jun 14, 2008,