Page 1 of 2
i thought this was pretty lame:

http://lifestyle.sympatico.msn.ca/6+Reasons+To+Avoid+Dating+Musicians/Relationships/Dating/NEWContentPosting_TheSoko?isfa=1&newsitemid=thesoko-1406&feedname=THESOKO_V2&show=False&number=3&showbyline=True&subtitle=&detect=&abc=abc&date=False

6 Reasons To Avoid Dating Musicians

The mysterious musician-type may not be all it's cracked up to be.

Trust me, I know of what I speak. My expertise in this area stems from several years of performing as a “Professional Musician” during which I dated and/or hooked up with at least a half dozen lead singers, a few guitar players, a drummer and a bass player or two. Not to mention, a plethora of poets and my fair share of groupies.

So let me outline the reasons musicians make bad significant others as I attempt to convince you to look elsewhere for love. I, myself, am guilty of several of the below offenses. The only reason I’m managing to maintain a steady, healthy relationship at the moment is because I haven’t played a gig in over a year.

Oh So Sensitive

By our very nature, we musicians are overly sensitive. The adjective has been applied to me on many occasions. This is a problem if you expect to be able to have a reasonable conversation about anything that could possibly inflame our passions. This is an especially prevalent problem with songwriters. Because we feel it necessarily to pour our souls into our songs for a living, our abundant emotion inevitably overflows into our personal lives as well. So don’t even think about telling us our carefully chosen stage outfit doesn’t do us justice. Chances are, we’ll take it the wrong way and insist on changing.

Mirror, Mirror, On The Wall

Musicians are infamously narcissistic. Even a little bit of fame and recognition can go to our heads and make us start thinking a little too highly of ourselves. We expect our significant other to be the one to shake us back to our senses when our egos take over. Unfortunately for you, this process can be exhausting and incredibly frustrating. Eventually, your partner’s big head might be a little too much to take on a daily basis.

On the Road Again

If you’re going to be a musician of any repute, you’ll be required to tour at some point or another. In the age of downloadable music, CD sales aren’t doing it for us anymore, so we have to make our living on the road. The obvious downside to this when it comes to relationships are the long periods of time we have to spend away from our significant other. So unless you have absolutely nothing better to do but follow your musician boyfriend/girlfriend around the country, get ready for a whole bunch of alone time.

Tour Hazards

So you’ve accepted that touring will keep your musical sweetie away from you for long stretches. That’s okay, you’ve got plenty to keep you busy right? Before you start celebrating your confident independence, consider what your significant other might be getting up to while he or she is out on the road. There are many temptations on tour including hard partying, drinking, drugs and, of course, groupies. Unfortunately for you, the lifestyle lends itself to these kinds of excesses and they are awfully hard to resist when constantly offered. Do you know for sure that your partner won’t be partaking in any dangerous substances or activities when you’re not looking?

Your Life In Song

At first it might seem really flattering and sweet that the musician in your life writes about you in song. Who doesn’t want a serenade written especially for them? The trouble comes when the songwriter has trouble separating private life from stage life. Soon enough, all of your intimate moments end up exposed in music for the entire world to hear. Oh, and don’t even think about getting into a dramatic quarrel with your lover…unless you want the audience to hear about it too.

Empty Pockets

You had to guess this one was coming. A friend once asked me, “What’s the difference between a musician and a mutual fund?” The answer, “A mutual fund eventually matures and makes money.” Yes, unless your love is Britney Spears (in which case you have a whole set of problems this list doesn’t begin to cover), you’re probably not going to be seeing too many extravagant nights out or expensive presents. You may be able to live without those luxuries, but when your broke guitarist boyfriend shows up on your doorstep because he’s been evicted (again), a quiet, boring accountant might start to look pretty good to you.

_______
Sounds like a load of stereotypical bullshit, or as I like to call it, the majority of information on the Internet.
Knowledge speaks, but wisdom listens.

When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace.

-Jimi Hendrix-

Quote by CodySG
You know you're in the drug thread when you see pictures of squash and "tuna nigga!" when you click the page.
Quote by dudetheman
Sounds like a load of stereotypical bullshit, or as I like to call it, the majority of information on the Internet.

that it does
Quote by Mr. La Fritz
"all fatties report to the gym!"

Quote by mosh_face

music should only sound like a train running into a wall of BC riches plugged into line 6 spiders
Quote by dudetheman

Ding-ding, we have a winner.
I only read the Oh So Sensitive part and I wanted to stab whoever wrote this right in the eyes. Maybe whoever the ****er is that wrote this is sensitive, but I don't think that can apply to all musicians. And who is this stupid woman? Why does she think anyone cares what she has to say?
i thought this was pretty lame:

Read the last bit... the article was ment to be a dull joke of sorts.
multicolour random messge!

FAC 13
"The hacienda must be rebuilt"
Quote by dudetheman

/thread

Last edited by Your Mother : Today at 03:44 PM
Thats BS. I am not sensitive or narcissistic, I have NO self esteem. And about the money thing, I could care less if what I do makes me happy and I make just enough to get by. More money is never a bad thing, but I would never compromise my musicianship and ideals to get it.
PANDEMIC GROUP

Slash is trash

I has golfclaps!
Quote by RevaM1ssP1ss

Quote by boreamor
Your avatar is the first thing that has made me laugh in a long time. I applaud you

Quote by superslash1994
Lmao, your avatar earns you a golf clap.
Quote by Curious Jeff
I only read the Oh So Sensitive part and I wanted to stab whoever wrote this right in the eyes. Maybe whoever the ****er is that wrote this is sensitive, but I don't think that can apply to all musicians. And who is this stupid woman? Why does she think anyone cares what she has to say?

^This statement is ironic
Rag Mop Do Do Duh DoDo Dedo Do!!!!!

R_A_G_G_M_O_P_P

RAGMOP
Thats a load of crap

So, because we make music, we are bad lovers?
Quote by Kumanji
How about you don't insult my friend's dead mum, you prick.

Quote by JDawg
Too be he had to be a dick about his crayons.
From page 2:

Of course, this article is written with tongue planted firmly in cheek. Some of my very best friends have been musicians and even the ones I dated obviously had their good points. So this is just a disclaimer for those hoping to find relationships free of drama (as if those exist with anyone). If you don’t want the roller coaster of a musician’s life, try looking for a nice, polite philosophy student. It worked for me!

Learn to read articles for chrits sake guys....

FAC 13
Another stereotype-ish article... I guess the bastard who wrote ain't even a musician, just another fool with prejudice. I'm a sensitive person but hell, that's not because I'm a musician, It's in my nature. And narcissic... tssssss... I don't really have self esteem and if I did, it wouldn't be because I'm a musician. This article sounds like "If you are [insert adjective here], it's because you're a musician."
Quote by Fiddelers elbow
From page 2:

Learn to read articles for chrits sake guys....

I'm sorry, but the idea of saying something with "tongue in cheek" is ridiculous.

Just because you say "no offense" or "take this with a grain of salt" doesn't mean people won't take offense, it's just a way of saying, "I'm about to give an offensive opinion of mine on something but I don't want to take blame for it."

It's like if I said, "Black people are the cause of most crime in the US!" and then followed it with, " No offense to black people though, some of my best friends are black, etc."

It doesn't work that way.

And I do not think black people are criminals. It was just an example used to get my point across.

-Jimi Hendrix-

Quote by CodySG
You know you're in the drug thread when you see pictures of squash and "tuna nigga!" when you click the page.
I'm guilty of the sensitive part, but thats about it..
As I always say: "Rawr"
Quote by dudetheman
I'm sorry, but the idea of saying something with "tongue in cheek" is ridiculous.

Just because you say "no offense" or "take this with a grain of salt" doesn't mean people won't take offense, it's just a way of saying, "I'm about to give an offensive opinion of mine on something but I don't want to take blame for it."

It's like if I said, "Black people are the cause of most crime in the US!" and then followed it with, " No offense to black people though, some of my best friends are black, etc."

And I do not think black people are criminals. It was just an example used to get my point across.

+1
Quote by dudetheman

black people are criminals
just not all of them
Quote by aedmiston
black people are criminals
just not all of them

That wasn't the main idea of my post, but sure, OK.

Some black people are criminals. So are some white people.

-Jimi Hendrix-

Quote by CodySG

And I do not think black people are criminals. It was just an example used to get my point across

Dont take yourself so seriously mate, its some poorly written article on the internet, not a personal attack on you or any of us.

FAC 13
Quote by Fiddelers elbow

Dont take yourself so seriously mate, its some poorly written article on the internet, not a personal attack on you or any of us.

I know.....

I'm just not a fan of stereotyping in any way, shape, or form.

-Jimi Hendrix-

Quote by CodySG
Bah, this article is useless; it's not as if any of us are going to be dating musicians!
So, how many of you guys are touring musicians like the article talked about, and not kids who sit in their room and play guitar all the time?

Really, the entire article is true, but I don't mind it. Groupies will still screw you.
Quote by Curious Jeff

This statement IS irony at its best.
Quote by Fiddelers elbow
Read the last bit... the article was ment to be a dull joke of sorts.

That makes it worse! this is the least funny thing I've read on UG in a while.
Quote by dminishedthingy
It didn't seem possible, but apparently Messiah can spam even more now.

Quote by \Powerslave/
I can see it now. "Dark Thrones and Black People".

Quote by \Powerslave/
I pretty much wank something small and sleek.

ololololololol

JOIN THE NEKROGESTAPO!
hehe i thought it was funny. don't be so sensitive guys.. oh wait.. you're all musicians.

Grammar and spelling omitted as an exercise for the reader.
Quote by Kivarenn82
hehe i thought it was funny. don't be so sensitive guys.. oh wait.. you're all musicians.

I wasn't offended by it, I just didn't find it even remotely funny. Not like the kind of thing where you don't find something funny because it's offensive or in bad taste, more like someone saying "hi" to you isn't funny.
Quote by dminishedthingy
It didn't seem possible, but apparently Messiah can spam even more now.

Quote by \Powerslave/
I can see it now. "Dark Thrones and Black People".

Quote by \Powerslave/
I pretty much wank something small and sleek.

ololololololol

JOIN THE NEKROGESTAPO!
Mirror, Mirror, On The Wall

Musicians are infamously narcissistic

Wow, hah, thats bull

All the musicians (well atleast the GOOD ones) I know have been really chill people

I mean, some I know even have like, REALLY low self-esteems. =/
I have 2 X Chromosomes
that means I'm a girl
Quote by theshroomman

Your Life In Song

At first it might seem really flattering and sweet that the musician in your life writes about you in song. Who doesn’t want a serenade written especially for them? The trouble comes when the songwriter has trouble separating private life from stage life. Soon enough, all of your intimate moments end up exposed in music for the entire world to hear. Oh, and don’t even think about getting into a dramatic quarrel with your lover…unless you want the audience to hear about it too.

MAy I say

I cum blood
Quote by stringmagician
So, how many of you guys are touring musicians like the article talked about, and not kids who sit in their room and play guitar all the time?

Really, the entire article is true, but I don't mind it. Groupies will still screw you.

Wait, what? No, it isn't. Unless you think you can stereotype 5 points into millions of people this article is completely wrong and stupid. Do you know EVERY musician to say that everyone is like those points listed? I didn't think so.

and just because people who play guitar in their basement don't "tour" that doesn't mean they are't musicians and shouldn't get offended by this blatant attack on their hobby.
Quote by red18420
There is no point except party and be healthy and happy. Also money is not something to live for. If i didnt need money for drugs and beer i would give mine away.

Vote here to help me get to BC!
Your Life In Song

Thankfully, metal musicians don't really fall into that category, unless their lovers happen to be Ed Gein, Ted Bundy or Harold Shipman.

I agree with a few, I can see myself become more narcissistic than I am already - for instance, I currently believe that I'm the Second Coming of Jesus.
Quote by DrewsGotTheLife
yea man, who ever doesnt like pantera or think they suck doesnt like metal, end of discussion, they changed the freakin world n made history, so don't be sayin they suck, have respect, same goes for machine head n lamb of god cuz their good too
Page 1 of 2