I had everything picked out, my brand new Fender Stratocaster... Then I find out I need to pick out a fretboard... Whats the differences between maple and rosewood?
Mainly feel. People will say they can hear the difference in the fretboard wood, Maple being brighter, but it could just be a placebo effect.
Maple sounds 'twangier', while rosewood adds a more mellow, dark touch to the sound. However, it's a rather subtle difference tonewise. The main difference is that rosewood fretboards often feel very rough (especially on Fenders for some reason), while maple fretboards are extremely smooth. Personally, I prefer maple because of it's feel. but I know some people don't like because it is too smooth for them.
You can find Strats with both sorts of fretboards in any given music store, best thing to do is go and try them out to see what you like better.
Quote by TheQuailman
Maple sounds 'twangier', while rosewood adds a more mellow, dark touch to the sound. However, it's a rather subtle difference tonewise. The main difference is that rosewood fretboards often feel very rough (especially on Fenders for some reason), while maple fretboards are extremely smooth. Personally, I prefer maple because of it's feel. but I know some people don't like because it is too smooth for them.
You can find Strats with both sorts of fretboards in any given music store, best thing to do is go and try them out to see what you like better.

He's right. It's very subjective. I'm one of those who prefer Rosewood because it is a bit rougher and less slippery. You really need to try them out. If it doesn't make any difference to you feel-wise, then it comes down to aesthetics. Whatever you think looks best.
Quote by andrew6986
I had everything picked out, my brand new Fender Stratocaster... Then I find out I need to pick out a fretboard... Whats the differences between maple and rosewood?

IMO, it really comes down to preference in terms of which one feels better to you. The sound difference is negligible, if it exists at all.
i like the maple
Quote by Jack Off Jill
Better than hooked on crack, I suppose. I'd rather know my kids are safe at home beating their meat than out in the world robbing old women for their crack fix.

Quote by *sigh*
What a huge coincidence. I have a butthole also.
I'd take rosewood over maple any day. 2 guitars (and 1 more coming), all rosewood, no problems. And it's not like i havent tried maple and i'm just knocking it.. it's just down to preference like its been said
Ibanez S470DXQM
Ibanez IC-400 [Made in Korea, Aug. 2005]
Ibanez Studio ST55 [Made in Japan, Sept. 1980]
VOX AD50VT Amp
Morley Bad Horsey Wah
BOSS MD-2 Mega Distortion Pedal
The only probelm I had was that some maple has finishes, and some rosewood by fender gets glossy just like it so I just picked what was ever easier to play
Rosewood for me. I have a maple strat, and it gets kinda sticky when I sweat. I think Rosewood looks better too.
well my opinion comes down to music played and pref on care and feeding as imo they are handled diff.

i like taking care or my rosewood for example as others might say maple is brighter or smooter or looks better.

to me care pawns looks or feel as those are very subjective

relative?
I've never found a guitar that maple looked good on. For that reason alone, I prefer rosewood(or ebony). Feel doesn't matter to me, I don't usually touch the fretboard when I play, and the tone difference is probably too subtle for me to detect.
This space foreclosed, due to the ailing economy.
Quote by TheQuailman

Aye Got a couple with rosewood and maple prefer the maple however, just seems softer for me
Quote by Free to Guitar
Feel doesn't matter to me, I don't usually touch the fretboard when I play...

How do you play the guitar with that technique?

Gear:
- Yamaha RGX121D in black
- Schecter C1 in white
- Marshall Valvestate 8080
- Roland Cube 20x
- Zoom G1X
- Guitar Rig 3 (for practicing )
rosewood
"Often it does seem a pity that Noah and his party did not miss the boat." -Mark Twain
i'd take rosewood over maple or ebony boards anytime. they say rosewood has a warmer tone.
Ibanez RG321MH (Air Classic/Tone Zone)
Fernandes Telecaster (Twang King/stock bridge pickup)
Blackstar HT-20 (Scumback 55 speaker/ Tung Sol tubes)
TC Electronic Nova Repeater
Lava Cables Clear Connect, Soar and Mini ELC
1 of my strats(highway1) has rosewood and the other (MIM) has maple. I like the maple more because the neck profile is different. The maple has a 9.5 radius and the rosewood has 12. I can't tell you if they sound different because although both are HSS the Maple is all EMG's. I like the looks better on the maple and the shape.
Fender Highway 1 Fat Strat
Fender MIM Standard Strat(EMG SL-20 loaded pickguard)
Gibson Les Paul Special
PRS SE singlecut
Schecter C-1 Classic
Schecter C-1 Hellraiser
Vox Valvetronix AD50-VT
Fender Blues Jr
Roland Cube 30X
Quote by leviticus_22953
i'd take rosewood over maple or ebony boards anytime. they say rosewood has a warmer tone.

If rosewood indeed does have a warmer tone than maple, it's because of its density. Ebony is more dense than rosewood, so if indeed there is a discernible tonal difference between fretboard woods, ebony would be warmer than rosewood.
Quote by imgooley
If rosewood indeed does have a warmer tone than maple, it's because of its density. Ebony is more dense than rosewood, so if indeed there is a discernible tonal difference between fretboard woods, ebony would be warmer than rosewood.

Though density is important, there are more factors that contribute to a wood's tonal character. It makes a difference if it is stiff or flexible, soft or hard... That's what a luthier told me, anyway. It's little things that have to do with the cellular structure and whatnot of the wood, but I'm not an expert on that matter.

Just thought I'd throw that in.
Quote by anonamooseguy
1 of my strats(highway1) has rosewood and the other (MIM) has maple. I like the maple more because the neck profile is different. The maple has a 9.5 radius and the rosewood has 12. I can't tell you if they sound different because although both are HSS the Maple is all EMG's. I like the looks better on the maple and the shape.

^Just adding to what you are saying as my MIM Strat with Rosewood fretboard has a 9.5" radius.

Off Fender.com:

Fingerboard Rosewood (p/n 013-4700) or Maple (p/n 013-4702), 9.5” Radius (241mm)
After having 2 rosewood fingerboards I bought a Fender Strat with a maple board.

If I was to buy again it would be rosewood
1979 Granada Les Paul
1983 Lado Flying V
2006 Fender Stratocaster
2007 Tenson Classical
2008 Epiphone Les Paul
2008 Yamaha Pacifica
2010 Gibson Les Paul Studio
2011 Dean Z 79 Series
2011 Ibanez 12 String Acoustic
2012 Messina Classical
I like rosewood on guitars more but when it comes to Fender i like the feel of there maple more then rosewood.
You just got try them out and see what you like.
Quote by Free to Guitar
I've never found a guitar that maple looked good on. For that reason alone, I prefer rosewood(or ebony). Feel doesn't matter to me, I don't usually touch the fretboard when I play, and the tone difference is probably too subtle for me to detect.

Slide?
Quote by TheQuailman
Though density is important, there are more factors that contribute to a wood's tonal character. It makes a difference if it is stiff or flexible, soft or hard... That's what a luthier told me, anyway. It's little things that have to do with the cellular structure and whatnot of the wood, but I'm not an expert on that matter.

Just thought I'd throw that in.

Got it in one. If I recall correctly ebony is brighter than rosewood. Not sure how it compares to maple, but I know ebony lends a more articulate sound than the other 2 woods.
I haven't played enough maple fretboards to pass judgment, but the feel on the few I have played is really bizarre under my fingers. It's ridiculously smooth feeling, kind of buttery even but not in a good way. Which is odd, because I play with a light enough touch my fingers never go all the way down to the fretboard... maybe its a combination of tone and feel?
i can hear a difference, but its extremely subtle. a large difference in feel though.
Quote by BryanChampine
It was like a orgasm in my ear.
Chea_man is the best.
just pick either on based on feel and looks, the sound difference it very subtle (i can hardly hear it) and can easily be tweaked with the amp.
Quote by mudfrog
How do you play the guitar with that technique?

I don't mash down on the strings, I use just enough force to stop them on the fret and prevent buzzing. This usually keeps my finger out of contact with the fretboard itself. I still brush up against it a bit on the high E side but not enough for me to feel a big difference between necks.

That, or guitar calluses have dulled my sense of touch.
This space foreclosed, due to the ailing economy.
On Strats, maple is the way to go, all other guitars, rosewood or ebony.
ALWAYS

WANNA BE WITH YOU,
MAKE BELIEV
E WITH YOU,
AND L
IVE IN HARMONY, HARMONY,

OH, LOOVE!
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
for looks or feel or sound?

'cause i've got a Rosewood and i like the way it looks, feels and sounds

all three. I doon't know why, but I don't like the feel or sound of a maple fretboard at all unless it's on a Strat. They give it that nice chimey sound that i like about strats, it feels good, and it looks good too. The rest of the time, I prefer rosewood, it feels more solid to me, and I like a bassy sound.
ALWAYS

WANNA BE WITH YOU,
MAKE BELIEV
E WITH YOU,
AND L
IVE IN HARMONY, HARMONY,

OH, LOOVE!
Probably just repeating what others have said, maple is said to be brighter, rosewood, warmer, also they have different feels.

To just add in there Ebony sustains more.
My strat's maple neck is sticky, not slippery, but i LOVE IT!
/CENTER]