So, I recently got my 6-string fretless, and there seems to be a problem with the high C, or at least the way I set it up. It's unlined, so on the side of the neck, there are position markers, and for the third fret marker, they're all fine, except the high C. When I hit that third fret marker, the high C actually plays a D instead of D#. The C is in tune, and it's intonation is correct. This applies to all of the position markers. What is the problem? Yeah, I'm new to the whole six string thang :p
Last edited by kirbyrocknroll at Jun 12, 2008,
Quote by kirbyrocknroll
So, I recently got my 6-string fretless, and there seems to be a problem with the high C, or at least the way I set it up. It's unlined, so on the side of the neck, there are position markers, and for the third fret marker, they're all fine, except the high C. When I hit that third fret marker, the high C actually plays a D instead of D#. The C is in tune, and it's intonation is correct. This applies to all of the position markers. What is the problem? Yeah, I'm new to the whole six string thang :p

That is very weird. I would take it to get setup professionally if I were you.
Proud Owner of a Fender Jazz 24 V

Private Simmons of the Red vs. Blue club. PM Fret13 to join.

Things to come:
Carvin or Trace-elliot rig
EBS Valvedrive (Newest edition )
Fret position markers are really only a rough guide on fretless basses, they are very rarely spot-on accurate. It is probably just that these position markers were aligned for the lower strings and their position does not apply to the higher ones. Do your D and G strings get less accurate as you move further up the neck too?
Quote by Bumper
Looks like you had a big bowl of Downs Syndrome for breakfast.

Member of the Bass Militia, PM Nutter_101 to join

Lover of Ashdown? Join the Ashdown Army!
Whoops! I'm an idiot!

I thought I was hitting the third fret marker because my neck was at an angle, but I actually wasn't.

Problem solved

EDIT: Uhh nevermind. No, the G string doesn't stray out of tune. The C doesn't go out of tune, but it seems to be slightly less than one fret ahead of the rest of the strings. If it was neck problem, wouldn't it apply to every string?

EDIT II: I'm an idiot again. I "intonated" it to a different position on the neck than the rest of the strings.
Last edited by kirbyrocknroll at Jun 12, 2008,