I'm looking for a nice amp for practicing and small to medium sized gigging. I play alot of metal, classic rock, progressive music, as well as the occasional jazz type thing. I use a Stingray if that matters.

I've got my eye on the YBA200-2 and the DB400H, mainly the DB as I'm not really sure an all tube bass amp is what I need. I want something that can be clean as a bell, as well as overdrive quite a bit. I like a bright, treble-heavy sound for the most part, I'm not much of a 'warm' person.

Anyone have experience with these amps, or recommend anything else in the sub-$800 or so area?
Quote by MrPillow
I'm looking for a nice amp for practicing and small to medium sized gigging. I play alot of metal, classic rock, progressive music, as well as the occasional jazz type thing. I use a Stingray if that matters.

I've got my eye on the YBA200-2 and the DB400H, mainly the DB as I'm not really sure an all tube bass amp is what I need. I want something that can be clean as a bell, as well as overdrive quite a bit. I like a bright, treble-heavy sound for the most part, I'm not much of a 'warm' person.

Anyone have experience with these amps, or recommend anything else in the sub-$800 or so area?

Galien-Krueger is your friend methinks.
Proud Owner of a Fender Jazz 24 V

Private Simmons of the Red vs. Blue club. PM Fret13 to join.

Things to come:
Carvin or Trace-elliot rig
EBS Valvedrive (Newest edition )
If you don't like warm, do not look at tubes. Simply look at a good overdrive pedal like the Fulltone Bass Drive and pair it with about 300W of SS power.
Warwick freak of the Bass Militia. PM Nutter_101 to join

Quote by elliott FTW
Damn you and Warwickyness

Quote by ScottB
Quote by CLIFF_BURTON
gm jack knows everything
+1
So even a hybrid amp such as the DB400H is a bad choice? I understood it that the solid state power section would pretty much counter-act any 'tube warmth', but I may be completely wrong. I've pretty much ruled out the YBA200, but the DB still attracts me with its control options and footswitchable ss/tube preamp.
I have the yba200, as Jack said, avoid that (and all tube) if you don't like warm. The YBA has plenty of clean, but it is only one channel, so you can't just hop back and forth between overdrive and clean, also, with the stock preamp tubes at least, the preamp overdrive is not too impressive when it's set at "quite a bit." Sounds like it sure isn't for you.