I found a les paul studio from 1993 with a hardshell case for $700 around where I live, and was wondering if these things are any better or worse than the 2007/2008 les paul studios that are being sold nowadays. So do you guys think I should wait for a more current model or go with this 1993 one?
in my opinion, once a guitar, especially a electric guitar gets that old, it should be re-setup, because alot can go wrong in that time and the frets and neck would also have wear and tear. I think that 700 is a good deal if it has been setup, but if not you should try for lower.. having said all that, i would wait and see if you can get a newer model. I don't know where you live, but where i live in toronto, ontario, canada, i can find a 2005 les paul studio for around 800-900.
^ +1

And if the owner treated it well, you shouldn't have any issues like having to get it setup up again or really bad neck wear. My Kramer which is 25 years old has had no issues since I got it(except some minor wiring things) and plays much better than a lot of guitars hanging up at Guitar Center....
Yeah I'm already going to go over and play it tomorrow.

The les paul is lacking pickup covers (no chrome or gold plates over the humbuckers), and also lacks a pickguard. Did the earlier studios not have these? Or do you think that the guy took them off himself?

He sent me pictures of the guitar, and there are no scratches or anything. Looks mint.

Thanks for the advice to the guys who responded. Anyone else have any suggestions?

EDIT: and to the guy who told me to wait for a newer model, there are a few current year models being sold from $800-900 around here too. But if I can get a better quality les paul for even cheaper than its newer counterparts, then why not?
Last edited by ilikeguitar90 at Jun 12, 2008,
Quote by ilikeguitar90

The les paul is lacking pickup covers (no chrome or gold plates over the humbuckers), and also lacks a pickguard. Did the earlier studios not have these? Or do you think that the guy took them off himself?

He sent me pictures of the guitar, and there are no scratches or anything. Looks mint.

Thanks for the advice to the guys who responded. Anyone else have any suggestions?

EDIT: and to the guy who told me to wait for a newer model, there are a few current year models being sold from $800-900 around here too. But if I can get a better quality les paul for even cheaper than its newer counterparts, then why not?

studios never come with pickguards, and it probably used to have pickup covers, but removing or putting them in is a simple procedure, and if you want them back, it will be cheap and easy to buy some and put them on.
EDIT: I was wrong about the pickguard, I was thinking about the studio premium plus. I'm not sure whether or not older studios had pickguards or not.
Fender Standard American Stratocaster
Boss DS-1
Budda Budwah
Electroharmonix Small Clone
Vox AD50VT
Last edited by deathbyawesome at Jun 13, 2008,
If the '93 Les Paul Studio is still in pretty good condition, I'd get it. If it didn't have any major damage then I don't think I would get it. But if it was like in need of a set-up, then I'd get it and just get it set-up.

And, you can just get the Pickup covers and/or pickguard from like GC if you wanted them.

The mid-90's Studios are famously great quality, eaisly as good as any Standard. Even if it's a bit scratched up or something, that's an amazing price for it, get it!
Yes, I know everything. No, I can't play worth a damn.
A child is trafficked and sold for sex slavery every 30 seconds. Support Love146.
i have a 93, and my buddy also has a 93 and both are just rediculous... they sound and play so well... you will NOT be disappointed if you make the dive and get it
2008 M.I.A. HSS Strat
Marshall JCM 900 50w Dual Reverb
Quote by ilikeguitar90

he may have changed the pickups, or just took the covers off, and he took the pickguard off, they came with the 498t 490r setup and they were available in gold or chrome
2008 M.I.A. HSS Strat
Marshall JCM 900 50w Dual Reverb
alright thanks for the help guys. I'm definitely going to get it as soon as I try it out

I was just worried about it not having a pickguard or pickup covers because if they came stock with them, then that would mean he did modifications, and he doesn't mention any modifications he might have made. I will definitely ask him what pickups are currently in it.

And he sent me some good pics of it; no scratches or anything, looks like it's mint condition, and comes with a hardshell case.
Quote by ilikeguitar90
alright thanks for the help guys. I'm definitely going to get it as soon as I try it out

I was just worried about it not having a pickguard or pickup covers because if they came stock with them, then that would mean he did modifications, and he doesn't mention any modifications he might have made. I will definitely ask him what pickups are currently in it.

And he sent me some good pics of it; no scratches or anything, looks like it's mint condition, and comes with a hardshell case.

You're getting a good deal. Early '90s Studios are amazing, not subject to the QC issues that plague the line today.