So I just bought this:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=260247429747&_trksid=p2759.l1259

It arrived today, which, needless to say, got me super-pumped.

Of course, however, it doesn't work. I tried messing around with all the knobs to see if it was just because of the setting I had it on, but nope, it didn't change my tone/sound at all, no matter how I had the knobs set.

I took off the knobs, unscrewed all the nuts and opened it up, to get a look at the circuit board, and it seems like there are no problems with unshielded wires coming into contact with each other or anything.

Next, to see make sure that I actually had the switch on the right setting, since there's no LED, I tried playing through it without it plugged in (it runs directly off an AC cable, no battery here) and the bypassed signal worked, but the non-bypassed didn't make it through.

So, I'm just wondering if anybody here might be able to point me in the right direction to get this pedal fixed.

I'll take some pics after I post this and put them up.

And by the way, this pedal came from the back room of some music store that had been closed or something, and the person I bought it from said that they have a bunch of old spare parts (except for the one knob that is missing) in case it didn't work.

My theory is that one or more of the chips have gone bad over the years (hell if I know why), but I would love some input on this.

edit:

Pics:

Strat / SH-201 -> DOD Mixer -> ZVex Mastotron -> Fulltone Clyde -> BYOC OD II -> Ibanez FLL -> VS Chorus -> DOD FX 96 -> Boss DD-6 -> MXR 10-Band EQ -> Boss RC-2 -> Stereo Mixer -> Alesis PicoVerb -> Peavey Delta Blues 210/Yamaha Fifty112
Quote by rancidryan
time to get a multi metre out.....

test all the compnnents

Sorry to sound uber-n00bish, but I don't have a multimeter, so...

1) Where could I get one?

2) Which one should I get?

3) How would I go about using it?

etc., etc., etc.

Thanks in advance.
Strat / SH-201 -> DOD Mixer -> ZVex Mastotron -> Fulltone Clyde -> BYOC OD II -> Ibanez FLL -> VS Chorus -> DOD FX 96 -> Boss DD-6 -> MXR 10-Band EQ -> Boss RC-2 -> Stereo Mixer -> Alesis PicoVerb -> Peavey Delta Blues 210/Yamaha Fifty112
1) an electronics store
2) depends how much you want to spend but any one should be fine
3) for the resistors get a resistor colour code chart and check there all give the correct reading the capacitors etc
Well, seeing as how I really have no clue what I would need to do to check all of the components to see which (if any) are faulty, should I just take it in to a shop that may be able to fix it?

I mean, after taking it apart and checking what I knew how to check, I really am no closer to figuring out what's wrong. The only bit of info I derived from it was that the tone was slightly altered when the pedal was activated, yet there were no actual flanging effects happening. That is what led me to think that something is wrong with it's chips, but that's just a (very slightly) educated guess.
Alright, then I'll have to take this by a shop somewhere around here. Good thing I live in the LA area, so there are about 50 music stores I could take it to.

Thanks for the help.
Do you think they would be able to get it to work though? I mean, how could they really determine if it was in working order if they didn't have a guitar and an amp handy to try it through?

I'm thinking about taking it by this place called Truetone Music, over in Santa Monica. I hear they do repairs very well there, so I'll probably run it by there next week some time.
they would be more capable if anything as they would have the correct test equipment
Each one of those chips is socketed, meaning you could pop them out, and replace with new very easily. I would start by replacing all the chips. Make sure you insert them the right way. There's almost always a divet and/or a circle at one end only. If that doesn't fix it, you'll require a technician to help you.
Quote by Losenger
Each one of those chips is socketed, meaning you could pop them out, and replace with new very easily. I would start by replacing all the chips. Make sure you insert them the right way. There's almost always a divet and/or a circle at one end only. If that doesn't fix it, you'll require a technician to help you.

One problem though, I did a quick google search for those chips, and at least one of them was 15 bucks.

Here's all the serial numbers on all of the chips in there, if they can't be read from the pictures:

SGS 401 Italy LS4558NB (x4)
MC 14013 BCP RR8342
RETICON SAD1024A
Yea the little flanging chip is a pricey one. So not a good one to go throwing chips at trying to find a problem.
Is there a way to test a chip using a digital multi meter? If so, then I might actually go pick one up (I should anyway, I love messing with pedals), and try what rancidryan suggested: test each and every component and connection. All I would have to do would be to check continuity between the soldering points of every component to see if it's still allowing the signal to pass? Or, would I have to test for the voltage (I think that's what resistors affect, correct?) between every component? And doing that, what would I need to check to test caps or transistors or other parts?

Any help is SERIOUSLY appreciated. I really wanna get this baby to work, I've heard sound clips of it online and it sounds fantastic. Plus, I NEED ME SOME MODULATION EFFECTS!!!!!
before i go checking components, i'd try to clean that gunk with some alcohol. Whatever stuff that is, it may be conductive. (That's always my first try) Then try your hand with a multimeter. Tell me how it goes via PM please, as I don't know how to use multimeters either ='[
http://www.geofex.com/fxdebug/geriatric.htm
The above link has a step-by-step of what you should do.
Last edited by imgod22222 at Jun 14, 2008,
Quote by imgod22222
before i go checking components, i'd try to clean that gunk with some alcohol. Whatever stuff that is, it may be conductive. (That's always my first try) Then try your hand with a multimeter. Tell me how it goes via PM please, as I don't know how to use multimeters either ='[
http://www.geofex.com/fxdebug/geriatric.htm
The above link has a step-by-step of what you should do.

Thanks for the tip about cleaning the board. I'll try all the stuff on that website you linked, and I'll send you a PM about it if it works.