i just dont know where to go with it....

the progression is, all in barre chords..

C-minor, G# , D# minor, A#..

im looking to change it to mix it up a little...
any ideas ?
The One You Call Daddy
theres no A# in a c minor progression, the proper name would be Bb. the G# should be called Ab., and the D# should be Eb.
the chords you can use are C minor, d diminished, Eb major, f minor, G major, Ab minor, Bb diminished

Edit: correct me if im wrong, but im pretty sure you cant have a I-VI-III-vii. progression.
well you can, but itll sound jumpy

maybe a C minor- Eb major- Ab major- f minor- G major7-(repeat) would work.
Last edited by shameonthenight at Jun 12, 2008,
Quote by Ice15
i just dont know where to go with it....

the progression is, all in barre chords..

C-minor, G# , D# minor, A#..

im looking to change it to mix it up a little...
any ideas ?

If you're in C minor, that progression is actually Cm, Ab, Ebm, Bb.

Something you can do to make it more interesting is to throw a G major chord into the progression; it'll allow you to use C harmonic minor over that G chord.
Quote by shameonthenight
Edit: correct me if im wrong, but im pretty sure you cant have a I-VI-III-vii. progression.

ok i'll correct you, you're wrong

as far as i know he's not trying to base it off of any specific classical movement stylings (the rule that says no more than 2 steps either direction for any voice movement)

there are no rules in the end, there are guidelines and explanations. but nothing is set in stone. the hand of Bach will not b!tch slap you for writing outside of the conventional rules.

do I personally think this progression will sound good? i probably wouldn't appreciate it personally but thats just me. maybe he can take and make it into something wonderful or base it around key changes.
Quote by z4twenny
ok i'll correct you, you're wrong

as far as i know he's not trying to base it off of any specific classical movement stylings (the rule that says no more than 2 steps either direction for any voice movement)

there are no rules in the end, there are guidelines and explanations. but nothing is set in stone. the hand of Bach will not b!tch slap you for writing outside of the conventional rules.

do I personally think this progression will sound good? i probably wouldn't appreciate it personally but thats just me. maybe he can take and make it into something wonderful or base it around key changes.

im well aware of that, but i assumed that when he said that it was in C-minor, that he intended to follow the guidelines also.
If I stumm it just right and play the D# as a maj or just a power chord.
it'll sound just like Peace of mind by Boston
In a different pitch..

if I play it in a different order D#,C,G#,A#....it'll sound like sleepwalk

Maybe look up songs with these types of progression and see
what they use as the B part.

I dunno...maybe this

Fmin,Gmin, G#maj,A#maj

you don't want me writing the B part...becuase I do some crazy riff over Gmin
becuase it has a cool pull to the g# note
Last edited by Ordinary at Jun 13, 2008,
Quote by z4twenny
the hand of Bach will not b!tch slap you for writing outside of the conventional rules.
Just a little off-topic conversation...

Bach was a rule breaker. So was Mozart, and so was Beethoven. Everyone well known in the classical musical world at that time seemed to be a rule breaker of some sort.