Page 1 of 4
I searched and didn't see a topic about this.

" ' The Supreme Court ruled Thursday that foreign terrorism suspects held at Guantanamo Bay have rights under the Constitution to challenge their detention in U.S. civilian courts.

In its third rebuke of the Bush administration's treatment of prisoners, the court ruled 5-4 that the government is violating the rights of prisoners being held indefinitely and without charges at the U.S. naval base in Cuba. The court's liberal justices were in the majority.

Justice Anthony Kennedy, writing for the court, said, "The laws and Constitution are designed to survive, and remain in force, in extraordinary times.' "

You can read the rest here. I must say that i am very happy with their ruling. I'm glad to see that there are still sensible people in our government. The fact that four people opposed it bewilders me, but I guess that does not matter now.
WIN, I'm glad they came to this ruling.
Quote by soccermom
The only epic thing about the bass forum is Pete Wentz penis. Its Epic. Epic penis.
BASS, MT, AND PIT JUNKIE

i'm guessing this thread mainly concerns the domestic politics of the states.
are you all ready for a 'black' president?
sorry to post on this thread but its an important question and your politics effects all of us
Quote by Dimebagjeff
ahahah they just like the meat sandwiches

What? I think I missed something..

guessing this thread mainly concerns the domestic politics of the states.
are you all ready for a 'black' president?
sorry to post on this thread but its an important question and your politics effects all of us

Uh..this is a topic to discuss one paticular ruling of one part of our government. Not everything about the entire government.

But to answer your questio, yes.
Quote by hrdcorelaxplaya
Thank god... though I doubt any of them will actually get out.

Yeah...I thought about that but then again it doesn't really matter that much...just that they actually get a chance to...you know, be imprisoned for a good reason.

Although the fact that there even had to be situation like this is the stupidest bullshit. Ever. Fascist fucks.
Last.fm

WE ARE THE MUSIC MAKERS
AND WE ARE THE DREAMERS OF THE DREAMS
Quote by Dirtydeeds468
Yeah...I thought about that but then again it doesn't really matter that much...just that they actually get a chance to...you know, be imprisoned for a good reason.

Although the fact that there even had to be situation like this is the stupidest bullshit. Ever. Fascist fucks.

Pretty much. At least it didn't go on for that long, relatively speaking..

So far, everyone who has posted here is a damn idiot

How so?
Quote by Dirtydeeds468

Agreed. It's kind of bad for our image that we do something that pretty clearly violates our own Bill of Rights.

Quote by TC1223

You're doing little to dissociate yourself from them.
Quote by TC1223

Idiot.
Quote by SomeoneYouKnew
You should be careful what you say. Some asshole will probably sig it.

Quote by Axelfox
Yup, a girl went up to me in my fursuit one time.

Quote by Xiaoxi
I can fap to this. Keep going.
Does the Bill of Rights apply to non-citizens?

And before you jump down my throat, I don't know where I stand on this issue yet.
Bill and Ted Fan Club Member #3. PM ollerom_mot or me to join.

"Let the Spirit guide your fingers."
How so? ... Have some faith in our country for Christ's sake. Do any of you live anywhere close to Manhattan and know anyone who was murdered on their way to work to support their families? Well. I did. Those pieces of **** are locked up for a reason. Go ahead and defend them you dumb ****s.
Quote by TC1223

How so good idiot... I mean sir?
Quote by Teh Traineez0rz
yeah was weird cause she liked us both but she loved him and for some reason she let me know beforehand.

i just wanted her poon and she wanted me to have her poon.

so i had myself some poon.
Quote by TC1223

i think for the safety of the grand ol eagle you and eveyone else in the right wing need to be clipped off
Quote by TC1223
How so? ... Have some faith in our country for Christ's sake. Do any of you live anywhere close to Manhattan and know anyone who was murdered on their way to work to support their families? Well. I did. Those pieces of **** are locked up for a reason. Go ahead and defend them you dumb ****s.

So you have an extremely biased point of view, and not only are you making an ass out of yourself by saying it, your insulting others. Not everyone held in Gitmo is a terrorist involved in the planning of 9/11, so you need to calm down.

Quote by F8iscruel
i think for the safety of the grand ol eagle you and eveyone else in the right wing need to be clipped off

Quote by Teh Traineez0rz
yeah was weird cause she liked us both but she loved him and for some reason she let me know beforehand.

you need to read everything before you go all republican on people, its against the law to detain anyone for a eextended amount of time without evidence (prolly was some) reason ( was there too) and they have to be arrested and convicted to hold them after an extended amount
Quote by TC1223

Ok, so that gives us the right to lock up people indefinitely without a trial that may or may not be involved with terrorism at all for no reason? No, it doesn't. That makes as bad as the terrorists we're trying to stop.
Last edited by Spamwise at Jun 12, 2008,
Quote by TC1223

Yes, and my uncle went to the WTC Mondays, Wednesdays, and Fridays (9/11 was a Tuesday). Are you familiar with the concept of being "innocent until proven guilty"? It's quite important to the structure of our government, you should look into it.

And only a few of the detainees in gitmo are under suspicion of planning or helping the 9/11 attacks, anyway.
Quote by Spamwise
I must say that i am very happy with their ruling. I'm glad to see that there are still sensible people in our government. The fact that four people opposed it bewilders me, but I guess that does not matter now.

don't kid yourself. if there was a republican majority, they'd have voted for Bush's side. It's all about politics. I mean you'd think that the SUPREME COURT would be the one branch of the government where the members would be respectable enough to not be caught up in the whole washington soap opera, but that's not so. it's pretty much still the president's party voting for his side no matter what.
Quote by Glen'sHeroicAct
don't kid yourself. if there was a republican majority, they'd have voted for Bush's side. It's all about politics. I mean you'd think that the SUPREME COURT would be the one branch of the government where the members would be respectable enough to not be caught up in the whole washington soap opera, but that's not so. it's pretty much still the president's party voting for his side no matter what.

There is a Republican majority.
Quote by F8iscruel
you need to read everything before you go all republican on people, its against the law to detain anyone for a eextended amount of time without evidence (prolly was some) reason ( was there too) and they have to be arrested and convicted to hold them after an extended amount

You think about the safety of our people ?? Are you American? We are at war if you have forgotten. Sticking up for some maniac that would slice you and your mother's throat in the blink of an eye. WAKE UP
Quote by TC1223
You think about the safety of our people ?? Are you American? We are at war if you have forgotten. Sticking up for some maniac that would slice you and your mother's throat in the blink of an eye. WAKE UP

Uh, they can lock up people there without evidence. Chances are, more than just a few are regular people like you or me. This isn't saying that they simply get let go, it's saying that they get fair treatment.
Quote by TC1223

The fact that they have not even fucking been TRIED in court or sentenced definitely is atrocious and a violation of basic human rights. How can you assume that they are guilty!? Er, wait...YOU CAN'T.

Your emotionally-charged argument is NOT (I repeat, NOT NOT NOT NOT) legitimate, so stop arguing it.
Last.fm

WE ARE THE MUSIC MAKERS
Who else besides terrorists are at Gitmo?

sweet. i'm not sure how everything at Guantanamo works, but the insurgents are being treated as prisoners, not POWs, aren't they? or something, idk. i'm all for the war in Iraq, but Bush has been a real douchebag about taking people's rights away, even within our own country.
Quote by TC1223

Said maniac isn't in gitmo.

You could pretty easily be framed, put under suspicion of being a terrorist, and dumped in gitmo, especially if you were of Arab descent (which I'm confident you aren't). I doubt you'd feel the same way if that happened.

Quote by VaiSatchLaiho
Who else besides terrorists are at Gitmo?

Suspected terrorists. Suspected being the operative word.
Quote by TC1223

YAy, more biased comments from the (edit) biased new york guy...
Quote by Teh Traineez0rz

Last edited by Shirate at Jun 12, 2008,
Quote by TC1223

Like this guy ?

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/05/02/us/nationalspecial3/02gitmo.html

http://english.aljazeera.net/NR/exeres/AE290F88-4501-4E8C-825B-B264DF7B7218.htm

People died, so now we have the right to completely screw up the lives of people like Sami Al-Hajj? Who knows if he will ever completely recover mentally from what he went through.

Justice should be done, but if you let the military run wild and trample over peoples' rights, you are doing more injustice than actual justice, and I doubt anyone who died in the WTC attacks would want other innocent people to suffer for a crime they didn't commit, and right now its hard to tell how many people actually committed crimes with this sham of extra-judicial proceedings.
Last edited by bajeda at Jun 12, 2008,
Quote by Shirate
YAy, more biased comments from the racist j j j j j jackass!

How the hell is he being racist? I disagree with him, but come on.
Quote by hrdcorelaxplaya
Yes, and my uncle went to the WTC Mondays, Wednesdays, and Fridays (9/11 was a Tuesday). Are you familiar with the concept of being "innocent until proven guilty"? It's quite important to the structure of our government, you should look into it.

And only a few of the detainees in gitmo are under suspicion of planning or helping the 9/11 attacks, anyway.

"innocent until proven guilty" applies to US CITIZENS. NOT PEOPLE YOU ARE AT WAR WITH you moron. Some of those animals were in on the planning and the rest are in the plans to kill us in the future. Maybe a nuclear bomb in one of our states will change all of your opinions.
Quote by Shirate

Now I can see what kind of people I'm arguing with. Good day everyone.
Quote by TC1223
"innocent until proven guilty" applies to US CITIZENS. NOT PEOPLE YOU ARE AT WAR WITH you moron. Some of those animals were in on the planning and the rest are in the plans to kill us in the future. Maybe a nuclear bomb in one of our states will change all of your opinions.

It applies to anyone being held on US soil, and what does Gitmo qualify as? DING DING DING DING! US SOIL. Just because someone isn't from this country doesn't mean they don't get the same rights as we do when being held in our prisons. And I'm sorry, the racist comment was too far. But his assumption that everyone in gitmo is an arab terrorist is slightly racist. More biased, but slightly.

EDIT: In the end, arguing on the internet is like the special olympics, even if you win, you're still a retard. However, I think this is a good debate, not an argument
Quote by Teh Traineez0rz

Last edited by Shirate at Jun 12, 2008,
Quote by TC1223

We're not at war with the entire rest of the world, so we can't apply that concept selectively. If we say that habeas corpus doesn't apply to a Sudanese citizen like Sami Al- Hajj, then it can't apply to any foreign citizens, which is utter bull****.
Last edited by hrdcorelaxplaya at Jun 12, 2008,
Quote by TC1223
"innocent until proven guilty" applies to US CITIZENS. NOT PEOPLE YOU ARE AT WAR WITH you moron.

Really? Yeah, we should just kill them now.

Hint: I'm being sarcastic. You're wrong. This whole issue is about them now being tried under OUR laws.

DERP DERP DERP.
Last.fm

WE ARE THE MUSIC MAKERS
Quote by Shirate

I really don't see how that was racist at all.

Does anyone object to just the known terrorists being tortured for info?

Does anyone object to just the known terrorists being tortured for info?

Yes. it's still inhumane.
Page 1 of 4